ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska and Northwestern Eval

That tells you all you need to know right there! What a shit show!! If Iowa had that many we would be right in the same territory.Alot of them were starters also.
Agreed! I don't know many they lost due to graduation (I mean, expired eligibility), but that's losing close to an entire recruiting class.

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4 and rmndcat
The great thing about this game is that there were only two B1G games played yesterday so the BTN will give the bugeater fans plenty of chances to watch this Frost production over and over all week long!

Reactions: rmndcat
He isn't great, but is solidly on what I would consider the bottom rung of the acceptable QB ladder. That's vision, accuracy, and pocket presence. He would add at least 2 wins for us this year if we get last year's QB performance.

But let's not forget that we did hit the portal for a 4th or 5th team TE.
He was worse than Petras last year

I don't know, but I am curious... did Nebraska kick out a number of their own recruited guys and replace them with transfers?

I thought there was a scholarship limit.. so its puzzling to me how you can bring in so many transfers without it effecting the kids you already recruited and have on your roster.
They had a lot of 4th yr juniors leave. Frost and Nebraska with Covid was the only school to incorporate the free year. Example riley moss 4th year no red shirt considered sr. Nebraksa same situation listed Adrian Martinez as a jr in his 4th yr never red shirted. Couple of those guys left like DT Daniels, te Allen who rs but had an extra yr. Plus plenty of transfer from previous years roster opening the door for these new transfers.

Which end of the day all these transfers speaks volumes on frost and his staff for developing, or lack there of, with their own recruits. Which this yr first season all of the players on the roster are frosty’s so no more blame it on Riley’s players. Guess we saw after yesterday it’s now blame it on the new offensive coaches.

I think the number one thing Frost should do is let some play clock run on offense. The Nebraska offense is explosive but they hurry up and don’t give their defense enough time to rest. TOp yesterday was around 35-25 so just imagine if they didn’t try the idiotic onside kick and took the play clock into single digits on offense? They’d have won by 10+.

I think the number one thing Frost should do is let some play clock run on offense. The Nebraska offense is explosive but they hurry up and don’t give their defense enough time to rest. TOp yesterday was around 35-25 so just imagine if they didn’t try the idiotic onside kick and took the play clock into single digits on offense? They’d have won by 10+.
The Huskers appeared to get tired on D as the game wore on. I agree that their O could have done them a favor by staying on the field longer - rather than simply just racing down the field.

The Huskers appeared to get tired on D as the game wore on. I agree that their O could have done them a favor by staying on the field longer - rather than simply just racing down the field.
Not sure what the stats were at halftime, would have said that was closer to 50/50 but NW wore them down in the 2nd half.

All other stats aside, i believe Nebraska wins that game if they don't do that stupid onside. But then again, if they didn't, they'd have a winning culture and a better coach.

he's been there 4 years and seen this done throughout the b1g, so it's mind boggling that he hasn't figured out this common sensical thing. of course, we have some folks who don't get this either.

Reactions: Pepperman
Not sure what the stats were at halftime, would have said that was closer to 50/50 but NW wore them down in the 2nd half.

All other stats aside, i believe Nebraska wins that game if they don't do that stupid onside. But then again, if they didn't, they'd have a winning culture and a better coach.
For all their yardage, they only had under 26 minutes of the clock to show for it ... not all that impressive.

Furthermore, I know that Pat made sure that the defensive unit was embarrassed by giving up so many yards on the ground last year - but the Huskers only got 110 yards on the ground? ... even though their top RB was averaging over 5 yards a carry? Come on! The Huskers were easily in a position where their passing game was opening up their running game - but to not feed the RBs more?

The onside kick was an aggressive move ... and it ended up hurting the team. However, their D still should have been able to slow Northwestern's O. Furthermore, their O could have run the ball more - and helped keep their D off the field for longer.

As we saw, the Cornhuskers most certainly DO NOT play complementary football. And it cost them a game ... again!

The onside kick was an aggressive move ... and it ended up hurting the team. However, their D still should have been able to slow Northwestern's O. Furthermore, their O could have run the ball more - and helped keep their D off the field for longer.

It was aggressive to the point of stupidity. Nebraska was in control of the game at that point. Attempting that and failing gave NW a jolt of adrenaline that got them back into the game.

Nebraska never felt like they held the initiative afterwards to me.

It was aggressive to the point of stupidity. Nebraska was in control of the game at that point. Attempting that and failing gave NW a jolt of adrenaline that got them back into the game.

Nebraska never felt like they held the initiative afterwards to me.
Certainly it deflated them.

Furthermore, an understated side of football is momentum. That play swung the momentum back to the side of Northwestern. Of course, Frost was probably full of fear ... so he wanted that early knockout punch so badly ... he wanted the Huskers to hold the outright momentum of the game ... and it backfired.

Cannot say that I blamed him ... his DL looks too much like it's comprised of undisciplined pass-rushers. You have to be more disciplined if you want to consistently stop the run. Northwestern's O demonstrated that they were more than capable of possessing the ball in the game.

Certainly it deflated them.

Furthermore, an understated side of football is momentum. That play swung the momentum back to the side of Northwestern. Of course, Frost was probably full of fear ... so he wanted that early knockout punch so badly ... he wanted the Huskers to hold the outright momentum of the game ... and it backfired.

Cannot say that I blamed him ... his DL looks too much like it's comprised of undisciplined pass-rushers. You have to be more disciplined if you want to consistently stop the run. Northwestern's O demonstrated that they were more than capable of possessing the ball in the game.
Yeah, it was analogous to the blocked punt TD in the Iowa game last year to me. They still led after both decisions, but the game felt totally different. idk about the play breakdown, but it didn’t even feel like Nebraska ran the ball as often as they should have in the second half overall.

Reactions: F5n5
I remember a time when Iowa had a lead and tried a fake FG or might have even been a 2-pt conversion. Think it was against Nebraska too? Felt similarly unnecessary.

ADVERTISEMENT