ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly two-thirds of US young adults unaware 6M Jews killed in the Holocaust

I knew all the states, their capitols, flags and nicknames in 2nd grade. I learned that by myself. That was 1976.
giphy.gif

So... ITT I have seen the blame placed on, by teachers, former teachers and teacher-apologists:
  1. Students
  2. Parents
  3. Textbooks (my favorite)
  4. and the Curriculum
Not one has the nerve, balls, moxy or intellectual honesty to admit many teachers just aren't very good. Not all teachers are bad... I've said many times a great teacher can change your life forever. They are out there. But most simply aren't.

Funny its the same ones who are bewildered that good cops don't turn bad cops in and thus are complicit in their bad behavior.

For at least 30 years the Public School System has been a bastion of Progressive Liberal dogma. The Union will throw its weight around at the drop of a hat. They protect the bad teachers at the expense of the students and their power. There is no one to blame but themselves.
Bullshit!
Text books teach. Watered down texts affect real learning.
Teachers can be no better than their text books. That is the reality of the situation.

I knew all the states, their capitols, flags and nicknames in 2nd grade. I learned that by myself. That was 1976.
Plus locating them on a map. We did all that, too. We even had to know the 99 counties in Iowa and their location. After our high school consolidated we for a former high school social studies teacher in elementary. She was best known for Iowa history, we did a lot of it.

Do they not teach Government and Civics anymore?

Reactions: seminoleed
Bullshit!
Text books teach. Watered down texts affect real learning.
Teachers can be no better than their text books. That is the reality of the situation.
Teachers can definitely be a better teacher than what a textbook provides otherwise online teaching wouldn’t be so bad right now or the teachers wouldn’t even be needed.

In our public high schools it helps when our teachers
have also gotten a Masters Degree. It demonstrates
their commitment to be a good teacher who values
advanced education. As a result the students will
benefit from teachers who know what they are teaching.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Plus locating them on a map. We did all that, too. We even had to know the 99 counties in Iowa and their location. After our high school consolidated we for a former high school social studies teacher in elementary. She was best known for Iowa history, we did a lot of it.

Not much, frankly. I'm currently taking a class my system is offering on how to work Civics into lesson plans for middle school Social Studies. It's a baby step, but the county obviously wants to see more of this.

Civics is taught in junior high.....government is alone semester requirement inn high. School.

In most school districts it is teachers that review and recommend.......In Texas it is a “state board” that is politically appointed I believe....but this is why it is imperative citizens become involved in their local schools and their selections of board members.
First in Texas they are elected... to 4 years terms and there are 15 of them. Currently there are 10 Rs and 5 Ds in Texas. I do not know the textbook decision procedure in Texas.

But if the teachers themselves are reviewing and recommending the textbooks they use, you can blame the teachers for shitty textbooks... THEY AGREED TO THEM.

I do agree with you that local elections are orders of magnitude more important to your average life than a national election.

As someone else has said if textbooks were all we needed everyone could learn remotely and we wouldn't need teachers. But as the parent of a high-schooler who is currently going to school 50% of the time it has been a massive struggle learning from a book.

1.Terrible Parenting
1a. Cellphone/Social Media
2. Changing history books to make the far left happy
3. Far left teachers
4. Kids are lazy

For the past 20 years of teaching I’ve asked the same one question on the first day of school. “Who is the Vice President of the USA?”

14% of students from 6th-12th grade have known the answer. What kids don’t know these days would startle the hell out of you. Especially in regards to US Geography. Holy hell.

What happens if you ask that now? 14% Kamala Harris, 40% "Mike Pence, that traitor", then a bunch of write-ins for Tebow?

Just 'membered this thread because this vid wandered into my life via youtube algorithm:

Reactions: Monzon and TJ8869
U.S. involvement in wars wasn't taught when I was in school in the 60s. Maybe on a macro level. I can't remember. I gained my knowledge through reading, which became a hobby.

I was in school in the 60s and I remember it being taught. Memory issues maybe?

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
For the past 20 years of teaching I’ve asked the same one question on the first day of school. “Who is the Vice President of the USA?”

14% of students from 6th-12th grade have known the answer. What kids don’t know these days would startle the hell out of you. Especially in regards to US Geography. Holy hell.
Ain't just these days. When I met my wife, in her early 40s, she thought New Mexico was part of Mexico.

The further you are removed from history in time, the less relevant is becomes. How many baby boomers have the most basic knowledge of World War 1?

For that matter, the German extermination program against the Jews was made prominent by trial of Eichmann in 1960. The United States, or allies did not launch a campaign to educate its citizens or the world of the atrocities. The Nuremberg Trials were in fact without drama in relation to the crimes and many German officials escaped prosecution entirely.

That's a simple fact, your knowledge of it doesn't say anything about your actual intelligence. Knowing that the holocaust was really bad and that "lots of jews" died in it due to Hitler is the essence of it.

Lots of stuff about the Revolutionary and Civil wars. What else relating to our history? And if YOU received education re: World Wars 1 and 2 and Korea, I would be interested in the subject materials.

I'm not saying I didn't receive period history lessons, it's not likely I would not remember. I'm a World War 2 hobbyist, my father was a bomber pilot with stories I was raised with, and I have acute attention. I have visited most WW1 battlefields in Belgium and France and have dozens of artifacts my grandfather collected from battlefields, some with no doubt gruesome overtones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT