ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Coach Mickey Joseph arrested on suspicion of strangulation and third-degree domestic assault

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Five days after he last served as Nebraska football’s interim head coach, Mickey Joseph on Wednesday afternoon was arrested and booked into Lancaster County Jail on charges of strangulation and third-degree domestic assault, according to a press release from the Lincoln Police Department.

Joseph

Joseph, 54, was booked at 4:03 p.m. Though NU did not hire Joseph as its permanent head coach, he remained on staff and was in conversations, according to several sources, to remain an assistant under new coach Matt Rhule. Joseph told The World-Herald he’d look at other coaching opportunities, as well.
The university has now placed him on administrative leave.
“I was made aware of the charges against Coach Joseph,” Nebraska Athletic Director Trev Alberts said in a statement, “and given the nature of the allegations and based on University policy he has been placed on administrative leave. We will have no additional comment at this time.”

People are also reading…​

Neither did the Lincoln Police Department beyond its brief press release, which said officers were dispatched at 1:54 p.m. to a south Lincoln residence on a domestic disturbance call. Officers concluded their investigation and arrested Robert “Mickey” Joseph at a separate location. The press release, which LPD said it issued because of the “high-profile nature of the person involved,” did not name a victim.

An LPD public information officer declined to comment beyond the press release.
Joseph took over as Nebraska’s interim head coach on Sept. 11, 2022, and led the team to a 3-6 record — part of a 4-8 overall record — over the next 2½ months. After NU beat rival Iowa on Black Friday, some players and one assistant coach lobbied for Joseph to be the permanent leader of the team.

Nebraska announced Rhule as head coach 18 hours later.

At Rhule’s introductory press conference Monday, Joseph won praise from both Rhule and Alberts for his handling of the team, and one Husker player, pass rusher Ochaun Mathis, said on Twitter he’d consult Joseph on whether he’d return to the team or head to the NFL.
As players and fans clamored for Joseph to remain on the coaching staff, Joseph himself seemed confident he’d land at a good job.
“I’m good — because I understand, the next guy that comes in, he deserves to pick his staff,” Joseph said after the Iowa win. “I’m good. I’ve been in this thing for over 25 years. And I’ve got a pretty good resume. So, somebody’s going to hire me.”

Wild rumor shared in the lounge:
Sent to me ->

So from a reliable source, Mickey was to be out of town interviewing for Tulsa job. It got switched to a zoom interview. Goes home to find out his bat shit crazy wife was possibly having an affair with another former Husker qb, maybe Steve Taylor🤷‍♂️. That's when shit hit the fan. Apparently 2 other adults in the house when this all went down.

The other part was that her trainer, a female, was involved in the acts. What a world in Lincoln. Lol

Wild rumor shared in the lounge:

a53cd0ce-ec17-48ca-b1d8-e9f8245f6e05_text.gif

I just heard something similar. Except that it happened at Steve Taylor’s house and he was driving by and saw his wife’s car. And it was Steve that he choked. Which makes no sense because that probably wouldn’t be domestic violence and the name withheld. It sounds more like Husker fans trying to come up with a scenario that they think would justify violence.

I just heard something similar. Except that it happened at Steve Taylor’s house and he was driving by and saw his wife’s car. And it was Steve that he choked. Which makes no sense because that probably wouldn’t be domestic violence and the name withheld. It sounds more like Husker fans trying to come up with a scenario that they think would justify violence.
I don’t have any info, but if what is being rumored is true then it’s possible that the two charges may have had separate victims. He may have strangled Steve and also assaulted his wife during the incident, which would result in the separate domestic violence charge.

My brother just sent me a copy of a post from Facebook where Steve Taylor is denying all of the rumors. I cannot get it to embed but here is a copy/paste of the post:

Steven Taylor

stnSodpeor8a494luf179ct923f1mhaufh02127i2756g848m07031igumf3 ·

Dear Husker Nation & face book friends ,
My wife and are friends with the Joseph Family. Please disregard all rumors & innuendos because they are all totally false + terribly inaccurate ! We are here to help & support Mickey's family through this ordeal . My bond to my family & fellow Huskers is the most precious thing in my life !
Sincerely & respectfully ,
Steven L. Taylor #9

Reactions: cigaretteman
Mickey Joseph is accused of physically assaulting and strangling his wife, according to court documents.

The former Nebraska interim football coach was arrested Wednesday and is charged with strangulation.

Around 1:54 p.m., officers responded to a residence near S 34th Street and Tree Line Drive for a domestic disturbance, according to Lincoln police.

According to court documents, Priscilla Joseph, Mickey's wife, told dispatch that her husband had been "verbal and physical" with her.

Priscilla told officers at the scene that the two were arguing about alleged infidelity in the marriage, when Mickey pushed her onto the couch, according to court documents.

She told officers that Mickey then got on the couch and put his hands around her throat, according to court documents.

According to court documents, Priscilla told officers that she couldn't breathe until she pushed Mickey off her. Priscilla told officers when she attempted to walk away, Mickey then grabbed her hair and pulled her backward, causing her to fall, according to court documents.

While she was falling, Priscilla said that Mickey hit her in the head with a closed fist, according to court documents.

The affidavit stated officers observed "visible redness and swelling" around Priscilla's left eye. Officers also saw strands of hair on one of Priscilla's legs, which she told officers were pulled from her head by Mickey, according to court documents.

Joseph also attempted to flush Priscilla's cell phone down the toilet before leaving the residence, according to court documents.

A witness at the residence told officers that they observed the incident and saw Mickey's hands around Priscilla's throat, and told officers that they saw Mickey push Priscilla, according to court documents.

An officer observed also observed Priscilla's cell phone inside a container of rice, the affidavit stated.

Around 3:10 p.m., officers took the 54-year-old Joseph into custody at separate location, according to Lincoln police.

According to court documents, Joseph denied hitting Priscilla or grabbing her hair.

Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts issued a statement Wednesday after Joseph's arrest was made public.

“I was made aware of the charges against Coach Joseph and given the nature of the allegations and based on University policy he has been placed on administrative leave. We will have no additional comment at this time,” Alberts said in a statement.

Joseph, who was released on $20,000 bond Thursday, was ordered not to have contact with Priscilla or the residence where the alleged assault occurred by a Lancaster County judge.

The 54-year-old faces up to three years in jail. Joseph's next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 30 at 9 a.m.

"She specifically stated, 'He pushed me on the couch and strangled me,'" the court document states.

Reactions: 3boysmom
A little more info from another Omaha station.

Her brother was at the home when the alleged attack occurred and confirmed his sister’s account of the incident to police. He also said that Joseph had grabbed his wife’s cell phone and tried to flush it down the toilet before he left the residence.

LPD said Joseph, 54, was arrested at a separate location at about 3:10 p.m. Wednesday. Joseph was contacted by police along the 7500 block of San Mateo Lane in Lincoln and was taken into custody. In the police report, Joseph denied hitting his wife in the face or pulling her hair.

My brother just sent me a copy of a post from Facebook where Steve Taylor is denying all of the rumors. I cannot get it to embed but here is a copy/paste of the post:

Steven Taylor

My wife and are friends with the Joseph Family. Please disregard all rumors & innuendos because they are all totally false + terribly inaccurate ! We are here to help & support Mickey's family through this ordeal . My bond to my family & fellow Huskers is the most precious thing in my life !
Steven L. Taylor #9
That's a 55 year old man putting his football number in his signature. That's just sad.

Steven Taylor

Steven L. Taylor #9
Love how he signs THAT POST with his football number.

“#9 in your program, #2 in my own bed….”

I appreciate the way he stepped in and took over. I'm sure he was heart broken to not get the job and, while I would never make excuses for this, I'm guessing that was part of what happened here.

As a coach, I wasn't that impressed with his game management. One thig we do know for sure in all of this, is he definitely would have choked from time to time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT