ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska may be competing against Wisconsin for head coach

I don't care about the fact that Nebraska has a better history. That's irrelevant and doesn't matter, but Nebraska is the better job for a coach, objectively speaking. Not based on historical success either.

Please tell me how Wisconsin is better than Nebraska in pay, NIL, recruiting, facilities, etc. They're clearly not. It's not a more attractive job unless you're talking recent success, which many coaches that can build a program don't care about.
I'm with you if you're talking about Nebraska being a better "opportunity" for it to be a better job, but not a better current job, if that makes sense. Right now that has to be Wisconsin. Since Osborne retired:

Number of Head Coaches:
Nebraska: 5
Wisconsin: 3

Wins:
Nebraska: 183
Wisconsin: 224

*Since Nebraska joined the Big 10*
Nebraska: 64
Wisconsin: 95

Conference Titles:
Nebraska: 1 (Big 12)
Wisconsin: 5

B10 Title Game Appearances:
Nebraska: 1
Wisconsin: 5

*Head to Head in B10CG*
Wisconsin 70-31 over Nebraska

Head Coach Buy Out:
Frost: 14 million
Chryst 16-19 million

Plus, unrealistic fan expectations, the amount of work it would take to change that culture--on top of the information given, to me, gives the edge to Wisky.

Reactions: BigOHawk
I don't care about the fact that Nebraska has a better history. That's irrelevant and doesn't matter, but Nebraska is the better job for a coach, objectively speaking. Not based on historical success either.

Please tell me how Wisconsin is better than Nebraska in pay, NIL, recruiting, facilities, etc. They're clearly not. It's not a more attractive job unless you're talking recent success, which many coaches that can build a program don't care about.
Is Wisconsin better at those categories individually? No - however, they have much better instate recruiting, so I’m guessing your point in favor of Nebraska is that it has such a great brand that it can recruit nationally…? Lol, disagree.

However, the gap is not that large, and Nebraska fans are unbelievably delusional. Eventually, if you don’t have them in a tier with Ohio State and Michigan, you have failed. And spoiler alert - they’ll never get there. It’s a death trap.

• Haha
Reactions: InbredHawkeye
Wisconsin could be in a tough spot. This is not a good team this year. If Jim Leonard doesnt improve the current team, how do they promote him to HC at the end of the year? His defense looks lost this year. If they have to go outside the program for a HC and sell it to someone, they probably have the worst facilities in the Big Ten, dont pay assistants and fire coaches that win 75% of their games. Interesting times for the Wisconsin football program.

Wisconsin was caught in an odd spot. 1) It was believed Nebraska was looking into Leonhard. 2) Nebraska is believed to be closely looking at Leipold. 3) There is a mystery coach that Nebraska is looking at that Wisconsin seems to like as well. I've heard Aranda and Chris Petersen as that coach. I don't believe either.

4) Wisconsin brass aren't so sure on Leonhard being the answer. Recruiting and development has been down these past few seasons on both sides of the ball. If they waited to fire Chryst at the end of the season and handed the keys to Leonhard they ran the risk of eroding the program further and having to fire yet another coach. This will give them the chance to evaluate Leonhard while they keep outside options open with the ability to hand the keys to the right person at the end of this season. Smart move on Wisconsin's part.

Is Wisconsin better at those categories individually? No - however, they have much better instate recruiting, so I’m guessing your point in favor of Nebraska is that it has such a great brand that it can recruit nationally…? Lol, disagree.

However, the gap is not that large, and Nebraska fans are unbelievably delusional. Eventually, if you don’t have them in a tier with Ohio State and Michigan, you have failed. And spoiler alert - they’ll never get there. It’s a death trap.

If you honestly believe Wisconsin has recruited better you're smoking something. Go back and look at ratings and offer sheets on this site. Hell, even under Frost they were right there with Michigan as the #3 program in the B1G in team recruiting rankings and average star ranking.

Read opinions from other college coaches. In the pre-season magazines where they give an honest opinion anonymously. Always say Nebraska has talented players and are one of the best looking teams off the bus in the league, but that's not their problem. Coaching has been the problem. Just sit back and wait for them to implode and do a whole bunch of dumb nonsense. They all knew N had a coaching problem.

Nebraska can still recruit nationally. Not like Notre Dame, but better than any program in the B1G West and it's not close. Mickey Joseph is one of the best recruiters in the country. He and Bill Busch would destroy anyone on Wisconsin's staff in recruiting.

Development of players is pretty important. Something KF does well at. He can't recruit very well, but his guys develop in the program at Iowa and by the time they're upperclassmen, they are performing well. The exact opposite of Nebraska coaches who can generally get talent but can't coach for shit. Recruiting is not Nebraska's problem, especially not with NIL and the transfer portal. A coach isn't picking Wisconsin because of recruiting and I promise you that.

Going 2-3 out of the gate allowed them to fire him. Kinda hard to fire him at the end of the season if he turns it around and goes 9-3 or 8-4. Their window was open and took it to keep Leonard in house.
Bring up a good point. It reminds me of when isu hired Campbell. Week before last game they let Rhoads know he was done but let him finish out the season. Gave them a week head start on everyone else and gave them an advantage to be able to get Campbell their top target. So Wisconsin can now addition leonhard and meantime have plenty of time to evaluate who they want to interview or bring in come late November.

If you honestly believe Wisconsin has recruited better you're smoking something. Go back and look at ratings and offer sheets on this site. Hell, even under Frost they were right there with Michigan as the #3 program in the B1G in team recruiting rankings and average star ranking.

Read opinions from other college coaches. In the pre-season magazines where they give an honest opinion anonymously. Always say Nebraska has talented players and are one of the best looking teams off the bus in the league, but that's not their problem. Coaching has been the problem. Just sit back and wait for them to implode and do a whole bunch of dumb nonsense. They all knew N had a coaching problem.

Nebraska can still recruit nationally. Not like Notre Dame, but better than any program in the B1G West and it's not close. Mickey Joseph is one of the best recruiters in the country. He and Bill Busch would destroy anyone on Wisconsin's staff in recruiting.

Development of players is pretty important. Something KF does well at. He can't recruit very well, but his guys develop in the program at Iowa and by the time they're upperclassmen, they are performing well. The exact opposite of Nebraska coaches who can generally get talent but can't coach for shit. Recruiting is not Nebraska's problem, especially not with NIL and the transfer portal. A coach isn't picking Wisconsin because of recruiting and I promise you that.
Thing is will Joseph even be on the next staff? Does he get retained as an asst or does someone else pluck him up. Because he’d be a huge risk as next HC. Or who ever the next coach is what’s their strategy of who and where they recruit. Like Riley focused on CA and abandoned TX.

another big issue for Nebraska under frost and Riley on top of development is player retention. Program has been littered with highly rated guys who have come and gone and most never stepped foot on the field.

Reactions: yippeehawks

Nope.

• Haha
Must be nice to have an alpha A.D. who is actually in charge of the athletic department and a football coach who is not untouchable and is instead held accountable for his job performance. Haven't known what that is like for many years...

Reactions: yippeehawks
Barta isn’t going anywhere because Kirk is his boss.

Barta and Kirk will likely hang it up at the same time. It will be a while because the team needs to be winning to slide Brian in.

Last edited:
You know the AD could just fire the son. If the HC doesn't like it, he can quit
The best move would be for the AD to approach the HC and give him the opportunity to make the change. It's got to happen, I want to give you the chance to control the optics...professional courtesy.

But If you don't do it, I will.

Reactions: nick614 and DewHawk
The best move would be for the AD to approach the HC and give him the opportunity to make the change. It's got to happen, I want to give you the chance to control the optics...professional courtesy.

But If you don't do it, I will.
That’s how it has to be. This can’t go on any longer
The problem is that GB would have to have at least 1% of the average adult human male testicle volume to do this, and he has shown me absolutely no reason to believe that he does...

If Brian had any sense of self awareness, he’d leave at the end of the year to help his dad out but I’m afraid his arrogance and ego won’t allow him to do that. The guy thinks he’s the second coming, his head is so big.

Imagine having to be Docterman or Leistekow having to listen to Brian ramble for four or five hours earlier this year. That had to be severely painful.

Must be nice to have an alpha A.D. who is actually in charge of the athletic department and a football coach who is not untouchable and is instead held accountable for his job performance. Haven't known what that is like for many years...
That Alpha AD had just extended Chryst back in January. So maybe he is a d f-ing alpha AD.

Wisconsin's a WAY more desirable job right now. Go to nebraska to get paid and get fired a few years later. Someone forgot to tell their fans that they haven't been any good for 20 years.

• Haha
Bring up a good point. It reminds me of when isu hired Campbell. Week before last game they let Rhoads know he was done but let him finish out the season. Gave them a week head start on everyone else and gave them an advantage to be able to get Campbell their top target. So Wisconsin can now addition leonhard and meantime have plenty of time to evaluate who they want to interview or bring in come late November.
I listened to some Wisconsin media people talk about the timing of this firing. They said it is a trial for Leonhard and also preparing to get a coach that will compete for conference titles when we go to one division.

I listened to some Wisconsin media people talk about the timing of this firing. They said it is a trial for Leonhard and also preparing to get a coach that will compete for conference titles when we go to one division.
Imagine an A.D. thinking about the future and what it will take to compete and stay relevant. But, hey, we've got, like, stability and stuff....

When the big ten goes to one division teams not named USC Ohio St and Michigan will need scheduling to be on their side.

Wisconsin fired Chryst so Nebraska couldn't have Leonhard. I think Nebraska was about to make a serious run at him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT