ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska fans somehow got more annoying

The kick in the kNebby nuts would have that game played at the Carrierdome.

The amount of suck resulting from Nebraska and Rutgers playing under the same dome would likely result in a scene like this:

on-monday-the-georgia-dome-went-down-to-make-way-forthe-mercedes-benz-stadium.gif

Schedules are all about TV money, they don't care whether Nebraska has to play a tougher schedule than other West division foes.

Will OSU have to punt against UNLLLLL again this year. They have had to punt against Nebraska only once the the past three meetings.

They may have him punt on a second down late in the game just to get him some work. I would have said third down but I do not see Ohio State failing to gain first downs two plays in a row until late in the 4th quarter.

This is Frosty's third season. The "not having his own players" argument is gone. In Hayden's third season, he beat Nubby, UCLA and Michigan and made it to the Rose Bowl. Time for Frost to put up or shut up. They are going to have to evaluate where THEY are as a program soon.

@ Minnesota and @ PSU this year is definitely not harder than @OSU and vs Wisconsin in back to back weeks.
I agree, but I think what Urban Meyer was talking about is which “contender” in the West Division (namely Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minny) have the most difficult schedule. Therefore, Nebraska is irrelevant in this discussion of perceived schedule strength since they are not considered one of the top 3 contenders in the West.

The day before the schedule came out, on Omaha 590, the radio channel that spawns so much husker delusions, had one of their "experts" reiterated the usual things we've grown to hear out of Nebraska before season starts --- they have the team to possibly make a run at the National Playoffs....that big10 needs to get a team there...and if it's not Ohio st. then their "great" Huskers will be that team.

But one thing I'm curious about...or maybe missed....other leagues have a Covid-rule in place that says if a team drops below 53 scholarship plays available you cannot play the game, and out of that count you have a minimum number of OL...etc.

So given that, if big10 has a similar rule....it won't do Nebraska any good to have accumulated 100 walk-on players on their squad....I think they have over 160 players right now on the squad.....but only 85 can be used to protect the team from being forced to cancelling....and it also would seem to be more problematic to try and protect those 85 from infection with another 75 walk-ons in the mix...since they are all out there practicing. So Frost accumulating walk-ons like crazy the past couple of years may end up biting them in the butt. Also since the students have come back, and they administered tests due to lack of control by the Greek sororities....Lincoln is now a big hot spot.

If the team has over 5% test positive that team must stop regular practice and competition for a minimum of seven days and reassess metrics until improved.

Would UNLLLLL be above dropping a walk-on or 10 if they tested positive to circumvent the consequences? No they are not. They are well below that bar of ethics. Walk-ons would be considered a commodity.

FWIW: I thought I read they have 154 players on the team.

Reactions: Pat McGroyne
In 2002, we had to go to Penn State and Michigan. Wisconsin came to Kinnick. In 2004, we had to go to Penn State and Michigan again, and ranked Ohio state and Wisconsin came to Kinnick. All we did was win the conference both years. In 2009, we had to go to Wisconsin, Michigan State, The Horseshoe, and Penn State with Michigan coming to Iowa City. We won the Orange Bowl. They’re crying about having to play Ohio State. The last time we played Ohio State we took them behind the woodshed. Put up or shut up.

Last edited:
How many points will Ohio State put up on the Black Skirts in game 1? I'd say 60.

Finally visited the Husker forum to read the fans' comments.

The same ones crying about needing to leave the Big 8 because it was tilted to Texas are the ones complaining now because they can compete in the B1G. What's next... the MAC?

But hey, they're a blueblood!

The preferred schedule of the Shuckers:

Kansas at Nebr
K State at Nebr
Iowa State at Nebr
Mizzu at Nebr
Colo at Nebr
Sub Idaho for Okla State at Nebr
Sub New Mexico State for Okla at Nebr
New Hampshire at Nebr

This way, they may get 6 wins for a bowl game.

Reactions: ichawk24
The preferred schedule of the Shuckers:

Kansas at Nebr
K State at Nebr
Iowa State at Nebr
Mizzu at Nebr
Colo at Nebr
Sub Idaho for Okla State at Nebr
Sub New Mexico State for Okla at Nebr
New Hampshire at Nebr

This way, they may get 6 wins for a bowl game.
Bethune-Cookman. Don’t forget the Wildcats.

Nebraska has now played Ohio St 7x since joining the conference while Iowa has only played them 2x since Nebraska joined the B10...and before you get all excited about beating them one time (like Nebraska in 2011) Iowa is 2-8 vs them in the last 10...even worse if you keep going back. Same with playing Wisconsin - Iowa has lost the last 7 of 8 games vs the Badgers.

Reactions: fan fav
It would be so awesome and fitting to see them go 0-4 to start the year.. I think the conference leaders must realize how annoying they are with any success at all. Shutting them up early and often is a favor to everyone.

Dude just have to say: well played on your avatar ! I’ve been wanting to tell you that . I love the whammy ! Was a great show. Good job sir!

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
Nebraska has now played Ohio St 7x since joining the conference while Iowa has only played them 2x since Nebraska joined the B10...and before you get all excited about beating them one time (like Nebraska in 2011) Iowa is 2-8 vs them in the last 10...even worse if you keep going back. Same with playing Wisconsin - Iowa has lost the last 7 of 8 games vs the Badgers.

No one here is claiming superiority over OSU or begging to play the Buckeyes more. We are all aware of OSU's dominance, Iowa has lived it for all of lifetimes as Big 10 fans. And we are well aware of Iowa's recent record against Wisconsin, it is a cause of much consternation here. Iowa isn't winning the West without figuring out how to beat the Badgers much more than they have been.

But when Nebraska joined the league, there was lots of Husker fans wanting matchups against OSU as they were "worthy" of matchups with Nebraska, lots of complaining about playing Iowa on Black Friday as Iowa was not worthy of a matchup with Nebraska on that day. So yeah, we Iowa fans are going to be a bit gloatful when it comes to seeing Nebraska get Ohio State and Penn State in the cross-over games. Show a little humility, and the league might be inclined to cut you a break. But come in making comments when Frost was hired that the rest of the league should be afraid, and yeah we are going to be just fine with Nebraska matching up with OSU regularly.

Now show all the people complaining about having to play OSU over the years on this board.

Bill Moos 2018: "OSU, PSU & MICH are going to have to start putting something extra to get ready for Nebraska"

Bill Moos 2020: "It isn't fair for Nebraska to play OSU and PSU the same year."

Now show all the people complaining about having to play OSU over the years on this board.

I think people are missing the point. It is just super obvious the B10 didn't like that Nebraska sued them because they wanted to play football. We were already going to play Ohio St and Penn St in 2020 - but when they made it week 1 @ Ohio St and week 2 Wisconsin...everyone knows that was intentional. If you don't want to admit that IDC. Either way, Nebraska needs to start winning more football games.

Little Debbie has lost 4 or more games in a season 16 years in a row.

Frank Solich (Pelini coached the bowl game?) went 10-3 in 2003. That team was ranked as high as #10 in the country.

Here is a look at the 16 years since that 10-3 season in 2003:
2004: 5-6 Bill Callahan (4 years)
2005: 8-4
2006: 9-5
2007: 5-7
2008: 9-4 Bo Pelini (7 years)
2009: 10-4
2010: 10-4
2011: 9-4
2012: 10-4
2013: 9-4
2014: 9-4
2015: 6-7 Mike Riley (3 years)
2016: 9-4
2017: 4-8
2018: 4-8 Scott Frost (2 years)
2019: 5-7

There's some decent W/L records in that time period - especially under Pelini. What's not shown is that many of those losses were absolute blowouts. The "Blackshirts" giving up 50, 60, even over 70 points a couple times during that stretch. Embarrassing.

There's some decent W/L records in that time period - especially under Pelini. What's not shown is that many of those losses were absolute blowouts. The "Blackshirts" giving up 50, 60, even over 70 points a couple times during that stretch. Embarrassing.

UNLLLLL has had 10 losses by 30 points or more since joining the Big Ten.
(Two of those were from IoWWWWWa)

Iowa has lost by 30 or more points twice this century.

"Oh look, Wisconsin scored again"

I think people are missing the point. It is just super obvious the B10 didn't like that Nebraska sued them because they wanted to play football. We were already going to play Ohio St and Penn St in 2020 - but when they made it week 1 @ Ohio St and week 2 Wisconsin...everyone knows that was intentional. If you don't want to admit that IDC. Either way, Nebraska needs to start winning more football games.
Nobody is missing the point, playing @OSU week one is the best possible time to play them, with one month to prepare, and breaking in tons of new starters. If your idiotic coach can't put together a game plan to not get blown out by a team that had multiple players opt out just weeks ago, perhaps it's time to look in the mirror at where Nebraska is as a program. Repeat, you get ONE MONTH to prepare for OSU, and you turds are crying.

The school I don't sued the Big 10, wasn't it 8 players and their parents who sued? By that rationale, the Big 10 should be pissed at Iowa as it was Iowa parents who organized the "protest" or whatever you call it at the Big 10 offices.

I think the Big 10 likes Nebraska fine. Do I think it's possible the league has gone out of its way at times to give Nebraska harder crossover games? Sure. I do respect the fans of Nebraska a great deal for not just rolling over when the league said the season was cancelled. Remember, it was Iowa. Nebraska and OSU where the only 3 who voted to play when the league cancelled on Aug. 11.

No they don't, the fact that Nebraska has balls
is the reason the B10 will have football this fall.

The Nebraska players helped by filing the case. It did some good in that the Big 10 had very little appetite for wanting to reveal all the documents as part of the FOIA request. It was a combination of that, OSU continuing to push to play and even the Iowa parents for writing the letter to Kevin Warren and organizing the walk up to the conference office. All of it was basically different groups saying "you have to provide more information."

If i were to point to 1 thing, it probably was OSU being adamant about playing. They are the biggest fish in the pond by far and if they even started threatening to look elsewhere the conference had best listen. The whole wan this thing was handled will have more repercussions than this season. Conference's strength has always been a unified approach, but the presidents and commissioner basically knee-capped the athletic departments here. That won't go away soon.

Put up or shut up. Good luck vs Rutgers week nine.

• Haha
Reactions: FlickShagwell
This is from the Omaha World Herald. Are ADs really supposed to whine so much?

And don't forget!!! There would be NO FOOTBALL without Debbie's leadership!

I think you all will get a kick out of this. @MrsScrew, you too!

Bill Moos lost every argument on the Big Ten scheduling front. Nebraska's A.D. isn't pleased

LINCOLN — Athletic Director Bill Moos received the Huskers’ eight-game Big Ten schedule Friday night and saw that all things he’d fought for with the slate hadn’t come to pass.

“I wasn’t toasting champagne,” Moos said.

Moos said Saturday the Big Ten staff — and not the scheduling committee put together by the league — made the scheduling decisions, and used the original nine-game conference model created by the league for the first iteration of the 2020 league schedule. That schedule included road games at Ohio State and Rutgers, and a home game against Penn State.

The Rutgers game was dropped. Ohio State and Penn State, arguably the Big Ten’s best teams, remained.

What’s more, the Huskers play the Buckeyes and Nittany Lions — plus Big Ten West favorite Wisconsin — in the opening month. Moos had hoped to craft a schedule from scratch with reasonable crossover games for all. Instead, NU was stuck with the toughest crossover slate by far.

“For obvious reasons, I was hoping we could dissemble the schedule because of unique circumstances and rebuild it to be fair for each school in the conference,” Moos said. “I was outspoken on that, to the point where they heard it from me every day. The rationale was there, I didn’t think we needed to follow it. Nebraska is playing five AP preseason Top 25 teams. Ohio State’s playing two.

“I’m sure my friend (Ohio State Athletic Director) Gene Smith is smiling today. His friend Bill Moos is not. I’ve got a good football team with a great football coach that deserves a break here or there to start getting back on track to being a contender in the Big Ten West.”

Moos also wanted only Big Ten divisional games to count toward who won each division. He said he couldn’t get traction among other Big Ten athletic directors for a one-year exception to the league’s typical rules.

“Lost out on that,” Moos said. “And then you look at when we’re playing who and where is a definite disadvantage to Nebraska. With a young team, opening up at Columbus, against the No. 2 team in the nation — fans or no fans — is a giant task, especially when it’s the first post-COVID game.

“First time we’re on a charter aircraft, first time we’re in a hotel, first time everybody on the sidelines has masks on, first time with electronic whistles, everything’s going to be new. I didn’t feel that had to happen. And then we return to play No. 11.”

When Moos read the opening four games of NU’s schedule — at Ohio State, Wisconsin, at Northwestern, hosting Penn State — he chuckled at its difficulty.

“I think a little more thought could have been put into pieces of this, and it wasn’t,”
Moos said. “I don’t believe there’d be Big Ten football without Nebraska’s persistence in the whole process, all the way back to voluntary workouts. I harped on that until we got it.”

Moos said he got the schedule at 8 p.m. Friday. He let coach Scott Frost — who lost his father, Larry, to cancer this week — know through some of Frost’s assistants and staff. He didn’t want to speak for Frost but couldn’t imagine he was pleased.

He cited the “talented” people in the Big Ten’s office who put the schedule together — with television partners and rules in mind.

“But, at the end of the day, it has to be blessed by the commissioner,” said Moos, referring to Kevin Warren.

The schedule, now that it’s out, becomes “water under the bridge,” Moos said.

“I don’t want to come across as the champion complainer,” Moos said. “I’m going to protect my school and what is fair. I was outspoken on those items. At the end of the day, I was 0 for 3. I wasn’t just going to sit around and listen and get kicked around. I’ll never do that. They knew I wasn’t pleased.

“But the schedule’s in place, it is what it is, they won’t hear any more out of me. We’re going to strap the chin strap on and go out and win games.”

Now Nebraska expects breaks. LoL.

They should be happy they don’t play in the East division every year like MSU, Maryland, Rutgers, and Indiana. Hell, they can’t even beat the teams in the west, getting housed by Wisconsin on an annual basis, more times than not by Iowa, NW and Purdue has their number. LoL. They are turning into the Mary Sister’s of the Poor. Go back to the B12 to play in the north to get beaten by ISU, OSU, and KSU on an annual basis.

Reactions: MrsScrew
ADVERTISEMENT