ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska offer list over 400

There was an article posted last week about how we're staying "hot on the recruiting trail" and in the article it talked about how the majority of our recruits have P5 offers, and that's what makes this class impressive. Here's my question. If offers are thrown out so flippantly, how come the majority of our recruits don't have more offers from the big boys or better P5 programs?

Deuce Hogan and Elijah Yelverton have offer lists that show how highly they're coveted and their expected upside.

Gavin Williams (Michigan/Nebraska), Tyler Elsbury (WVU/Mizzou), Josh Volk (ISU/Nebraska), and Logan Jones (Minnesota/Nebraska) are all borderline with a couple of bigger P5 offers.

The rest? The rest of our class boasts one or two P5 offers from bottom feeders of the P5. They don't have offer lists that show big recruiting victories for us. So are we just that fine with Captain Kirk carrying on recruiting completely middle of the road classes and developing a few of them into NFL players while Iowa goes 7-5 or 8-4 or 6-6 for eternity?

I like the class, I just think it's funny how we talk crap when we recruit middle of the road classes over and over and over. I appreciate the development of them, but good grief. Aim higher and when we recruit top 25 classes, then maybe we can talk.
I’ll take a stab at trying to answer your question. Rivals gives 25 to 30 players 5 stars they give 250 to 300 players 4 stars and upwards of 750 to 800 players 3 stars. 5 star players are considered can’t miss and probably will be professional after college ball. 4 star players are most likely starters in year 1 or 2 and have good shot of being drafted. 3 star players are considered P5 talent but may need a couple seasons to become starters for one reason or another like weight, strength or knowledge of the game.

Most P5 schools don’t offer over 400 players. If they did you would see more of Iowa’s commits with more P5 offers. Most recruiting classes average in the 20’s can you imagine if every P5 school would have commit lists of 400 how many offers all these kids would get? It would make a joke out of the recruiting process.

Last edited:
Since Frost was hired at Nebraska he has received commits/signed 23 four star recruits.

You have to combine Iowa’s 2010 to 2020 class to get that number.

I would say Frost and company are doing just fine on the recruiting trail.

Since Frost was hired at Nebraska he has received commits/signed 23 four star recruits.

Good thing games are settled on the field! It’s been proven the team with the most stars don’t guarantee a win...just look at the last 4 Iowa games against Nebraska as an example.

Now as stated to Iowa fans on the Nebraska board...no one here cares what you have to say, go away and Nebraska sucks!

Last edited:
Good thing games are settled on the field! It’s been proven the team with the most stars don’t guarantee a win...just look at the last 4 Iowa games against Nebraska as an example.

Now as stated to Iowa fans on the Nebraska board...no one here cares, go away and Nebraska sucks!

Four stars don’t guarantee wins. You still have to develop talent and I’ll be the first to admit Nebraska has been subpar in the department.

With that said, in that same time frame Iowa has also won just 1 division title. Perhaps they would have more success on the field if they could bring in more 4 star recruits? I just find it odd that one would knock Frost’s recruiting strategy when it’s clearly working...at least on paper. Iowa fans would be elated if Ferentz signed 11 four stars in one class like Frost did last year.

Four stars don’t guarantee wins. You still have to develop talent and I’ll be the first to admit Nebraska has been subpar in the department.

With that said, in that same time frame Iowa has also won just 1 division title. Perhaps they would have more success on the field if they could bring in more 4 star recruits? I just find it odd that one would knock Frost’s recruiting strategy when it’s clearly working...at least on paper. Iowa fans would be elated if Ferentz signed 11 four stars in one class like Frost did last year.
Frost’s recruiting strategy is to recruit over 400 hundred players including as many 4 star (to many to count quickly) and 5 star (20 this year) players and see what sticks. No way he can get to know everyone of these recruits before he offers. He’s just taking some recruiting service list and sending out offers. If every P5 team took that strategy the recruiting process would be a joke!

Rob Ash (google him) once told me the star system is the most inaccurate and overrated way to evaluate players unless you’re recruiting in a handful of states. Some states have never had a blue chip player because that’s not where the so called experts evaluate. Hence Iowa does their own evaluations and has done quite well picking up under the radar 3 star prospects and building them into 5 and 4 star ass kickers!

Now quit trying to impress us with how great a recruiter Frost is. The facts are he’s letting others do his evaluations and he’s just playing the numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: sltldowney
Frost’s recruiting strategy is to recruit over 400 hundred players including as many 4 star (to many to count quickly) and 5 star (20 this year) players and see’s what sticks. No way he can get to know everyone of these recruits before he offers. He’s just taking some recruiting service list and sending out offers. If every P5 team took that strategy the recruiting process would be a joke!

Rob Ash (google him) once told me the star system is the most inaccurate and overrated way to evaluation players unless you’re recruiting in a handful of states. Some states have never had a blue chip player because that’s not where the so called experts evaluate. Hence Iowa does their own evaluations and has done quite well picking up under the radar 3 star prospects and building them into 5 and 4 star ass kickers!

Now quit trying to impress us with how great a recruiter Frost is. The facts are he’s letting others do his evaluations and he’s just playing the numbers. Now as stated on your board to Iowa fans. No one here cares what you have to say, go back to your board and Nebraska sucks!

You are dreaming if you think Nebraska is being lazy on the recruiting trail and just lucking into signing 11 four star players. Iowa has 1 four star in its current class and Iowa fans are jumping for joy.

Again, perhaps if Ferentz would land more highly rated prospects to join his development program he would have more than one division title in 8 years?

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
You are dreaming if you think Nebraska is being lazy on the recruiting trail and just lucking into signing 11 four star players. Iowa has 1 four star in its current class and Iowa fans are jumping for joy.

Again, perhaps if Ferentz would land more highly rated prospects to join his development program he would have more than one division title in 8 years?
Funny a Nebraska fan telling an Iowa fan he’s dreaming when the Hawkeyes are the Huskers worst nightmare. In a few years you and all the delusional Nebraska fans will be calling for Frost to be fired. Now run away to fantasyland known as the Husker board.

Last edited:
Funny a Nebraska fan telling an Iowa fan he’s dreaming! In a few years you’ll be calling for Frost to be fired. Now run away to fantasyland known as the Husker board.

Maybe. What does that have to do with evaluating his recruiting thus far? On paper...he has done a hell of a job on the recruiting trail.

And Iowa fans will be calling for Ferentz head after his first loss this year. What’s your point? That’s fanatics will be fanatics?

As long as we’re gonna have some Braska threads. I feel like we should have a few fun facts to go along with them

2018:
Stanley 26 TD tosses (9-4)
Martinez 17 (4-8)

That’s all. Enjoy your day!

Stanley: Redshirt Junior who's been in the same offense for nearly 3 years and was a starter for Iowa in 2017 & 2018.

Martinez: True Freshman starter at QB in an offense that was entirely new to him and his team with a brand new coaching staff trying to change the culture after 3 years of Mike Riley. Also, he was Injured and didn't play as a HS Senior.

Nice comparison, no really ... nice job.

I like Stanley and think he will be a first round draft pick next year in the NFL or at worse a high 2nd round pick.

That's all. Enjoy your day !!!

Reactions: ThrowBones92
I'm not worked up, I just don't like you. Again, I feel that way about people when they are proven to be two-faced. Don't expect a warm welcome from me.
Your strawman is getting beat to a pulp. You'd think I kicked your dog. And its not two faced if I'm not trying to pretend to be two different people on two different boards. I'm pretty open on EITHER board about not liking idiot Iowa fans. And I'm open on both boards about enjoying conversation with the good gents and ladies on the Iowa board who make for worthwhile conversation. I'm the same person on this board that I am on the HOL board. That would be the opposite of two-faced. I'm sure you can find another reason to dislike me, it just works better if it's a real reason and not a figment if your imagination.

There was an article posted last week about how we're staying "hot on the recruiting trail" and in the article it talked about how the majority of our recruits have P5 offers, and that's what makes this class impressive. Here's my question. If offers are thrown out so flippantly, how come the majority of our recruits don't have more offers from the big boys or better P5 programs?

Deuce Hogan and Elijah Yelverton have offer lists that show how highly they're coveted and their expected upside.

Gavin Williams (Michigan/Nebraska), Tyler Elsbury (WVU/Mizzou), Josh Volk (ISU/Nebraska), and Logan Jones (Minnesota/Nebraska) are all borderline with a couple of bigger P5 offers.

The rest? The rest of our class boasts one or two P5 offers from bottom feeders of the P5. They don't have offer lists that show big recruiting victories for us. So are we just that fine with Captain Kirk carrying on recruiting completely middle of the road classes and developing a few of them into NFL players while Iowa goes 7-5 or 8-4 or 6-6 for eternity?

I like the class, I just think it's funny how we talk crap when we recruit middle of the road classes over and over and over. I appreciate the development of them, but good grief. Aim higher and when we recruit top 25 classes, then maybe we can talk.

This is nearly exactly the same thought process I had. It's a decent class. Though, it's not much different from other classes the Hawks have recruited lately, other than that it's filling up extremely fast.

Every year there is a new string of excuses about last year's game. I look forward to the excuses after this year.

Frost’s recruiting strategy is to recruit over 400 hundred players including as many 4 star (to many to count quickly) and 5 star (20 this year) players and see what sticks. No way he can get to know everyone of these recruits before he offers. He’s just taking some recruiting service list and sending out offers. If every P5 team took that strategy the recruiting process would be a joke!

Rob Ash (google him) once told me the star system is the most inaccurate and overrated way to evaluate players unless you’re recruiting in a handful of states. Some states have never had a blue chip player because that’s not where the so called experts evaluate. Hence Iowa does their own evaluations and has done quite well picking up under the radar 3 star prospects and building them into 5 and 4 star ass kickers!

Now quit trying to impress us with how great a recruiter Frost is. The facts are he’s letting others do his evaluations and he’s just playing the numbers.

It's been stated a number of times on this board what his process is for recruiting. So far, in two years, he's done a pretty damn good job of finding talent and signing it. The process doesn't matter, what matters is LOIs on signing day, and in 18 months' worth of time he's put together two pretty good recruiting classes and is on his way to another class with high quality guys that fit his system.

You're simply looking at the offer count and then inferring what he must be doing without any knowledge of his process. When his 400 offer count starts to negatively impact recruiting, then I'll start to worry. Until then, criticizing the guy who brought in a top 15 class in his first full cycle is pretty silly, considering that the team you cheer for hasn't done that in a while, if ever.

Funny a Nebraska fan telling an Iowa fan he’s dreaming when the Hawkeyes are the Huskers worst nightmare. In a few years you and all the delusional Nebraska fans will be calling for Frost to be fired. Now run away to fantasyland known as the Husker board.
Iowa is not Nebraska's worst nightmare. Iowa is a thorn in the side of Nebraska. Nebraska is not afraid of playing Iowa. Iowa is a well-coached football team that plays fundamental, consistent football most of the time. That's it.

It's been stated a number of times on this board what his process is for recruiting. So far, in two years, he's done a pretty damn good job of finding talent and signing it. The process doesn't matter, what matters is LOIs on signing day, and in 18 months' worth of time he's put together two pretty good recruiting classes and is on his way to another class with high quality guys that fit his system.

You're simply looking at the offer count and then inferring what he must be doing without any knowledge of his process. When his 400 offer count starts to negatively impact recruiting, then I'll start to worry. Until then, criticizing the guy who brought in a top 15 class in his first full cycle is pretty silly, considering that the team you cheer for hasn't done that in a while, if ever.
Why does Frost need almost 450 offers for a blue blood program like Nebraska to get the players he wants? Shouldn’t all his players be at least 4 star? Frost is like a good timeshare salesman get him in front of potential buyers and he’ll close his 5 percent. Again it’s a numbers game... it’s not that difficult to understand.

Why does Frost need almost 450 offers for a blue blood program like Nebraska to get the players he wants? Shouldn’t all his players be at least 4 star? Frost is like a good timeshare salesman get him in front of potential buyers and he’ll close his 5 percent. Again it’s a numbers game... it’s not that difficult to understand.
The results thus far speak for themselves. Whether the recruits eventually become great players once they get between the lines on gamedays won't be known for a while. Again, you are infatuated with his process when the results are the only thing that matters. I don't care if he farts in 4 directions in front a recruit if that's what they like, he gets them committed and signed and on campus.

Over the next couple of years we will see if he is as good at preparing and coaching this team as he was at Central Florida.

Stanley: Redshirt Junior who's been in the same offense for nearly 3 years and was a starter for Iowa in 2017 & 2018.

Martinez: True Freshman starter at QB in an offense that was entirely new to him and his team with a brand new coaching staff trying to change the culture after 3 years of Mike Riley. Also, he was Injured and didn't play as a HS Senior.

Nice comparison, no really ... nice job.

I like Stanley and think he will be a first round draft pick next year in the NFL or at worse a high 2nd round pick.

That's all. Enjoy your day !!!

Not to mention totally ignoring the fact that QB’s can also score touchdowns by running the ball in which Martinez had 8 and Stanley 1. In two less games.

Your strawman is getting beat to a pulp. You'd think I kicked your dog. And its not two faced if I'm not trying to pretend to be two different people on two different boards. I'm pretty open on EITHER board about not liking idiot Iowa fans. And I'm open on both boards about enjoying conversation with the good gents and ladies on the Iowa board who make for worthwhile conversation. I'm the same person on this board that I am on the HOL board. That would be the opposite of two-faced. I'm sure you can find another reason to dislike me, it just works better if it's a real reason and not a figment if your imagination.
giphy.gif

The results thus far speak for themselves. Whether the recruits eventually become great players once they get between the lines on gamedays won't be known for a while. Again, you are infatuated with his process when the results are the only thing that matters. I don't care if he farts in 4 directions in front a recruit if that's what they like, he gets them committed and signed and on campus.

Over the next couple of years we will see if he is as good at preparing and coaching this team as he was at Central Florida.
What results are you talking about? Star count?

What results are you talking about? Star count?
For the players who aren't yet on the field, it's not that difficult to watch recruit tape and see the quality of athlete and player he has brought in. Since stars must mean nothing to you, then I suppose you think Iowa has the best recruiting class in the Big Ten for 5 years straight.

One example for you: he brought in a QB that started as a true freshman and became a freshman All-American.

You finally leaving? Thanks
You have to give him credit he did post 20 times on this thread trying to convince us how great a recruiter Frost is. I wonder if I posted
Scott Frost recruiter = Timeshare Salesman
on the Nebraska message board how long it would take me to be banned? Might be fun to find out?

You have to give him credit he did post 20 times on this thread trying to convince us how great a recruiter Frost is. I wonder if I posted
Scott Frost recruiter = Timeshare Salesman
on the Nebraska message board how long it would take me to be banned? Might be fun to find out?
If you act the same way he does over here, you will be banned in a hurry. I saw the way those a-holes treated you over there, props for not getting yourself banned already. I'm just sort of repaying the favor for the warm welcome you received.

Reactions: Razorhawk2

However, an earlier post in this thread explained that only four of those 4 star Nebby recruits amounted to anything, as others either left your program or haven’t played much/produced.

However, an earlier post in this thread explained that only four of those 4 star Nebby recruits amounted to anything, as others either left your program or haven’t played much/produced.

Frost has only been the Nebraska coach for one season. That post referenced mostly Riley players. As I said earlier the previous staff did a poor job developing talent. And many of those 4 stars transferred because they did not fit the new staffs vision which is normal in a coaching change.

Quickly going over Nebraskas 4-star recruits since 2015 (per rivals)

Keep up the great recruiting strategy Nebraska. Out of 26 "high end" recruits only 4 have produced anything worth value.

My updates ....

2015:
Jordan Stevenson RB (quit after 3 months) - was originally recruited by Wisconsin and then didn't make the grades or something like that ... left program
Jalin Barnett OL (left program)
Stanley Morgan WR (good player)
Khalil Davis DL (good player)
Avery Anderson DB (minimal playing time) - had high hopes for him and Lee, having multiple DB coaches, Def Coordinators and Coaches did not help.
Eric Lee DB (13 tackles) - see above

2016:
Lamar Jackson DB (good player)
Marquel Dislike DB (10 tackles last year) - should start this year
Patrick Obrien QB (transferred out) - sign as a West Coast QB and with change of offenses he left. Wish him well
John Raridon OL (appeared in 3 games last year) - hope he would produce by now. Still has this year and next for playing time

2017:
Elijah Blades DB (left team)
Tyjon Lindsey WR (left team) - left and went to Oregon State. Still think he could be an impact player somewhere
Guy Thomas DE (left team)
Avery Robers LB (left team)
Tristan Gebbia QB (left team) - didn't win the starting job and left
Keyshaun johnson jr WR (left team) - overrated.
Javeon Mcquitty WR (no receptions last year) - he should see more playing time this year ... i hope.

Coaching Change

2018:
Calob Tanner LB (appeared in all games, 10 tackles)
Dominick Watt WR (left team) - didn't make the grades .. at JUCO and still being recruited by Nebraska
Cam Jones DB (left program) - disappointed he left ... really disappointed he left
Miles Jones ATH (injured, 5 yards last year) - injured and redshirted
Greg Bell RB (left team) - loss playing time and left. Ozigbo was much, much better than him
Adrian Martinez QB (good player)
Tate Wildeman DE (injured, no stats) - redshirted
Cameron Jurgens ATH (OL, no stats) - redshirted and moved to Oline where he could be starting Center .. could be

Frost has only been the Nebraska coach for one season. That post referenced mostly Riley players. As I said earlier the previous staff did a poor job developing talent. And many of those 4 stars transferred because they did not fit the new staffs vision which is normal in a coaching change.
Then why r Nebby fans touting all the 4 star recruits they get? Wouldn’t it be more appropriate to wait end see if Frost recruits pan out?

Reactions: Razorhawk2
The premise of this thread is hilarious. What does it matter? Nebraska signs who they sign. You mad because Io_a's recruiting sucks?

Then why r Nebby fans touting all the 4 star recruits they get? Wouldn’t it be more appropriate to wait end see if Frost recruits pan out?

The same reason Iowa fans tout their two-three star recruits?

The Nebraska staff did a pretty good job developing talent at UCF. With them bringing more highly sought after talent it makes sense to be excited. Again, the OP was trying to make fun of Nebraska’s recruiting strategy which really does not make much sense considering they have don’t a very good job in that department. If Nebraska was finishing with classes in the 50’s then yeah...fair game.

The premise of this thread is hilarious. What does it matter? Nebraska signs who they sign. You mad because Io_a's recruiting sucks?
That was sort of my point. The results matter, not how many "offers" are counted. Stupid and looks little brother-ish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT