ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly two-thirds of US young adults unaware 6M Jews killed in the Holocaust

May 26, 2007
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/16/holocaust-us-adults-study

Almost two-thirds of young American adults do not know that 6 million Jews were killed during the Holocaust, and more than one in 10 believe Jews caused the Holocaust, a new survey has found, revealing shocking levels of ignorance about the greatest crime of the 20th century.

According to the study of millennial and Gen Z adults aged between 18 and 39, almost half (48%) could not name a single concentration camp or ghetto established during the second world war.

Almost a quarter of respondents (23%) said they believed the Holocaust was a myth, or had been exaggerated, or they weren’t sure. One in eight (12%) said they had definitely not heard, or didn’t think they had heard, about the Holocaust.

More than half (56%) said they had seen Nazi symbols on their social media platforms and/or in their communities, and almost half (49%) had seen Holocaust denial or distortion posts on social media or elsewhere online.

Why didn’t the OP include the actual paragraph that included the stat instead of just the first few. Seems like that’s some thing you’d include if posting about it or not posting any of the article and rely on everyone to read it.

Also, what’s the actual breakout of the ages surveyed. I have a hard time believing someone in the late 30’s didn’t know it happened or how many died.

Why didn’t the OP include the actual paragraph that included the stat instead of just the first few. Seems like that’s some thing you’d include if posting about it or not posting any of the article and rely on everyone to read it.

Also, what’s the actual breakout of the ages surveyed. I have a hard time believing someone in the late 30’s didn’t know it happened or how many died.
Why didn't you post it in your complaint?

If you want wholesale copy-and-paste, then you'll want to see a feller who goes by the name of cigaretteman.

Teachers.

Just look at the ones we have here.

Time to blow up the system.
Its not the teachers, it is the books they are required to use....The America text book industry is one dirty, political industry....and it is heavily influenced by the morals and standards of the State of Texas and California.....A lot of inconvenient history is never taught to our kids....and it is "political correctness" on BOH sides of the philosophical aisle that are responsible.

The high school history classes of the 21st century are no
longer giving students a true look at Western Civilization.

As was previously mentioned we now have politically correct
text books in our class rooms. Instead of a honest look at
history we have a sanitized version which helps nobody.

Well, the world will always need ditch diggers and wretched refuse to fill our for-profit jails. Looks like we have a great pool of candidates.

Edit: Looks like you were just a bit late on the topic post, so I award you the following:

76485072.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the world will always need ditch diggers and wretched refuse to fill our for-profit jails. Looks like we have a great pool of candidates.

Edit: Looks like you were just a bit late on the topic post, so I award you the following:

76485072.jpg

Tasteless.

Almost two-thirds of young American adults do not know that 6 million Jews were killed during the Holocaust, and more than one in 10 believe Jews caused the Holocaust, a new survey has found, revealing shocking levels of ignorance about the greatest crime of the 20th century.

According to the study of millennial and Gen Z adults aged between 18 and 39, almost half (48%) could not name a single concentration camp or ghetto established during the second world war.

Almost a quarter of respondents (23%) said they believed the Holocaust was a myth, or had been exaggerated, or they weren’t sure. One in eight (12%) said they had definitely not heard, or didn’t think they had heard, about the Holocaust.

More than half (56%) said they had seen Nazi symbols on their social media platforms and/or in their communities, and almost half (49%) had seen Holocaust denial or distortion posts on social media or elsewhere online.

U.S. involvement in wars wasn't taught when I was in school in the 60s. Maybe on a macro level. I can't remember. I gained my knowledge through reading, which became a hobby.

I love the usual suspects blaming teachers for kids not accepting facts. Our President routinely rejects facts and openly encourages his followers to do the same and follow Qanon conspiracy theories. And yet you’re shocked when students reject facts? Lol.

Reactions: lucas80
Standards.

We have set the standards so low, so incredibly low.
The ADULTS are the ones who set the standards. It is the "business" of textbooks that is the problem more than any thing. A couple of states (California and Texas, notably) "standardize" the core curriculum and that standardization includes the text books used at each grade level. The bidding of contracts with these states is a HUGE undertaking with HUGE payoffs and rewards for the winning textbook company. Material for these texts are "tailored" for the customer and will teach what the customer wants taught...and ignore what the customer wants ignored...remember, "the customer" is always right....Therefore what gets into these texts is not necessarily the real history of events, in the case of history....These text book makers then sell these same texts to other independent school districts.....after they have been tailored especially for someone else. Lots of history gets whitewashed, misrepresented, slanted or totally ignored.

Reactions: millah_22

What do you expect with school systems where learning and respect are optional????

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
For the past 20 years of teaching I’ve asked the same one question on the first day of school. “Who is the Vice President of the USA?”

14% of students from 6th-12th grade have known the answer. What kids don’t know these days would startle the hell out of you. Especially in regards to US Geography. Holy hell.

The education system has done a great job of minimizing the ill effects of big government.

I mean, at least we’re not executing our citizens because they have differing religious beliefs. Or are actively committing genocide like China. Could be worse.
Barr is working on the supporting statutes. These things take time. Dotting the Is, crossing the Ts.

For the past 20 years of teaching I’ve asked the same one question on the first day of school. “Who is the Vice President of the USA?”

14% of students from 6th-12th grade have known the answer. What kids don’t know these days would startle the hell out of you. Especially in regards to US Geography. Holy hell.
That would have been pretty hard for me to believe growing up until I moved to a rural town with an average high school for my soph year on. My first year of public school was 9th grade in a not rural town and I would think the number was way higher than 14% at that school. I think it would have been higher in the rural school too, but lower than the not rural school. At the Catholic school? There were like 4 kids out of 60 or so in grades 6-8 who wouldn't have known that and their parents were basically keeping the lights on at the place

Reactions: FAUlty Gator

I knew all the states, their capitols, flags and nicknames in 2nd grade. I learned that by myself. That was 1976.

Yup. 12 years of Catholic school did me good.
It was amazing to see adults who couldn't look at a map and name the states. I'm sure even fewer people are able to do it now. I can name 95% of the nations on a world map. Since the USSR revealed its states, I never learned them all.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
So... ITT I have seen the blame placed on, by teachers, former teachers and teacher-apologists:
  1. Students
  2. Parents
  3. Textbooks (my favorite)
  4. and the Curriculum
Not one has the nerve, balls, moxy or intellectual honesty to admit many teachers just aren't very good. Not all teachers are bad... I've said many times a great teacher can change your life forever. They are out there. But most simply aren't.

Funny its the same ones who are bewildered that good cops don't turn bad cops in and thus are complicit in their bad behavior.

For at least 30 years the Public School System has been a bastion of Progressive Liberal dogma. The Union will throw its weight around at the drop of a hat. They protect the bad teachers at the expense of the students and their power. There is no one to blame but themselves.

So... ITT I have seen the blame placed on, by teachers, former teachers and teacher-apologists:
  1. Students
  2. Parents
  3. Textbooks (my favorite)
  4. and the Curriculum
Not one has the nerve, balls, moxy or intellectual honesty to admit many teachers just aren't very good. Not all teachers are bad... I've said many times a great teacher can change your life forever. They are out there. But most simply aren't.

Funny its the same ones who are bewildered that good cops don't turn bad cops in and thus are complicit in their bad behavior.

For at least 30 years the Public School System has been a bastion of Progressive Liberal dogma. The Union will throw its weight around at the drop of a hat. They protect the bad teachers at the expense of the students and their power. There is no one to blame but themselves.

Perfect answer.

Coming off the TOP ROPE!
giphy.gif

Reactions: coloradonoles
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT