ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly 700 teachers projected to leave Omaha Public Schools by July 1

Link to me ever calling anyone a groomer?
You said teachers brought that on themselves, genius. Why don't you elaborate?
Some teachers are quitting because kids…….
And if so, that failure is on their parents and community. But I think 3boysmom is closer to the truth...
OPS isn’t unique in this in Omaha. The numbers are higher because it’s the largest. But they are all losing teachers. I have friends teaching in 4 of the area districts and they’ve all said it’s bad. The opening of new schools I’m sure isn’t helping matters. And most are more upset at the politicians and parents than behaviors of the kids.
Nailed it.

Insight from a teacher on ToS:

"This year's group of sophomores are, in many ways, our Lost Generation. I have had 64 kids on the roster for my two sections but only 43 remain. Of the 43 that remain, 5 never show. Of the 38 I see regularly, 9 will, without a doubt, not graduate. There are at least 5 others that could easily not make it. There has been a lot about this year that is demoralizing."

The middle school my wife teaches at has a similar policy. This year she had one kid whose phone she turned into the office and a parent/guardian had to pick it up at the end of the day. She got scheduled for a meeting with the mom and principal a few days later right after school and the mom told them how inconvenient that was and ended up screaming and saying they were the two stupidest people she had ever talked to and from now on she was telling her kid he didn't have to listen to anything they said.
One of my best friends is a teacher in a non OPS school. She was subbing for another class in her building (because there aren't enough subs anymore either) and the regular teacher's rule is all phones go in a box. All of the kids put their phones in the box but one. My friend doesn't back down and tells the kid she needs to put her phone in the box. Kid walks out of class and the principal comes back and says she has in her 504 that she gets to keep her phone. My friend was dumbfounded.

No, I’m good. Hit me with your best shot. You looked like an imbecile the last time you ran your mouth off like this. Do it again.
No, I’ve made myself clear. You talk shit about everyone and call for help from the authorities when they respond. Not falling for it again.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Thanks for proving my point.
You post a hundred times a day, have multiple handles, play video games, and embarrass yourself in every thread. On a board that’s pretty divided, one thing that unifies us all is that everyone here would easily kick the living shit out of you.

Now say something dumb.

You post a hundred times a day, have multiple handles, play video games, and embarrass yourself in every thread. On a board that’s pretty divided, one thing that unifies us all is that everyone here would easily kick the living shit out of you.

Now say something dumb.
I think you just said enough dumb stuff to last us for awhile.

Reactions: NCHawk5

Now say something dumb.
I bet you’d love to believe that. Unfortunately I’m a much bigger guy than you, so hopefully you have some MMA training to compensate. I don’t play video games. As if that’s some sort of insult?

I bet you’d love to believe that. Unfortunately I’m a much bigger guy than you, so hopefully you have some MMA training to compensate. I don’t play video games. As if that’s some sort of insult?

From the thread titled “PlayStation Owners.” You seem pretty plugged into gaming in that one. Or is that just another lie you tell people here?

No way, the FPS improvements are unbelievable. Way better for shooters. $500 is seriously nothing compared to getting something similar on a PC.

From the thread titled “PlayStation Owners.” You seem pretty plugged into gaming in that one. Or is that just another lie you tell people here?
I know a lot about them, but I play maybe 5 hours per year in total. I used to be very into them when I was younger. You know, similar to a large number of Americans in my demographic at the time. I guess that makes me…. A nerd? Lol I guess if that’s the insult you want to throw, have at it.

One of my best friends is a teacher in a non OPS school. She was subbing for another class in her building (because there aren't enough subs anymore either) and the regular teacher's rule is all phones go in a box. All of the kids put their phones in the box but one. My friend doesn't back down and tells the kid she needs to put her phone in the box. Kid walks out of class and the principal comes back and says she has in her 504 that she gets to keep her phone. My friend was dumbfounded.
There really needs to be a link to an academic issue for each accomodation provided with an IEP and 504. That one is horseshit.

I had an IEP once where I was expected to notify the student in advance whenever I was going to be gone. I told my principal that I can't be expected to know in advance when I am sick and if I am sick it is an unreasonable expectation to add this on top of everything else I have to make sure is set up for with a substitute. I don't think she really cared to much about that, but what got her attention was when I brought up that an accomodation like this is just screaming for a lawsuit because the first time a teacher has an emergency and needs to leave and this kid isn't notified in advance, then they have grounds to sue the school. Ultimately, it was reworded so that it was basically "if possible". But geeze.

There really needs to be a link to an academic issue for each accomodation provided with an IEP and 504. That one is horseshit.

I had an IEP once where I was expected to notify the student in advance whenever I was going to be gone. I told my principal that I can't be expected to know in advance when I am sick and if I am sick it is an unreasonable expectation to add this on top of everything else I have to make sure is set up for with a substitute. I don't think she really cared to much about that, but what got her attention was when I brought up that an accomodation like this is just screaming for a lawsuit because the first time a teacher has an emergency and needs to leave and this kid isn't notified in advance, then they have grounds to sue the school. Ultimately, it was reworded so that it was basically "if possible". But geeze.
Ok...that is a new one for me. That's bananas. Hell no would I go for that.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Parents need to support discipline and respect in the classrooms
It's the number one thing that changed from when I went to school to working in them. I've been lucky because I have taught so many siblings that the parents know if one of their kids is in trouble with me they earned it. However one can run into the parent, though I gave all of her kids EXCEEDS on behavior for several years, and the ONE time I called home about the oldest for making a girl cry - he dared me, mom totally defended her boy and was belligerent with me. Damn mama bears. lol

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Most are quitting because adults...including adults who refuse to raise their kids. Had a student pull his phone out in class a few weeks ago. I told him to put it away. A few minutes later, it's out again. I told him I had to take it...school policy. He refused. I told him to stay in class after everyone was dismissed (last class of the day). He refused and walked out. A half hour later I'm calling his mom (the adult) who he has already called. She's giving ME hell telling me he should have gotten a warning. I told her he got one - I asked him to put the phone away and he pulled it back out. She still defended him and said she was going to talk to our new AP (another adult) - apparently, they've already spoken. I explained the situation to the AP and told him to expect the call. Nothing happened to the kid. Last week, nearly a carbon copy. Phone out, refused to surrender it, walked out after class. I wrote him up this time. Get an email from the AP saying he talked to the mom and THE NEXT TIME IT HAPPENED there would be consequences. smh - the FNG is worthless.

I have not had this happen specifically but it makes me not want to follow through on school policy for fear of something like this. I feel like 70% of parents probably would support the phone policy but the other 30% (plus outsiders who have no stake in the game) will be the loudest.
That sucks. We put in our handbook last year that they get one warning, then we can take it. If they give it to a teacher they get it at the end of the period. If they refuse to give it to a teacher it goes to the office until the end of the day with an automatic detention and the parents have to pick up the phone. If they refuse to give it to the principal/office it's an automatic suspension. Great policy.

Love this policy and I'm bringing it up to admin. It will get shut down for not being equitable for parents that work 2nd/3rd shift.
Insight from a teacher on ToS:

"This year's group of sophomores are, in many ways, our Lost Generation. I have had 64 kids on the roster for my two sections but only 43 remain. Of the 43 that remain, 5 never show. Of the 38 I see regularly, 9 will, without a doubt, not graduate. There are at least 5 others that could easily not make it. There has been a lot about this year that is demoralizing."
Yep. But the kids need to be receptive to what they need to do catch up.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Rural schools outside of a city is a different story. The vast majority of rural schools are in there middle of nowhere, and they are struggling mightily to find teachers of any kind. As I said, there will be a massive teacher shortage in the coming years, and it's going to get ugly.
Just a FWIW, MANY occupations are seeing precipitous drops in newcomers/applications. I am not minimizing any challenges in the education field, but bear in mind that this phenomenon of vanishing candidates is not at all unique to education.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Just a FWIW, MANY occupations are seeing precipitous drops in newcomers/applications. I am not minimizing any challenges in the education field, but bear in mind that this phenomenon of vanishing candidates is not at all unique to education.

I used to get 25 applications to review when I had a position open up (great pay and benefits). Two months ago, I got 7 applications for that same job, with just 3 who were qualified.
This same phenomenon is happening everywhere.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
You are absolutely right in the current moment.

The teacher shortage issue is at least a decade old in some places

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Of course, but educating our children is way more important than a vast majority of all other jobs.

Of course, but educating our children is way more important than a vast majority of all other jobs.
Wasn’t important enough to try to avoid doing so for a year and a half because of Covid. Even though Covid barely affected kids at all.
Schools had to be forced to teach kids in person in some districts.

• Haha
Reactions: Mpchillin
Well of course teachers are vital, but so are many, many other professions and occupations. I assume you would also agree that a healthy society should have qualified health care professionals, quality plumbers, knowledgeable electricians, competent engineers, etc, etc.

Without these, and other, key functions also working well...teachers don't have a building to go to, or electricity to power their laptop, etc, etc.

While I do agree and empathize with a lot of what the teachers here have to say, I also see some evidence of exaggerated self importance and "woe is me" attitude, as though their profession is the only one experiencing stress and difficulties.

It is rough for a RANGE of otherwise good people these days...not just teachers.

I know a lot about them, but I play maybe 5 hours per year in total. I used to be very into them when I was younger. You know, similar to a large number of Americans in my demographic at the time. I guess that makes me…. A nerd? Lol I guess if that’s the insult you want to throw, have at it.
No one will ever confuse you for a nerd, rest assured; all people need to do is read your posts. A doughy fatass that interfaces with the world via screens however is a certainty. Keep working those cheetofingers!

Well of course teachers are vital, but so are many, many other professions and occupations. I assume you would also agree that a healthy society should have qualified health care professionals, quality plumbers, knowledgeable electricians, competent engineers, etc, etc.

Without these, and other, key functions also working well...teachers don't have a building to go to, or electricity to power their laptop, etc, etc.

While I do agree and empathize with a lot of what the teachers here have to say, I also see some evidence of exaggerated self importance and "woe is me" attitude, as though their profession is the only one experiencing stress and difficulties.

It is rough for a RANGE of otherwise good people these days...not just teachers.
Yeah, there are many important positions. None of them can exist without education.

Thank you for proving my point.

Reactions: Dr. Spaceman
No one will ever confuse you for a nerd, rest assured; all people need to do is read your posts. A doughy fatass that interfaces with the world via screens however is a certainty. Keep working those cheetofingers!
Seriously just stop. You don’t know who I am. You just get your panties in a bunch because I got in your head a few weeks ago. Not a tall task btw. Your ridiculous personal attacks on anyone not on their knees for the Democratic Party are really getting old.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Seriously just stop. You don’t know who I am. You just get your panties in a bunch because I got in your head a few weeks ago. Not a tall task btw. Your ridiculous personal attacks on anyone not on their knees for the Democratic Party are really getting old.
Sadly, name calling occurs when someone is unable to defend their position.

Reactions: NCHawk5
Seriously just stop. You don’t know who I am.
I know that you're a hundred-posts-a-day troll who got the boot and then proceeded to register God knows how many troll accounts just so you could post laugh emojis until the mods lifted your ban. I think that says literally all there is to say about you.

You know that the dude you're siding with just got out of timeout because that's exactly what he was doing, right?
Do you see me calling anyone names now? The only one throwing out names, baseless allegations, and personal attacks is you. Give it a rest, no one cares about your stalking habits.

Yeah, there are many important positions. None of them can exist without education.

Thank you for proving my point.
And where is this education going to take place without roads, buildings, food, indoor plumbing, electricity, etc? You are actually proving my point. You see yourself as the center of the universe as a teacher...while a vital role, there are also MANY other vital roles/positions in society.

And there are many forms of education other than just classroom teaching. Yes, you have an important role, but get over yourself.

Do you see me calling anyone names now? The only one throwing out names, baseless allegations, and personal attacks is you. Give it a rest, no one cares about your stalking habits.
You're getting mocked by numerous other posters all over this forum. Save the "The only one... is you" nonsense. You bring it upon yourself.

You're getting mocked by numerous other posters all over this forum. Save the "The only one... is you" nonsense. You bring it upon yourself.
It’s expected. This board is like 90% liberal and I post conservative views. If they weren’t crying about it, I would be doing it wrong.

I would also like to point out that there isn’t a shortage of trained teachers in this country. There is a shortage of people who want to teach due to the way they are treated by society at large.

Though I am smart enough to admit that some teachers don’t do themselves any favors.

Reactions: gohawks50
It’s expected. This board is like 90% liberal and I post conservative views. If they weren’t crying about it, I would be doing it wrong.
I post some conservative, liberal, and moderate views. And when folks disagree with me I've been mocked. But I don't get up on the cross about it. Stop being a damn baby.

I post some conservative, liberal, and moderate views. And when folks disagree with me I've been mocked. But I don't get up on the cross about it. Stop being a damn baby.
I’m not, just explaining to the boy that his logic is flawed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT