ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly half of Americans think U.S. should be ‘Christian nation,’ poll finds But Pew respondents differed widely in describing what that term might me

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
an:

Close to half of Americans say the United States should be a “Christian nation,” one of several striking findings from a sweeping new Pew Research Center survey examining Christian nationalism.
But researchers say respondents differed greatly when it came to outlining what a Christian nation should look like, suggesting a wide spectrum of beliefs.

“There are a lot of Americans — 45 percent — who tell us they think the United States should be a Christian nation. That is a lot of people,” Greg Smith, one of the lead authors of the survey, said in an interview. But “what people mean when they say they think the U.S. should be a Christian nation is really quite nuanced.”

Christian nationalism has become a trending topic in midterm election campaigns, with extremists and even members of Congress such as Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) identifying with the term and other Republicans, such as Rep. Lauren Boebert (Colo.) and Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano, expressing open hostility to the separation of church and state. In the roadshow known as the ReAwaken America Tour, unapologetically Christian nationalist leaders crisscross the country spouting false claims and baptizing people.
Right-wing roadshow promotes Christian nationalism before midterms
Pew’s findings, released Thursday, suggest the recent surge in attention paid to Christian nationalism has had an effect on Americans, although some suggested that politicians may be staking out positions to the right of those who merely say America should be a “Christian nation.”

ADVERTISING

“I used to think it was a positive view, but now with the MAGA crowd, I view it as racist, homophobic, anti-woman,” read one response to the survey question.
According to the poll, which was conducted in September, 60 percent of Americans believe the United States was originally intended to be a Christian nation, but only 33 percent say it remains so today. Most (67 percent) say churches and other houses of worship should keep out of political matters, with only 31 percent endorsing faith groups’ expressing views on social and political issues.

Even those who believe America should be a Christian nation generally avoided hard-line positions. Most of this group (52 percent) said the government should never declare any particular faith the official state religion. Only 28 percent said they wanted Christianity recognized as the country’s official faith. Similarly, 52 percent said the government should advocate for moral values shared by several religions, compared with 24 percent who said it should advocate for Christian values.

But the pro-Christian U.S. group was more split on the separation of church and state: 39 percent said the principle should be enforced, whereas 31 percent said the government should abandon it. An additional 30 percent disliked either option, refused to say or didn’t know.
For GOP’s attorney general nominee, God’s law comes before Maryland’s
Most in the group (54 percent) also said that if the Bible and U.S. laws conflict, Scripture should have more influence than the will of the people.
Smith stressed that some respondents who expressed support for a Christian nation “do mean that they think Christian beliefs, values and morality ought to be reflected in U.S. laws and policies.” But many respondents “tell us that they think the U.S. should be guided by Christian principles in a general way, but they don’t mean that we should live in a theocracy,” he said. “They don’t mean that they want to get rid of separation of church and state. They don’t mean they want to see the U.S. officially declared to be a Christian nation. It’s a nuanced picture.”

What else could people say if they were asked? They're conditioned to guilt if they reject religion, or even consider alternative thinking. In my generation, my rural small town culture religion (the church) was a central part of the community. It was enlightening to me to realize the control the church had on people when I left and realized the exhilaration of totally free thought.

Totally free thought. Thought without bias, unencumbered by tradition or restrictions. Liberalism.

Totally free thought. Thought without bias, unencumbered by tradition or restrictions. Liberalism.
Unless you say “men don’t get periods”. Then you’re thrown out of the Church of Liberalism quicker than a Trump tenant late with their rent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT