ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska will now play at Rutgers on a Friday night in 2022

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005

Husker football will now play Rutgers on a Friday night in 2022​

LINCOLN — Nebraska football will play another Friday night Big Ten road game at Rutgers in 2022.
NU and RU will play Oct. 7 in Piscataway, New Jersey, one day earlier than originally scheduled.

The teams last played on a Friday night on Dec. 18, 2020, in an empty stadium at the height of the COVID pandemic, to a handful of stadium workers, team officials and reporters. The Huskers won 28-21 and promptly voted the next day to forgo a bowl game.
This time Rutgers will presumably hope to attract a far bigger crowd — both in the seats and on TV — by moving what likely would have been a noon Saturday kick to Friday prime time. A kickoff time will be announced this spring.

RU represents NU's first true road game of the 2022 season. The Huskers open with a neutral-site contest against Northwestern in Ireland that is expected to attract more Husker fans than Wildcat fans.

After the Oct. 7 game against the Scarlet Knights, NU heads to Purdue Oct. 15. The Rutgers game is preceded by an Oct. 1 home game against Indiana.
Nebraska routinely plays one Friday game per year against rival Iowa. In 2017, it played at Illinois on a Friday night, winning 28-6. The 2020 COVID game was NU's second recent foray into the Friday night games.

One other Big Ten team, Michigan State, announced its home opener against Western Michigan will be played on Friday night. MSU has in recent years moved its season opener off of Saturdays.

Hope Iowa does not play a Friday nite game this year

Black Friday is fine but otherwise..no.
After playing a Friday night game each of the past 2 seasons, Iowa should be safe from that kind of draw this year, especially coming off a 10-win season and division title.

As much as I don't like Friday games, though, Iowa has a pretty darn good record when playing on Fridays under KF.

After playing a Friday night game each of the past 2 seasons, Iowa should be safe from that kind of draw this year, especially coming off a 10-win season and division title.

As much as I don't like Friday games, though, Iowa has a pretty darn good record when playing on Fridays under KF.
Who they play may have an impact as well.

• Haha
Reactions: CockGobblingHawk

I was actually afraid the Rutgers game could be one. Early enough in the season in Sept. where weather is good. You see more Friday games (minus week 1) from teams that don't attract as many fans consistently like Rutgers, MD, ILL, NW, IU even MN. Iowa minus Black Friday I don't ever see hosting one and looking at road schedule Illinois game would be the only other one I think that could possibly happen. However looks like we play them the same week as this Rutgers-Nebraska game thankfully.

Yeah, the September 24th Iowa at Rutgers game on the surface appeared to be a Friday night candidate. With the NU/RU game on Friday, that probably means our game remains on Saturday.

• Haha
I was actually afraid the Rutgers game could be one. Early enough in the season in Sept. where weather is good. You see more Friday games (minus week 1) from teams that don't attract as many fans consistently like Rutgers, MD, ILL, NW, IU even MN. Iowa minus Black Friday I don't ever see hosting one and looking at road schedule Illinois game would be the only other one I think that could possibly happen. However looks like we play them the same week as this Rutgers-Nebraska game thankfully.
Yeah, the September 24th Iowa at Rutgers game on the surface appeared to be a Friday night candidate. With the NU/RU game on Friday, that probably means our game remains on Saturday.
Maybe travel logistics aren't as much of a problem as they seem on the surface, but having games like Iowa traveling to Maryland (>900 miles) or Neb traveling to Rutgers (>1200 miles) for a Friday night game seems like a real pain in the butt for the traveling team. Not only do they get a short week, but need to endure as long a flight as can be for a conference game. I would think that that would be a big advantage for the home team.

I guess the problem is that teams on the edge of the B1G map (MD, RUT, MN) are some of the top candidates for hosting Fri night games. Maybe limiting Fri night games to intra-division matchups would be prudent.

• Haha
Maybe travel logistics aren't as much of a problem as they seem on the surface, but having games like Iowa traveling to Maryland (>900 miles) or Neb traveling to Rutgers (>1200 miles) for a Friday night game seems like a real pain in the butt for the traveling team. Not only do they get a short week, but need to endure as long a flight as can be for a conference game. I would think that that would be a big advantage for the home team.

I guess the problem is that teams on the edge of the B1G map (MD, RUT, MN) are some of the top candidates for hosting Fri night games. Maybe limiting Fri night games to intra-division matchups would be prudent.
It was not for Maryland 10/1/21

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
It was not for Maryland 10/1/21
How do you know? Maybe Iowa wins that game 77-0 if it's played the next day...

When you have teams like MD, RUT, MN, NW, IL and IN hosting essentially all the Fri night B1G games, yeah, there's going to be a lot of wins by the road team, notwithstanding the advantage.

• Haha

Schedule them after the road team has a week off then...

‘Voted to forgo a bowl game’ at 3-5 that’s a pretty brave stand to take. They needed more time to prepare for another undefeated off season.
It was the weakest thing I've ever seen

I was disgusted over it. Its explains 3-9. Same players.

Not a fan. I live when the first game in August/Sept is at night because it's brutal to play mid day in the heat.
But I still put in for my Vacation day and the tailgate starts at 7am

ADVERTISEMENT