ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska 133 leaving

Hawks don't always pull red-shirts. But when we do, its for Spencer F@$%ing Lee.

Touche! LOL

Renteria was our best 133#r and had he manned up, was easily a top 8 or higher guy. We finished 9th, but about three points out of seventh, and even sixth was possible with him high AAing. Even with the year he did or didn't have, he should have scored enough points at NCAAs to justify not redshirting him. Also,133 is a weight he should be able to make, Dont think for a second, there aren't multiple guys on any team making the type of cut he was asked to make.

Last edited:
Touche! LOL

Renteria was our best 133#r and had he manned up, was easily a top 8 or higher guy. We finished 9th, but about three points out of seventh, and even sixth was possible with him high AAing. Even with the year he did or didn't have, he should have scored enough points at NCAAs to justify not redshirting him. Also,133 is a weight he should be able to make, Dont think for a second, there aren't multiple guys on any team making the type of cut he was asked to make.

He went 11-6. I don't know how that equates to being easily a top 8 guy. That said, I don't know enough about the ins and outs of his weight or what prompted him to wrestle whether to comment on whether it was a good or bad decision to wrestle him.

Touche! LOL

Hard to not get motivated for a guy like Manning.

I don’t know crap about any of this. I don’t know who could beat who outside of Lee. I just trust the coaches to know whether this would work or not. Papa - you probably know as much about J as anyone. I really have not seen enough from Austin, Murin or Turk to know how J would stack up. I do know he would get insane training in the Iowa room especially at his weight. Between the Brands, Gilman, Clark, and current lower weight wrestlers he would improve greatly I have to assume. I just wish the kid luck.

No he didn't. He struggled all year. More 'want to' and discipline than anything.

Wait...what? You mean he didn't wrestle for you guys the whole second half and in B1G? We agree...he did struggle like a lot of freshman do with nutrition/discipline. He should have been watched like an umm Hawk (no pun intended) and micromanaged if this was an issue. He was your best 133 and with who you have coming in, he should have sat all year. Two years from now, you guys would have had a real good, trophy type squad. Trust me when I say I wanted that kid to succeed at Nebby.

Renteria was having weight issues all year, pulling the shirt late in the year for a kid struggling to make weight is just not a great move.
Renteria wrestled in six B1G duals, the same number as Spencer Lee.

Renteria wrestled in six B1G duals, the same number as Spencer Lee.

Spencer also wrestled at Midlands and in an open before that. Spencer's issue was his knee. JRent's was his ability to cut. Spencer had 7 matches before his shirt was pulled. JRent wrestled zero opens before his RS was pulled.

So this board thinks that JRent should have redshirted last year because he was having trouble with the cut (ignoring the fact that he made weight for 7 duals and the B1Gs). So assuming he had redshirted, what would be the master plan? Sit on the bench behind Red until he's a Senior? Try and bulk up to 149/157 and hope he's the best in the room (unlikely since he couldn't even bump up one weight and be the starter)?
No, I think JRent was destined forever to become a Hawkeye.

So this board thinks that JRent should have redshirted last year because he was having trouble with the cut (ignoring the fact that he made weight for 7 duals and the B1Gs). So assuming he had redshirted, what would be the master plan? Sit on the bench behind Red until he's a Senior? Try and bulk up to 149/157 and hope he's the best in the room (unlikely since he couldn't even bump up one weight and be the starter)?
No, I think JRent was destined forever to become a Hawkeye.

No...physically he can still make the cut to 133 and be fine. It comes down to discipline. A lot of young guys have this issue...some can seamlessly roll into college and be fine while others just cannot. It's the reason they give a redshirt year or at least a chance to wrestle some opens to get used to making weight. He wasn't given that chance for whatever reason. For example, why didn't he wrestle at Midlands but was able to wrestle the following week?

It's not as if he is being let off the hook...he will always be the guy who missed weight at NCAAs. But if you're a coach and know that a guy might have issues, why not be heavily monitoring the situation? And on Iowa, I might have agreed with you a few months ago but I don't know if I see it happening now.

Reactions: fufighters
I saw Rentara take Valdivez down five times and smoke em. Valdivez won a couple matches at NCAAs and is a top 20 kid likely next year. Paul Glynn and Valdivez are neck and neck. Rentara can beat those two sleepwalking! Just sayin!
Two things:
1) I appreciate your faith in Paul Glynn. Thank you.
2) I'm sure you are referring to "Colin Valdiviez" NW's 133lbr. He's added another "i" to his last name*.
Bonus: I think JRent is 149lbr next time we see him. Which might slot in well for the Hawks. :)

*When I advocate for a wrestler, I do my best to spell his name correctly. It was 3 yrs before I could trust the spelling of "Brandon Sorensen". I was always spelling it "Sorenson".

No...physically he can still make the cut to 133 and be fine. It comes down to discipline. A lot of young guys have this issue...some can seamlessly roll into college and be fine while others just cannot. It's the reason they give a redshirt year or at least a chance to wrestle some opens to get used to making weight. He wasn't given that chance for whatever reason. For example, why didn't he wrestle at Midlands but was able to wrestle the following week?

It's not as if he is being let off the hook...he will always be the guy who missed weight at NCAAs. But if you're a coach and know that a guy might have issues, why not be heavily monitoring the situation? And on Iowa, I might have agreed with you a few months ago but I don't know if I see it happening now.

You seem to be an expert on the kid. What's your connection?

Also, I'm sorry but if a wrestler makes weight for the entire second half of the season, including the Big 10s less than 2 weeks before, that's on the wrestler, not his coaches.

Jrent would hammer DeSanto on his feet. Heck,I see Rentera,if coached well,as a 2 or 3 time AA! Best transfer potential this off-season. See him hanging with the Cornell kid on his feet at 41! Lightning in a bottle.

never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to there level and beat you with experience.
Now your talking. Yahhni is better than Jrent on his feet,but not by much. Look at JRent beating Delvechio? Shows his true potential. Jrent has one of the best reshot,switch to arm drag,I have seen. Looks like a good freestyle guy also

Now your talking. Yahhni is better than Jrent on his feet,but not by much. Look at JRent beating Delvechio? Shows his true potential. Jrent has one of the best reshot,switch to arm drag,I have seen. Looks like a good freestyle guy also
JRent is a very good wrestler but not on Yanni level at this time.Once JRent figures out that doing things his way isn't always the best way is when he will jump levels.I would think UNC would be a place he looks to go he has friends on the team plus he's close with Ramos.

I might agree that people are too fast of count out Turk. He made a lot of headway in the last four months. That said, I think Max is a lot better than you are giving him credit for. I don’t think we need fat boy. But if he comes, I can see where Max or he grow into 149 and after a Renteria redshirt, neither would have to sit the bench for long.
Believe me, I'm not counting Max out: I was in attendance for probably half of his matches at Central Cambria, living and working no more than a 30 minute drive from Ebensberg. He's a fantastic young man and a great wrestler and he improved every single year in high school.

I'm simply saying that sometimes it doesn't go like you want it to. By the very same measure, sometimes it takes awhile for the light to come on, and maybe I'm wrong and that light comes on soon. I hope I'm wrong. Either way, he is still a great kid and wrestler.

Believe me, I'm not counting Max out: I was in attendance for probably half of his matches at Central Cambria, living and working no more than a 30 minute drive from Ebensberg. He's a fantastic young man and a great wrestler and he improved every single year in high school.

I'm simply saying that sometimes it doesn't go like you want it to. By the very same measure, sometimes it takes awhile for the light to come on, and maybe I'm wrong and that light comes on soon. I hope I'm wrong. Either way, he is still a great kid and wrestler.
I rewatched Max's matches at the US Open and I think he has a great shot to make some noise next year. If I remember correctly most of his points would have translated to folk. I think he had a couple of Turks that would have gotten him 4 pts in folk as opposed to 2 in free. He has a good single and double, good defense and he seems to have at least the same pace if not a higher one at the end of the match than at the start. He is gonna wear a lot of guys down. The 1st 6 pts scored on him in the finals would not have counted in folk. Then he had to open himself up to the throw at the end. I wouldnt say Turk doesnt have a chance because he improved a lot through the year, but Murin seems to have a more complete game and I think will be more consistent. He is also younger and has more room to grow.

I rewatched Max's matches at the US Open and I think he has a great shot to make some noise next year. If I remember correctly most of his points would have translated to folk. I think he had a couple of Turks that would have gotten him 4 pts in folk as opposed to 2 in free. He has a good single and double, good defense and he seems to have at least the same pace if not a higher one at the end of the match than at the start. He is gonna wear a lot of guys down. The 1st 6 pts scored on him in the finals would not have counted in folk. Then he had to open himself up to the throw at the end. I wouldnt say Turk doesnt have a chance because he improved a lot through the year, but Murin seems to have a more complete game and I think will be more consistent. He is also younger and has more room to grow.

I don't know how Brands makes his calls, so I would say that whoever wins in the wrestle off...but maybe Brands does it his own way, anyway. I know that Cael usually makes the decision based on the room, but not ALWAYS, as sometimes he has gone with his own decision not based on wrestle offs.

Did a little sleuthing, and he is definitely transferring out, but it wasn't totally his choice. I think the coaches had had enough of his lack of commitment and inability to follow a game plan. Nationals was likely the last piece. He was 'monitored', threatened to be shown the door, kicked out of the room several times,being told he could come back when he was following his plan, babysat like a little kid,etc.Not sure what else can be done when the kid doesn't listen to anyone.

If you've been around wrestling enough, then you know someone like this.

It will probably be a hole, although whoever is there, will at least be able to make weight.

Did a little sleuthing, and he is definitely transferring out, but it wasn't totally his choice. I think the coaches had had enough of his lack of commitment and inability to follow a game plan. Nationals was likely the last piece. He was 'monitored', threatened to be shown the door, kicked out of the room several times,being told he could come back when he was following his plan, babysat like a little kid,etc.Not sure what else can be done when the kid doesn't listen to anyone.

If you've been around wrestling enough, then you know someone like this.

It will probably be a hole, although whoever is there, will at least be able to make weight.
So lets go a head and throw a true freshman in the lineup when he's not meeting expectations, and is clearly undisciplined! Seems like a reasonable decision from Manning.

The great thing about Iowa @ 141 is that it's wide open for the taking. We have 3 guys who are neck-and-neck, all young, all motivated. The spot will go to whoever improves the most between now and next Jan. If Happel improves to a top-6 guy, the spot is his.

The bad news, of course, is that none of the 3 are ranked in the top 16.

Turk is figuring this level of wrestling out. I’ll guarantee he’ll attack even more for three periods if he improves his ground game. He looks like Brad Penrith with his attacks. He has something you can’t teach and is working on the other aspects. Can’t wait to see what TnT can make out of him. Dudes good and getting better.

ADVERTISEMENT