ADVERTISEMENT

Need for more creative play-calling

I still recommend we try the RB Toss, but that's just me.............

Also, how about this throwback to try to counter Wisconsin's 3-4 defense? :D

Huh?....Guys?....Hey come on now, hear me out. ;)

What if we didn't take two minutes to approach the LOS and diagnose the defense before running each individual play............what if, instead, every once in a while, we broke the huddle..........and just rushed to the line out of the I-formation (similar to what you see from Emmetsburg in the video), and just plowed ahead with good old-fashioned fast-off-the-ball, downhill blocking and running?

It would definitely throw a wrench into whatever Wisconsin was hoping to accomplish in terms of applying pressure and stopping our run game.

And it's not like this has to be a wholesale change. We still need to pass the ball, and we don't have to schematically alter anything. It'd just be simple up-tempo, downhill running out of the I every once in a while when we want to run the ball and perhaps not let Wisconsin go through their own defensive reads.

I mean why the f*** not at this point considering the fact that if we play like we are now running the ball, when we go to Madison.....we may actually do WORSE than the Michigan game, and we won't just have 1 yard rushing because Stanley took a bunch of sacks.

Just sayin, Brian........

P.S. I do not like Emmetsburg. We had to play them quite a bit when I was growing up and through HS. But you had to respect their success and they certainly had a system that worked.
I'm really disappointed nobody has commented on this. Must I have to start a thread for this as well?.........;)

Reactions: David1979
Illinois put up 24 on Michigan
Different game and circumstances. Before Michigan went up 28-0, Ill. had 6 possessions...4 were 3 and outs and only one went more than 10 yards (28 yds). In addition Michigan was without its best CB and best pass rusher...both senior leaders who played against you for most of the game....

Once up big they relaxed and Illinois took advantage of it. Michigan wasn't in that position against Iowa so you cant compare....so I guess it's your D's fault for keeping it close and making Michigan stay focused thus not give up 25 points...

And I believe that was their QB’s first start.
And for the 2nd and 3rd quarter Michigan acted like they didn't give a damn once they got a 28-0 lead and started turning the ball over. Then in the 4th when it was a 3 point game they started playing again. That was not the same team Iowa played, and was in a close fist fight in. I'm pretty sure if you rewatch the game you'll notice they didn't play with nearly the same energy and effort they did against the Hawks. This is exactly the same thing that people complain about Iowa, that they play down to the level of the competition. As much as coaches warn against this, its a natural occurance in how players approach games, just like many players take plays off, or don't go 100% all the time.

People say it's not coaching, it's execution. This has been the battle cry for Ferentz apologists for 19 years now. At some point you would think that they'd start to realize that in addition to calling plays, coaches are the ones who teach execution in practices as well. If it's a constant execution problem then that also becomes a direct result of poor teachings.
You should apologize for the logic you used.

You should apologize for the logic you used.
Why? Are you saying that coaching has nothing to do with execution? It's not logic, it's common sense. If class after class of students keep failing in a certain area, do you think it's all of the students in multiple years or possibly the teacher? Food for thought

Why? Are you saying that coaching has nothing to do with execution? It's not logic, it's common sense. If class after class of students keep failing in a certain area, do you think it's all of the students in multiple years or possibly the teacher? Food for thought
#Victim mentality

People say it's not coaching, it's execution. This has been the battle cry for Ferentz apologists for 19 years now. At some point you would think that they'd start to realize that in addition to calling plays, coaches are the ones who teach execution in practices as well. If it's a constant execution problem then that also becomes a direct result of poor teachings.[/QUOTE

Coaches like Ferentz and Dantonio want to play this close to the vest / ultra-conservative offense and hope their D is dominant. Even a tremendous defensive effort isn't enough to offset getting virtually nothing from the offense. Iowa D has kept them in games despite getting put in some bad situations. All these "close losses" people take consolation in could have very easily been lopsided had the D not stepped up time after time. For Iowa, a 10 point deficit is game over.

We need to block better. You can’t play-call around unblocked or lightly blocked A gap and B gap defenders.

When your line is struggling you have to tailor your play calling to help them out a little. Mix in some screens, misdirection to keep them off balance. Move the pocket so they can't key in their pass rush. Press the ball downfield to loosen up the coverage and vertically spread the field.

What BF was calling allowed the defense to pin their ears back and tee off on the O-line. There was little play calling to keep that D off balance.

Execute. Well, coaches need to execute a well called game too. They failed.

Reactions: Niko13
#Victim mentality
Lol ok. Let’s say you have a 4 year pattern where more kids in the class fail the same subject. Your line of thinking is to instantly think the masses of kids are dumb as opposed to maybe just maybe the teacher might be going about teaching that particular subject a wrong way? Wow

KF
I'm guessing that "creative" play-calling = plays that work. Amirite? o_O:rolleyes:

Iowa could implement the Annexation of Puerto Rico.

6e0926fc-a4de-4461-975f-ee4d347bbf57_screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
When your line is struggling you have to tailor your play calling to help them out a little. Mix in some screens, misdirection to keep them off balance. Move the pocket so they can't key in their pass rush. Press the ball downfield to loosen up the coverage and vertically spread the field.

What BF was calling allowed the defense to pin their ears back and tee off on the O-line. There was little play calling to keep that D off balance.

Execute. Well, coaches need to execute a well called game too. They failed.

With all due respect, unblocked interior gap players destroy every play. They destroyed Seargant’s draw to start Michigan, destroyed Goodson’s outside zone looking run that he fumbled at PSU for example. And we’ve seen it on short 3-step drops where Stanley can’t get past his first read.

Schematically, perhaps we need to simply our run blocking fronts to avoid having guards reach or miscommunications. UM had a lot of communication issues. But a lot of PSU was get our interior players getting their butts whipped decisively. We largely schemed around sacks through Stanley simply never moving off his pre-snap read and getting the ball out quickly. Sometimes too quickly like on the INT and missed TD.

Reactions: HemiHawk
Lol ok. Let’s say you have a 4 year pattern where more kids in the class fail the same subject. Your line of thinking is to instantly think the masses of kids are dumb as opposed to maybe just maybe the teacher might be going about teaching that particular subject a wrong way? Wow
Lulz. You're assuming it can't be both.

#bitter fan face

Lulz. You're assuming it can't be both.

#bitter fan face
Oh it can be but again that would still fall on the teacher to adapt and adjust styles to help everyone understand. #nochildleftbehind

#recruitsmarterplayers (since you don’t want to put any responsibility on the coach and it’s always the players fault)

I’m gathering that you don’t subscribe to the concept that a captain goes down with his ship or a general falls on the sword? You must be one of those never the king always the pawns fault kind of guys that everyone just loves the shit out of! Lol

Oh it can be but again that would still fall on the teacher to adapt and adjust styles to help everyone understand. #nochildleftbehind

#recruitsmarterplayers (since you don’t want to put any responsibility on the coach and it’s always the players fault)

I’m gathering that you don’t subscribe to the concept that a captain goes down with his ship or a general falls on the sword? You must be one of those never the king always the pawns fault kind of guys that everyone just loves the shit out of! Lol
Well, I tried to be nice, but I knew you'd make an ass of yourself with all the assumptions you've made in these last few posts, assuming where I stand because you're so bitter you are searching for anyone to blame.

I'm gonna let you stew on the fact that you're a bitter f*** (you heard me :)) while I finish my supper, and then I'll be back to wrap this up.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Lol and all that lol nonsense....young adult.

I look forward to your snappy, misguided response while I'm finishing my meal, because this is such an important topic for you, that you need to try and justify your argument.........

#bitter fan face ;)

Reactions: David1979
Well, I tried to be nice, but I knew you'd make an ass of yourself with all the assumptions you've made in these last few posts, assuming where I stand because you're so bitter you are searching for anyone to blame.

I'm gonna let you stew on the fact that you're a bitter f*** (you heard me :)) while I finish my supper, and then I'll be back to wrap this up.

I look forward to your snappy, misguided response while I'm finishing my meal, because this is such an important topic for you, that you need to try and justify your argument.........

#bitter fan face ;)

That’s a late ass dinner man. You work the night shift? :)

#bitter fan face ;)

Bitter? LOL I couldn't care less about your views or response. I'm also far from bitter about the team, coaches or the current situation of the program. I'm just stating that it's not always the players fault and the execution excuse, I feel is a copout in many cases.

Bitter?

giphy.gif

LOL I couldn't care less about your views or response. (Mmm....your recent post history in this thread says otherwise. :eek:) I'm also far from bitter about the team, coaches or the current situation of the program. (Okay.....) I'm just stating that it's not always the players' fault (Mmm that's not really what you've been saying at all......) and the execution excuse, I feel is a copout in many cases. (Well, then I have great news for you, because this is not one of those cases!!! :))
Thanks for reminding me, though...I still need to respond to your other post. ;)

I still recommend we try the RB Toss, but that's just me.............

Also, how about this throwback to try to counter Wisconsin's 3-4 defense? :D

Huh?....Guys?....Hey come on now, hear me out. ;)

What if we didn't take two minutes to approach the LOS and diagnose the defense before running each individual play............what if, instead, every once in a while, we broke the huddle..........and just rushed to the line out of the I-formation (similar to what you see from Emmetsburg in the video), and just plowed ahead with good old-fashioned fast-off-the-ball, downhill blocking and running?

It would definitely throw a wrench into whatever Wisconsin was hoping to accomplish in terms of applying pressure and stopping our run game.

And it's not like this has to be a wholesale change. We still need to pass the ball, and we don't have to schematically alter anything. It'd just be simple up-tempo, downhill running out of the I every once in a while when we want to run the ball and perhaps not let Wisconsin go through their own defensive reads.

I mean why the f*** not at this point considering the fact that if we play like we are now running the ball, when we go to Madison.....we may actually do WORSE than the Michigan game, and we won't just have 1 yard rushing because Stanley took a bunch of sacks.

Just sayin, Brian........

P.S. I do not like Emmetsburg. We had to play them quite a bit when I was growing up and through HS. But you had to respect their success and they certainly had a system that worked.

I like the idea of running up to the line like that. Emmetsburg used to switch the strong side of the OL to and the defense didn't have time to adjust. Emmetsburg would probably put LT Jackson LG Wirfs, C Linderbaum, RG Paulson (Ince or Britt) and RT Kallenberger and then run up to the line and run behind Wirfs and Jackson. Sometimes flipping the line. I actually think that line-up might be decent anyway. First, it would give Kallenberger experience at tackle, his future position. Also, it would isolate the weakness to the right so Stanley would see it coming sooner.

I like the idea of running up to the line like that. Emmetsburg used to switch the strong side of the OL to and the defense didn't have time to adjust. Emmetsburg would probably put LT Jackson LG Wirfs, C Linderbaum, RG Paulson (Ince or Britt) and RT Kallenberger and then run up to the line and run behind Wirfs and Jackson. Sometimes flipping the line. I actually think that line-up might be decent anyway. First, it would give Kallenberger experience at tackle, his future position. Also, it would isolate the weakness to the right so Stanley would see it coming sooner.
Just trying to help. That's all......:cool:

1. Either TOTALLY STOP trying to audible at the line or at the very least practice a "dummy" audible play where Stanley actually audibles to a FORWARD PASS play instead of a negative 4 yard rush where all three of the opposing teams LB's are in our backfield as the RB gets the ball because every fan knows that 99% of the time we audible to a run play. I personally scream at the TV every time I see Stanley audible....I swear that ISM could potentially be open by a 10 yard cushion if we set this "dummy" audible play up at the right time....say against Wisconsin in the opening series of the game perhaps....

I'm not sure where you'd like us to audible, if not at the line. That's actually what you are supposed to do. And we do audible to a pass at times. It isn't as common, but we do it. That is on the QB to read what he sees in the defense. Nate made a very poor and very apparent audible last game which you reference, no doubt.

2. Design some roll out plays for Stanley to get him out of the pocket and throwing on the run. If we are constantly getting blitzed, find ways to avoid the middle rush that seems to be knocking our Guards off the play almost immediately after the snap.

We do this. Hell, the play by play guys specifically mentioned us doing it a few times in one series alone last game.

3. Re-discover the tunnel / bubble screen and use it with ISM and possibly as a way to get Oliver Martin some touches in the game.

We have. ISM scored on it during the Miami of Ohio game I believe. KOK used to get berated on here for using it too often.

4. Use Goodson and Sargent as slot receivers and get some quick slants and hot routes developed into the game plan. Both guys are good receivers - give them some chances to make guys miss in the open field.

Again, we do this. But 1) Nate is pretty poor at throwing quick slants/outs because he has poor touch and doesn't lead well. See the endzone pass from last game for an example. 2) Slants are not always open and an easy way to get picked by a LB sliding outside into a soft zone.

5. Use some up tempo at least a couple of series a game.

Again, we do this. We've done it numerous times this year.
I think we did it twice in the 1st half, then abandoned it.. I have stated this point for a week, and so did Stanzi, roll him out of the pocket regularly. Our QB throws better with less thinking.

Let's run some designed QB runs early, maybe out of the empty set. Need to add a threat and get Stanley in a groove. Also, agree don't audible or vastly change-up audibles and go up tempo much more.

As I posted in other posts, this will not happen.

I think we did it twice in the 1st half, then abandoned it.. I have stated this point for a week, and so did Stanzi, roll him out of the pocket regularly. Our QB throws better with less thinking.

You mean like when Stanley rolled out and threw to a wide upon Smith for a first down only the throw was short and in the ground so Smith couldn’t catch it? Those kind of roll outs?

Reactions: Niko13
You mean like when Stanley rolled out and threw to a wide upon Smith for a first down only the throw was short and in the ground so Smith couldn’t catch it? Those kind of roll outs?
It was catchable but I get your point. He was open and the throw was bad.

Bitter? LOL I couldn't care less about your views or response. I'm also far from bitter about the team, coaches or the current situation of the program. I'm just stating that it's not always the players fault and the execution excuse, I feel is a copout in many cases.

Can't it be both? For the most part I thought BF called a solid game against PSU. I'll agree that he didn't do a good job adjusting against Michigan, though I'll argue there's only so much he can do when players don't communicate and you end up with 3 guys blocking 1, allowing multiple free runners at the QB, which happened several times.

But there were numerous times where the PSU d-line pushed our guards 2-4 yards into the backfield. That makes it really hard to step into throws, which can result in less accurate throws, and affects running lanes because it makes it harder to get to the edge for RBs. Plus, that also allows the PSU LBs to run freely to the ball. For all the complaints about BF's playcalling, we DID gain 350+ yards and had more 1st downs than PSU. What happened was there were several occasions where o-line breakdowns killed drives.

So, of our two losses, I'll put one more on the coaches and the other is more on the players IMO. Fair?

Can't it be both? For the most part I thought BF called a solid game against PSU. I'll agree that he didn't do a good job adjusting against Michigan, though I'll argue there's only so much he can do when players don't communicate and you end up with 3 guys blocking 1, allowing multiple free runners at the QB, which happened several times.

But there were numerous times where the PSU d-line pushed our guards 2-4 yards into the backfield. That makes it really hard to step into throws, which can result in less accurate throws, and affects running lanes because it makes it harder to get to the edge for RBs. Plus, that also allows the PSU LBs to run freely to the ball. For all the complaints about BF's playcalling, we DID gain 350+ yards and had more 1st downs than PSU. What happened was there were several occasions where o-line breakdowns killed drives.

So, of our two losses, I'll put one more on the coaches and the other is more on the players IMO. Fair?

Yes, it can. I worded my last sentence poorly. I meant, it's not always the players fault. The execution excuse is used far too often when some of it boils down to other problems.

Reactions: sober_teacher
The hole execution thing we hear kf point to all the time is a pet peeve of mine. Yes execution is critical, but....it’s hard to execute if the player you need to execute against is better than you. I can know what I am supposed to do on every play of the game, and be ready to do it, but try executing against someone who may be bigger faster stronger or just better than you. Execution will be very difficult
Yes, exactly. So that is why changing up.things tends to work so well.
The Iowa OL for the last couple years, in very infrequent occasions, pulled Gs and Ts and ran a more conventional blocking scheme and it seems to regularly created good success. Is there anything wrong with the coaches giving the advantage to their own guys by keeping their opponent off balance. Even just a little bit makes a big difference.
I still contend that was THE key to whipping OSU ans couple years ago.
It wasn't that they changed the whole offense for that day but they did cone out very aggressive and when they had success ( TEs, they went back to the play in short order and had success again)
I believe it worked because it was completely anti KF and they were still playing the typical odds of what KF would do.

Yes, exactly. So that is why changing up.things tends to work so well.
The Iowa OL for the last couple years, in very infrequent occasions, pulled Gs and Ts and ran a more conventional blocking scheme and it seems to regularly created good success. Is there anything wrong with the coaches giving the advantage to their own guys by keeping their opponent off balance. Even just a little bit makes a big difference.
I still contend that was THE key to whipping OSU ans couple years ago.
It wasn't that they changed the whole offense for that day but they did cone out very aggressive and when they had success ( TEs, they went back to the play in short order and had success again)
I believe it worked because it was completely anti KF and they were still playing the typical odds of what KF would do.

OSU in 2017 was the poster child for what happens when everything clicks. It also helped that they came in very arrogant and thought they could just out-talent everyone that year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT