ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska to consider hunting season for river otters

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
60bfc2b405a00.image.jpg

A young North American river otter recently rescued by Nebraska Wildlife Rehab is a sign of one of the state’s greatest rehabilitation efforts.
Unregulated harvest and loss of habitat wiped out the species until the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission released 159 otters on seven waterways from 1986 to 1991. There had been no record of the animal in the state from 1916 to 1977.
Game and Parks now estimates there are about 2,000 in Nebraska, a healthy enough population that a pilot season on river otters will be considered Friday when commissioners meet in Chadron. A harvest of 75 otters would trigger the season to close within three days, with the session starting in November.

That the species has become so abundant that a season is being considered is a huge deal after years of effort by Game and Parks staff.

“It’s one of the greatest conservation success stories in the past 40 years in Nebraska in my view,’’ said Sam Wilson, furbearer and carnivore program manager.

Meanwhile, Laura Stastny, executive director at Nebraska Wildlife Rehab, is working to keep that one orphaned baby flourishing so that it can be released successfully in the wild this fall.

The 10-week-old female is the first to be rescued by the organization because there just weren’t many of the species around until recent years.

“They are definitely a conservation success story in Nebraska, thanks to the Game and Parks Commission,” Stastny said.
She couldn’t reveal where the youngster was found but said otters are becoming more common along the Platte and Niobrara Rivers.

This one was discovered in a field on private property, which is abnormal. The property owners correctly left the animal overnight to see if its mother would reclaim it. When she did not, they called Nebraska Wildlife Rehab.

“We don’t know if it was orphaned and wandering or if something happened while the mom was moving it from one den to another,” Stastny said.

The female was dehydrated but otherwise healthy. She’s still on formula but is weaning over to solids.
The one enclosure that Nebraska Wildlife Rehab has for water mammals is occupied by two baby beavers, so the group is building a temporary home for the otter at its facility in Washington County.
“We swim her every day in a smaller pool,” Stastny said. “She needs to go into a big outdoor enclosure with a big outdoor pool so she can swim at will. Otters live mostly on fish. She needs a pool deep enough to practice fishing.”
The plan is to purchase a deep horse tank, bury it in the ground and build a cage around it.

Once Nebraska Wildlife Rehab’s new 16,000-square-foot facility at 96th and L Streets is completed, babies such as the otter and two beavers will have their own perfectly equipped nurseries. That facility should open by the end of August.

“We’re really excited to be there,” Stastny said.
It’s been a busy spring for the rehab organization. Members took in more than 1,300 animals in May alone and are currently caring for more than 800.

Last week, they set a record for baby rabbits in their care with 265. The previous record had been around 180 at one time.
Three staff members will care for the otter. Stastny said it's been a lifelong wish for one of them to rehabilitate a river otter.
“We are excited when we have a new species,” she said. “It’s a great honor to have the opportunity to rehabilitate this one and return it to the wild.”

• Angry
Reactions: h-hawk
I couldn't do it. They're too cute. Just like I missed a Bobcat intentionally the one time I got one through the glass because I saw our cat, Walter Payton, on the other side and just couldn't do it.

I'm a giant puss. I know.
I hunted as a kid with my dad but just don't have the heart to kill anything anymore.

I do eat meat and clean fish. But cruelty to animals makes me as angry as anything.

Still on my bucket list. We have been to streams where they exist (for birding) but have yet to see one.
Saw one in cedar River area of Blackhawk county a few years ago. Don’t think you can mistake one for another animal.

saw a Badger last summer on a gravel bike trail. I kept my distance because I have read they are nasty. Very distinctive looking animal. Looked like a piece of edgy/angular carpet.

with hunting and trapping decreasing it is amazing to see the wildlife flourish.

the deer population seems to be out of control. It’s like a petting zoo out there.

I enjoy hunting. Why would anyone want to shoot a river otter?
Maybe some folks just get tired of shootin' the same old stuff all the time.

Seems to be a pretty good supply of river otters around now and if they run out, they already know all about how to start them back up. Kind of a renewable resource.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman
Another conservation success story and will be another example of hunters contributing towards the future conservation efforts.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Ill shoot the shit out of deer, pheasant, quail, dove, hogs, javelina and coyotes.

I eat all of the above except javelina (the Mexicans on the ranch eat them though) and coyotes.
And I'm glad there are responsible hunters like yourself out there. Plus one of the deer hunters at work brings me deer lions every year which is nice.

Hey, we got something reintroduced that wasn't here for 75 years, and they're now at a stable breeding population. Let's allow people to kill them!
This proposed otter hunt would turn out just like the wolf hunt last year in Wisconsin where the number killed soared past the allotted number.

Reactions: cigaretteman
This proposed otter hunt would turn out just like the wolf hunt last year in Wisconsin where the number killed soared past the allotted number.
Ehh, it ended about exactly right. Original number was 200, ceded land tribes leveraged their claim to 80 as a protest (they dont hunt them), and the final number ended at 215ish.

Latest fur auction results I could find otter pelts averaged $15. Not worth the effort, cost and time IMO.
Fur trading hasn't been profitable for years in all but the most professional examples. Just like deer hunting doesn't save you money over store beef. Not the point.

Fur trading hasn't been profitable for years in all but the most professional examples. Just like deer hunting doesn't save you money over store beef. Not the point.
Sure it is for many of us. I’m not eating otter and there’s no market for the pelts. I guess if you’re just a cruel sociopath there might be an attraction to this but that seems foreign to me and doesn’t align with my outlook on life in general.

Pew pew pew! It’d be a shame if those otter hunters drowned trying to retrieve their quarry. A real shame. Darn.

Reactions: SoProudNole
Otters will kill fish for fun. They are absolutely ruthless killers of fish.

I know a professional walleye fisherman who had a secret late fall/early winter hotspot at a deep pool on a small northern Iowa river. He fished it for years until ~15-20 years ago it went to shit. Around that time he started seeing otters killing walleye and leaving them on the banks. He claimed he'd seen them kill dozens of walleyes, but never saw one bring up a carp.

I know the typical HROT poster is also a Mensa genius, but it's probably best to trust wildlife management experts on these types of decisions.

Sure it is for many of us. I’m not eating otter and there’s no market for the pelts. I guess if you’re just a cruel sociopath there might be an attraction to this but that seems foreign to me and doesn’t align with my outlook on life in general.

Pew pew pew! It’d be a shame if those otter hunters drowned trying to retrieve their quarry. A real shame. Darn.
There is a market, just not a lucrative one. Its enough to justify the hobby - not a make living on.

Otters will kill fish for fun. They are absolutely ruthless killers of fish.

I know a professional walleye fisherman who had a secret late fall/early winter hotspot at a deep pool on a small northern Iowa river. He fished it for years until ~15-20 years ago it went to shit. Around that time he started seeing otters killing walleye and leaving them on the banks. He claimed he'd seen them kill dozens of walleyes, but never saw one bring up a carp.

I know the typical HROT poster is also a Mensa genius, but it's probably best to trust wildlife management experts on these types of decisions.
There’s a difference between understanding that a population needs to be controlled and desiring to do it.

Prairie Dogs need to be controlled, but there’s no sport in “hunting” them.

What the hell are the morons talking about on this thread. Fur trading? F'ing Fur trading? This isn't the French and Indians War.

And screw your farm ponds. No worthy fisherman (I'm not one of them) fishes out of a farm pond.

I hope those otters militarize and start shooting back

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT