ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly half of US workers say their job hurts their mental health, survey finds

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006

Four out of 10 workers in the United States report that their job has either a somewhat negative or extremely negative impact on their mental health, according to a new Gallup survey released Thursday.

"For employees, their jobs and their workplaces more generally are significant influences on their overall wellbeing and the wellbeing of their family members,"Dan Witters, primary author of the study and research director at the Gallup National Health and Wellbeing Index, told ABC News. "That for so many their current job is harming their mental health is a devastating reality that leaders are going to need to come to grips with and take seriously."

Overall, per the study, almost 1 in 5 workers reported that their mental health was poor or fair, the two lowest ratings on the survey.

Notably, those workers reported approximately four times as many unplanned absences from work due to poor mental health than did workers who reported better mental health. Absences from work result in lost productivity. Per the study, across the entire workforce in the U.S., missing work due to poor mental health is estimated to cost the US economy over $47 billion a year in lost productivity.

"There is no question that mental health is a serious issue facing our society and our working age population … workers are struggling with mental health challenges to a high degree right now," Dr. Chris Cunningham, professor of occupational health psychology at the University of Tennessee, told ABC News.

Over 60% of the U.S. population -- more than 160 million people -- is in the workforce, and the average person who works full-time spends approximately half of their life when awake at work, according to theBureau of Labor Statistics and the Department of Health and Human Services.

Thus, workplaces can have a significant impact on mental health and well-being for a lot of the U.S. population.

Terrifying...I only have one person at my workplace on my "be really nice to them so they don't put you on their list" list.

Couldn't imagine working with so many disgruntled employees.

Mine has gotten worse in the past couple years with Board members and property managers.

There are some truly dumb and evil people out there

Terrifying...I only have one person at my workplace on my "be really nice to them so they don't put you on their list" list.

Couldn't imagine working with so many disgruntled employees.
Why terrifying? Mental health isn’t just the extreme stuff. Lot of folks dealing with “relatively normal” anxiety/depression related to workplace stuff.

Why terrifying? Mental health isn’t just the extreme stuff. Lot of folks dealing with “relatively normal” anxiety/depression related to workplace stuff.
The vast majority of those in poll fall into the category you describe...

Any uptick in the "going postal" crowd is terrifying though. I think it's prudent to identify likely suspects in your work place and be exceedingly nice to them....

Honestly surprised it's not more. A lot of people are exhausted, overworked, underpaid. Definitely wears on a person.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT