ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly 3 Out Of 4 Support Raising Legal Age To Buy Any Gun; Support For Assault Weapons Ban Hits A Low

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017

Americans support 74 - 24 percent raising the minimum legal age to buy any gun to 21 years old nationwide, according to a Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pea-ack) University national poll of adults released today. Democrats (91 - 7 percent), independents (76 - 22 percent), and Republicans (59 - 39 percent) all support raising the minimum legal age to buy any gun to 21 years old nationwide.

"As mass murders by teenage killers tear at the heart of the country, Americans say by a three to one margin, you should be 21 to buy a gun," said Quinnipiac University Polling Analyst Tim Malloy.

GUN LAWS​

Americans support 57 - 38 percent stricter gun laws in the United States. That is an increase in support for stricter gun laws from a Quinnipiac University poll in November 2021 when 45 percent supported stricter gun laws in the United States and 49 percent opposed.

Democrats (91 - 8 percent) and independents (56 - 38 percent) support stricter gun laws in the United States, while Republicans (64 - 32 percent) oppose them.

Fifty-two percent of Americans think the United States would be less safe if more people carried guns, while 37 percent think the United States would be safer if more people carried guns.

There is near unanimous support (92 percent) for requiring background checks for all gun buyers, while 7 percent oppose requiring background checks for all gun buyers.

Americans support 83 - 12 percent a so called "red flag" law allowing police or family members to petition a judge to remove guns from a person that may be at risk for violent behavior.

Half of Americans (50 percent) support a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons, while 45 percent oppose it.

In today's poll, 50 percent of registered voters support a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons, while 45 percent oppose it. This is the lowest level of support among registered voters for a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons since February 2013 when the question was first asked by the Quinnipiac University Poll. The highest level of support among registered voters for a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons was in a Quinnipiac poll on February 20, 2018 when 67 percent supported a ban and 29 percent opposed.

"Nearly a decade after the school shooting at Sandy Hook and in the midst of a raging partisan and emotional debate, the assault weapon maintains a foothold, as calls for outlawing ownership hit their lowest level," added Malloy.
While 41 percent of Americans think the United States should pursue limiting the number of guns in the country, 55 percent do not think so.

Forty-two percent of Americans expect lawmakers in Washington D.C. to take action on reducing gun violence this year, while 54 percent do not.

GUN VIOLENCE​

Americans were asked what they think is the main cause of mass shootings by young people in the United States. They say:

• mental health issues: 40 percent;
  • availability of guns: 19 percent;
  • family instability: 17 percent;
  • social media: 10 percent;
  • entertainment such as movies, music, and video games: 7 percent.
There are big differences by party identification. Republicans think the main cause of mass shootings by young people is mental health issues (45 percent) followed by family instability (23 percent) and social media (10 percent). Democrats think the main cause of mass shootings by young people is the availability of guns (46 percent) followed by mental health issues (31 percent) and social media (9 percent). Independents think the main cause of mass shootings by young people is mental health issues (41 percent), family instability (19 percent), and the availability of guns (15 percent).

Reactions: ericram
I agree to raise the age limit.

We had a pretty intense discussion at the office yesterday. My boss is liberal and is the only
Liberal in our office. The topic of ammunition came up. He couldn’t believe that the shooter had 375 rounds of ammo.

He quickly found out that 375 rounds isn’t much. We had several coworkers with ammunition in the 5000 to 10,000 round range

• Wow
Reactions: 86Hawkeye

We had a pretty intense discussion at the office yesterday. My boss is liberal and is the only
Liberal in our office. The topic of ammunition came up. He couldn’t believe that the shooter had 375 rounds of ammo.

He quickly found out that 375 rounds isn’t much. We had several coworkers with ammunition in the 5000 to 10,000 round range
It's more than enough to kill lots of people.

Suggesting it's OK because a lot of people have more ammunition is stupid and lazy.

Reactions: Torg

Americans support 74 - 24 percent raising the minimum legal age to buy any gun to 21 years old nationwide, according to a Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pea-ack) University national poll of adults released today. Democrats (91 - 7 percent), independents (76 - 22 percent), and Republicans (59 - 39 percent) all support raising the minimum legal age to buy any gun to 21 years old nationwide.

GUN LAWS​

Americans support 57 - 38 percent stricter gun laws in the United States. That is an increase in support for stricter gun laws from a Quinnipiac University poll in November 2021 when 45 percent supported stricter gun laws in the United States and 49 percent opposed.

Democrats (91 - 8 percent) and independents (56 - 38 percent) support stricter gun laws in the United States, while Republicans (64 - 32 percent) oppose them.

Fifty-two percent of Americans think the United States would be less safe if more people carried guns, while 37 percent think the United States would be safer if more people carried guns.

There is near unanimous support (92 percent) for requiring background checks for all gun buyers, while 7 percent oppose requiring background checks for all gun buyers.

Americans support 83 - 12 percent a so called "red flag" law allowing police or family members to petition a judge to remove guns from a person that may be at risk for violent behavior.

Half of Americans (50 percent) support a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons, while 45 percent oppose it.

In today's poll, 50 percent of registered voters support a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons, while 45 percent oppose it. This is the lowest level of support among registered voters for a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons since February 2013 when the question was first asked by the Quinnipiac University Poll. The highest level of support among registered voters for a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons was in a Quinnipiac poll on February 20, 2018 when 67 percent supported a ban and 29 percent opposed.

While 41 percent of Americans think the United States should pursue limiting the number of guns in the country, 55 percent do not think so.

Forty-two percent of Americans expect lawmakers in Washington D.C. to take action on reducing gun violence this year, while 54 percent do not.

GUN VIOLENCE​

Americans were asked what they think is the main cause of mass shootings by young people in the United States. They say:

• mental health issues: 40 percent;
  • availability of guns: 19 percent;
  • family instability: 17 percent;
  • social media: 10 percent;
  • entertainment such as movies, music, and video games: 7 percent.
There are big differences by party identification. Republicans think the main cause of mass shootings by young people is mental health issues (45 percent) followed by family instability (23 percent) and social media (10 percent). Democrats think the main cause of mass shootings by young people is the availability of guns (46 percent) followed by mental health issues (31 percent) and social media (9 percent). Independents think the main cause of mass shootings by young people is mental health issues (41 percent), family instability (19 percent), and the availability of guns (15 percent).
Seems like there’s a lot to work with in those numbers. Plenty of room for some meaningful changes. Just need to make sure they pass constitutional muster.

Great, most of the prior instances the "kid" took the gun or was given the gun. So, sure, the prudent thing to do is make a law because something happened once. I wish we would focus on things that happen multiple times a day

Great, most of the prior instances the "kid" took the gun or was given the gun. So, sure, the prudent thing to do is make a law because something happened once. I wish we would focus on things that happen multiple times a day
This is bullshit. Not to mention there are proposals to make gun owners secure their weapons and be responsible for who they let use them. But you guys will balk at that as well even though it is exactly what a responsible gun owner should be doing.

It's a shame that just about anything gun wise has become a purity test for Republican politicians. They personally may support something, it may be supported by a majority of the total population, maybe even among Republican voters as well. However, if the politician comes out and supports it they'll get primaried by a wingnut and replaced.

It's a shame that just about anything gun wise has become a purity test for Republican politicians. They personally may support something, it may be supported by a majority of the total population, maybe even among Republican voters as well. However, if the politician comes out and supports it they'll get primaried by a wingnut and replaced.
Yeah, it’s a good thing there are no purity tests for democrats.

Don’t give a shit. Raise the damn age.
So are you then going to raise the age to join the military to 21? If you are going to raise the age to purchase a weapon, then you shouldn't be asking the military to train those under 21 how to use them to defend this country.

Really poor thought to ask a 17.5 year old to go fight a war with various weapons to keep you safe, only to then deny them the right to defend themselves when at home...

Are you going to raise the driving age to 21 as well since 11 kids die everyday from texting and driving? Or should we hold the cell phone mfg's responsible?

I know that noone under the age of 21 in Chicago, Baltimore, DC, LA, HOuston, would ever dream of buying a gun illegally if you change the age limit, kind of like alcohol\tobacco.

Why the hell would someone need 5 - 10k rounds of ammunition? The GUBerment isn’t going to come take their precious guns anytime soon, and I don’t think a civil war is imminent. Tell Rambo to start collecting baseball cards or something instead.

Why the hell would someone need 5 - 10k rounds of ammunition? The GUBerment isn’t going to come take their precious guns anytime soon, and I don’t think a civil war is imminent. Tell Rambo to start collecting baseball cards or something instead.
How many rounds will the bad guys get to have?

Reactions: 24 so far
Better yet,.. How would you track the amount of stored unspent ammo any one individual had?

Reactions: Gimmered
So are you then going to raise the age to join the military to 21? If you are going to raise the age to purchase a weapon, then you shouldn't be asking the military to train those under 21 how to use them to defend this country.

Really poor thought to ask a 17.5 year old to go fight a war with various weapons to keep you safe, only to then deny them the right to defend themselves when at home...

Are you going to raise the driving age to 21 as well since 11 kids die everyday from texting and driving? Or should we hold the cell phone mfg's responsible?

I know that noone under the age of 21 in Chicago, Baltimore, DC, LA, HOuston, would ever dream of buying a gun illegally if you change the age limit, kind of like alcohol\tobacco.
Yes

Especially when that ammo is loaded into high capacity magazines. Bigger body counts
And that's the issue. I have more than a 1000 rounds of ammo, mostly 115 grain target ammo, but I don't have any high-capacity mags or any semi-auto rifles either. I do own two 15-round, 9MM mags, but I'd do a buy-back on them and switch to 10. Zero issue with that.

Also, looking at those polling numbers, why in the frack hasn't the age limit been increased to 21 already? ...in fact, let's just raise it across the board:

- Alcohol purchase - 21*
- Marijuana purchase - 21*
- Tabaco purchase - 21*
- Gun purchase - 21*
- Military Service - 18

*Serve honorably, you can have early access to the ones above.

Reactions: Jan Itor

We already have provisions that allow military members to purchase and carry handguns. I could be just as easy with all guns.

Anyone that doesn't understand that someone in a room full of kids for 3 minutes or 93 minutes, with a pump action rifle will do the exact same damage as with an AR-15 is too clueless to be in these discussions. The only reasonable action is to keep them out of that room. It's doable.

Better yet,.. How would you track the amount of stored unspent ammo any one individual had?
Wait until they figure out some of us reload.

Foe those of you asking why anyone would need 1000 rounds of ammo. Because if I go to the range and shoot 500 rounds I only have 500 left. Kinda like why you buy a case of beer instead of however much you drink a day.

Anyone that doesn't understand that someone in a room full of kids for 3 minutes or 93 minutes, with a pump action rifle will do the exact same damage as with an AR-15 is too clueless to be in these discussions. The only reasonable action is to keep them out of that room. It's doable.
Left alone, you're absolutely right. However, I'd like to believe that officers would kick the door down as soon as his 5th shot goes off during his reload. And YES, we sadly do need to fortify our schools.

Boss goes home to consider upcoming performance reviews:

stewie-griffin-curl-up.gif

Left alone, you're absolutely right. However, I'd like to believe that officers would kick the door down as soon as his 5th shot goes off during his reload. And YES, we sadly do need to fortify our schools.
A pump action rifle can take a 30 round magazine or larger. It would have only a slightly slower rate of fire than an AR-15. Legal in all 50 states cause it ain't a nasty assault weapon. So, you can rest your hopes on all those cops hanging out in the hallway all you want I guess.

So by that definition someone should be well trained to be allowed to own a gun? Like more than an online course put out by the people who advocate and actively lobby for gun ownership?
No, you would need to actually insert the meaning in the 2nd Amendment where it's a preamble before the actual right is stated. You know, before the comma.

No, you would need to actually insert the meaning in the 2nd Amendment where it's a preamble before the actual right is stated. You know, before the comma.
So then tell me what you perceive "well regulated" to mean. Because if you're going to rely on only a document written hundreds of years ago as the basis for gun ownership, how can you just ignore those two very significant words?

So then tell me what you perceive "well regulated" to mean. Because if you're going to rely on only a document written hundreds of years ago as the basis for gun ownership, how can you just ignore those two very significant words?
I'm not ignoring those words. On the contrary, I'm telling you what the meaning is, and telling you the context of those words in the 2nd Amendment.

A well regulated (trained) Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Militia meant all able bodied men. The first phrase, before the comma, is a preamble explaining why the right is being stated. The right itself is the second and third phrases. The militia (all able bodied men) is necessary for the security of a free state. The right itself is for the people, not a militia.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The second amendment identifies the need for a "well regulated militia" independent from the "right of the people to bear arms",... Hence gun ownership is a right that belongs to the citizen. If and when those citizens are called upon to participate in a formed militia, that militia can and will be regulated by the state.

I'm not ignoring those words. On the contrary, I'm telling you what the meaning is, and telling you the context of those words in the 2nd Amendment.

A well regulated (trained) Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Militia meant all able bodied men. The first phrase, before the comma, is a preamble explaining why the right is being stated. The right itself is the second and third phrases. The militia (all able bodied men) is necessary for the security of a free state. The right itself is for the people, not a militia.
I still think you're replacement of "regulated" with "trained" is off, but I get your point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT