ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly 700 teachers projected to leave Omaha Public Schools by July 1

A truck driver with little to no post secondary education makes more bank than a teacher with a master’s degree in elementary education (or heck, even a PhD). And they don’t have to worry about awful kids or their shitty parents.
That’s a good point. These teachers who are leaving can just go get their CDL and make bank. Not sure why anyone would teach when those lazy truck drivers are making so much money.

A truck driver with little to no post secondary education makes more bank than a teacher with a master’s degree in elementary education (or heck, even a PhD). And they don’t have to worry about awful kids or their shitty parents.
80,000 jobs to refill. $90k starting pay radio commercials on Iowa radio.

Better than learning coding.

Not surprising, this is just the start. Have fun crazies, sure you will be in charge of the schools but won’t have anyone to lead.

I can’t wait until Iowa is in the same boat and COVID Kim will probably be trying to get legislation passed to force those with a teaching license to teach.

Not surprising, this is just the start. Have fun crazies, sure you will be in charge of the schools but won’t have anyone to lead.

I can’t wait until Iowa is in the same boat and COVID Kim will probably be trying to get legislation passed to force those with a teaching license to teach.
May I ask what you mean by "sure you will be in charge but won't have anyone to lead"?

All leftwing driven self inflicted wounds.

The profession has done this to themselves.

oh-wait-youre-serious.gif

Ooo. So "won't have anyone to lead" means won't have any teachers?
Correct. I mean that’s what an organization is….you have board lead by dictating policy, management enact plan for policy (administration), workers execute the plan (teachers).

That’s a good point. These teachers who are leaving can just go get their CDL and make bank. Not sure why anyone would teach when those lazy truck drivers are making so much money.
Well, that's what they are doing in some cases. Although there's a lot of hidden costs to being a truck driver that takes away from their pay. Like, they have to pay for their own gas. And they have to pay for their own truck, or be leasing the truck from the company they are hauling for. I suppose there are companies out there with their own trucks and just pay you to run stuff from one place to another, but I doubt they pay as much.

Well, that's what they are doing in some cases. Although there's a lot of hidden costs to being a truck driver that takes away from their pay. Like, they have to pay for their own gas. And they have to pay for their own truck, or be leasing the truck from the company they are hauling for. I suppose there are companies out there with their own trucks and just pay you to run stuff from one place to another, but I doubt they pay as much.
Blasphemy. I’ve been assured above that truck drivers unfairly make more than teachers who have a doctorate.

There will probably be a huge influx of teachers migrating to blue states in the coming years.
Bingo. States like Minnesota are not really shy about the fact they are actively recruiting Iowa teachers.
There are a few educators in family and friends groups, and one just recently decided to do just that.

Guessing truck drivers work weekends and the 2.5 months in the summer also.

Of course you would twist it that way. The complaint wasn't that truck drivers were making too much money.
Well there’s only so much $ out there to be had, and if you want to give teachers more, the truck drivers are going to pay for it in taxes. Why does a doctorate even qualify someone to make more money as a teacher anyway? You’d think they could reward based on performance only. The flaws of government I guess 🤷‍♂️

My no-pic, OG certified, MA in Reading Education, 1st grade teacher wife is calling it quits after 34 years not because she doesn’t love the work but because of all the bullshit. I foolishly thought I could do a few more years but next year will be my last after 32 years. I might even go out in January next year if it’s as bad as this year. The certifications we have between us will cost well over $15K to replicate in our replacements…and that’s not factoring in the cost of my wife’s MA.

Teacher shortage is like any other field.

over time it will work itself out with higher pay and likely more consolidation. Small rural schools are in a battle of who blinks first in many areas.

I see many districts already offering bonuses for some STEM positions.

Reactions: Hammer93
What did teachers do to be called groomers? Be specific.
The right-wing spotlight shines very brightly and you don't want to be in the crosshairs of these idiots. Now the MAGA's who flood Trump rallies, go to school board meetings with their lies and outrage. I wonder what % even pay taxes as they apparently don't have freaken jobs.

As a resident of Omaha and a child in the k-5 OPS system I can say that our experience with the school has been wonderful. The teachers and staff have been excellent. I worry about middle and high school tho. I hear a lot of complaints primarily from middle and high school level

Reactions: 3boysmom
My oldest wanted to be a teacher, and then changed course. Why go into a profession where you are vilified and disrespected? Or, have some parent who doesn't care enough to come to a parent/ teacher conference all of a sudden showing up at school board meetings screaming that parents have rights to know what kids are being taught, and teachers are groomers!

Idk but incentivizing people to go get arguably worthless degrees seems pretty foolish. Over-qualifying yourself shouldn’t be rewarded.
Obviously teachers should be evaluated based on standardized test scores.

Obviously teachers should be evaluated based on standardized test scores.
🤷‍♂️ not the greatest measure either, but certainly a better measure than a phd. I mean, come on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT