ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska may be competing against Wisconsin for head coach

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
for a new coach. Chryst is letting the Wisconsin program slip. Fans want his head and word is there are people within the administration that are ready to fire him. Losing to former coach Bielema (who burned lots of bridges in Madison) was a final straw for many. Badger friend of mine told me a high profile donor has been telling people changes are coming. Some of the names being mentioned as canidates to replace Chryst happen to be names Nebraska has high on their board.

Update: Sounds like Chryst just got the axe. Rumors were true.

Last edited:
Badger fans are as ready for a HC change as Iowa fans are at OC.
The difference is that no way would the Wisconsin A.D. allow the head football coach to drag the program into the doldrums and continue saying with a straight face how fortunate they are to have such “stability.” I have no doubt that they will have a new HC before us, who will go on to kick KF’s clueless ass for as long as he keeps himself around.

The difference is that no way would the Wisconsin A.D. allow the head football coach to drag the program into the doldrums and continue saying with a straight face how fortunate they are to have such “stability.” I have no doubt that they will have a new HC before us, who will go on to kick KF’s clueless ass for as long as he keeps himself around.
Barta is just as much of a problem. He needs gone, like a decade ago.

Wisconsin isn't Ohio State, but their stability has been something unseen. When was the last time they actually fired a coach? Barry retired, Bielema left for Arkansas, and Anderson left for Oregon State. Those last two things may have been an insight into the roof many believe there is there. Especially Anderson to Oregon State. Is Wisconsin willing to pay for quality assistants? Is that the issue?

• Haha
Reactions: InbredHawkeye
Wisconsin isn't Ohio State, but their stability has been something unseen. When was the last time they actually fired a coach? Barry retired, Bielema left for Arkansas, and Anderson left for Oregon State. Those last two things may have been an insight into the roof many believe there is there. Especially Anderson to Oregon State. Is Wisconsin willing to pay for quality assistants? Is that the issue?
Bielema wasn't afraid to tell some arrogant boosters and administration officials to pound sand everytime they tried to bump belly's with him. Many Badger fans thought it was either Bielema leave on his own or he would get fired. Bielema has been the Badgers best coach since Alvarez.

Anderson wasn't a good fit for Wisconsin. He openly complained about admission requirements with recruiting especially after he couldn't get a QB recruit to Wiscy due to it.

Chryst was able to come in while Wisconsin's stock was high but the product has been eroding under his leadership. Similar to Iowa Wisconsin is struggling to develop offensive talent and has holes in places they don't typically have holes at (OL). Fan's have taken notice these past few seasons. Recruiting has been weaker these past few years as well.

for a new coach. Cryst is letting the Wisconsin program slip. Fans want his head and word is there are people within the administration that are ready to fire him. Losing to former coach Bielema (who burned lots of bridges in Madison) was a final straw for many. Badger friend of mine told me a high profile donor has been telling people changes are coming. Some of the names beeing mentioned as canidates to replace Cryst happen to be names Nebraska has high on their board.
They will still get to at least 6-6 this year and Chryst will get at least one more year out of that. Now if they go 3-9 this year that might put him in play but as weak as the West is this year I think 3-9 is highly unlikely.

They will still get to at least 6-6 this year and Chryst will get at least one more year out of that. Now if they go 3-9 this year that might put him in play but as weak as the West is this year I think 3-9 is highly unlikely.
Wisconsin isn't as forgiving as Iowa. The admin isn't nor are the fans and media. Even now KF has just as many supporters as he does critics. He also has a local media that come at him with pillows.

for a new coach. Chryst is letting the Wisconsin program slip. Fans want his head and word is there are people within the administration that are ready to fire him. Losing to former coach Bielema (who burned lots of bridges in Madison) was a final straw for many. Badger friend of mine told me a high profile donor has been telling people changes are coming. Some of the names being mentioned as canidates to replace Chryst happen to be names Nebraska has high on their board.

Update: Sounds like Chryst just got the axe. Rumors were true.
Nostradamus post of the year! Not being a wise guy. You called this hours before it happened.

Lottery numbers for Powerball Wednesday please?
PM me. 🤣

Last edited:
Wisconsin fired Chryst now because they want interim coach Jim Leonhard for their future. Wisconsin job is not really "open" or vacant. Wiscy and Neb won't be competing in a coaching search.
Yes they will be. The same Badger source that claimed to me about a major booster proclaiming to his family a change will be happening just 10hrs before Chryst was fired also stated the university will be looking at outside options during the season. I doubt the same people that just fired their fairly successful coach 5 games into a season because of the current state of the program will put all their eggs in one basket. Yes they will give Leonhard every opportunity to win the job but they will be in contact with some high profile options. There will be atleast two coaches they will contact that Nebraska is known to have been in contact with as well. The same people that decided Chryst was getting the axe also brought up names in their discussions over the last 24hrs.

Yes they will be. The same Badger source that claimed to me about a major booster proclaiming to his family a change will be happening just 10hrs before Chryst was fired also stated the university will be looking at outside options during the season. I doubt the same people that just fired their fairly successful coach 5 games into a season because of the current state of the program will put all their eggs in one basket. Yes they will give Leonhard every opportunity to win the job but they will be in contact with some high profile options. There will be atleast two coaches they will contact that Nebraska is known to have been in contact with as well. The same people that decided Chryst was getting the axe also brought up names in their discussions over the last 24hrs.

If so, I like Nebraska's chances. Pay, NIL, facilities, recruiting, fanbase, stadium, $$ for coordinators/assistants, etc. Wisconsin obviously with more current success but not the better job.

Confirmed by multiple sources Chryst is out. Wonder what Barta is thinking. Wisconsin and Iowa have different priorities.
Speaking of that, these Wisconsin guys very informative in their conversation tonight. Listen at the 55:10 mark roughly what they said about Iowa:

Speaking of that, these Wisconsin guys very informative in their conversation tonight. Listen at the 55:10 mark roughly what they said about Iowa:

I don't think most Iowa fans realize how much outside crap is being talked about KF having his son as OC and how screwed Iowa is right now. I live out in the mountain west and even out here college football fans laugh about it. When the West Division was created I thought it was Iowa's chance to elevate the football program to new levels. KF has largely failed at that and squandered a golden opportunity. We are also stuck with one of the worst if not the worst power 5 football OC his son. Meanwhile Wisconsin is firing their coach. If both Wisconsin and Nebraska get back on track Iowa is screwed.

Wisconsin fired Chryst now because they want interim coach Jim Leonhard for their future. Wisconsin job is not really "open" or vacant. Wiscy and Neb won't be competing in a coaching search.

Leonhard or Leipold. Leipold has ties to both Nebraska and Wisconsin. If they weren't interested in Leipold I don't think they would have made this move now. They would just have informed Leonhard that he would get the job starting in December.

67-26 and 3 Big 10 West titles and winning 10+ games in 4 or 5 seasons when he started. This is truly a feel of ‘careful what you wish for.’

Iowa is the exception when it comes to keeping coaches on too long.

I’m most surprised at cutting him loose now. But, I understand they want to begin their search. The Frost firing made sense as he simply was not getting it done. But Wisconsin dumping a successful coach in week #5 - is a head scratcher …

Exactly. If Barta had any balls, he would sit Kirk down after the season and in no certain terms tell him it’s time to retire. No matter how you slice it, Brian Ferentz, Spencer Petras, and the OL are a Kirk problem.
At the end of the season nope it needs to be discussed now.
With that said I'm sure nothing is ever spoken.

67-26 and 3 Big 10 West titles and winning 10+ games in 4 or 5 seasons when he started. This is truly a feel of ‘careful what you wish for.’

Iowa is the exception when it comes to keeping coaches on too long.

I’m most surprised at cutting him loose now. But, I understand they want to begin their search. The Frost firing made sense as he simply was not getting it done. But Wisconsin dumping a successful coach in week #5 - is a head scratcher …
Going 2-3 out of the gate allowed them to fire him. Kinda hard to fire him at the end of the season if he turns it around and goes 9-3 or 8-4. Their window was open and took it to keep Leonard in house.

Exactly. If Barta had any balls, he would sit Kirk down after the season and in no certain terms tell him it’s time to retire. No matter how you slice it, Brian Ferentz, Spencer Petras, and the OL are a Kirk problem.
I don't think there is any chance that Barta does that....and I don't think Kirk should be forced to retire. Some things need to change....but "forcing" him to retire wouldn't be warranted, IMO.

Not trying to be an ass but.....the correct verbiage is "no uncertain terms".

I don't think there is any chance that Barta does that....and I don't think Kirk should be forced to retire. Some things need to change....but "forcing" him to retire wouldn't be warranted, IMO.

Not trying to be an ass but.....the correct verbiage is "no uncertain terms".
Thank you for the correction. I appreciate it. Had a brain fart.

Reactions: HawkDoggy
I am absolutely shocked that they fired him! Was there something else going on?

He's 43-18 in the B1G with 3 West division titles!

You're not allowed to lose a couple of games?

Madness.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Disagree. Nebraska is a legend in their own minds

I don't care about the fact that Nebraska has a better history. That's irrelevant and doesn't matter, but Nebraska is the better job for a coach, objectively speaking. Not based on historical success either.

Please tell me how Wisconsin is better than Nebraska in pay, NIL, recruiting, facilities, etc. They're clearly not. It's not a more attractive job unless you're talking recent success, which many coaches that can build a program don't care about.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
I don't care about the fact that Nebraska has a better history. That's irrelevant and doesn't matter, but Nebraska is the better job for a coach, objectively speaking. Not based on historical success either.

Please tell me how Wisconsin is better than Nebraska in pay, NIL, recruiting, facilities, etc. They're clearly not. It's not a more attractive job unless you're talking recent success, which many coaches that can build a program don't care about.
But the biggest battle Nebraska is fighting is instability. 5 Head Coaches and 3 ADs fired in last 15 years. Negatives play as much a factor as positives.

Reactions: yippeehawks

💯

Reactions: obfuscating
Kind of agree with you on this......it will be interesting though if the last 7 games he is 3-4 in those games.

I don't think most Iowa fans realize how much outside crap is being talked about KF having his son as OC and how screwed Iowa is right now. I live out in the mountain west and even out here college football fans laugh about it. When the West Division was created I thought it was Iowa's chance to elevate the football program to new levels. KF has largely failed at that and squandered a golden opportunity. We are also stuck with one of the worst if not the worst power 5 football OC his son. Meanwhile Wisconsin is firing their coach. If both Wisconsin and Nebraska get back on track Iowa is screwed.
As an outsider, I think most of the focus/questioning is on the QB situation; not getting a QB in the portal would be a fireable offense for most HCs.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT