ADVERTISEMENT

Need help accessing streaming of Hawks

Mendoza77

HR MVP
Jan 31, 2015
Fellow Cesspoolians, I need help from tech savy wrestling fans. I recently moved to Argentina and of course want to continue following Hawkeye wrestling from here - I'm talking about being able to watch the duals and tourneys live on a streaming site. Two years ago when I was here I signed up to Big Ten Plus (B1G+), but found out that it was not accessible outside of the U.S. Someone suggested a VPN that would hide where I'm located, so I was then able to access B1G+. For some reason, that method isn't working this season.

For weeks I've been emailing B1G+ and they aren't able to find a solution, so tonight I'll miss yet another dual that I really want to watch (I'm really dreading missing the PSU dual!!!). Meanwhile, I'm paying the monthly subscription and not getting any access!! Last year I had another option --- hours after a dual, the complete video of the dual was posted on YouTube. It didn't matter to me that I didn't watch it live, at least I could watch it.

So, with all that said, does someone have a suggestion for me? I'm not very knowledgable about stuff like Roku or other services. I assume that B1G+ has exclusive rights, so not sure if FLO is streaming Hawk matches. Come NCAA tourney time, not sure what's going to be available.

Youtube TV or one of the other cable streaming services? You might have to use a VPN.
Am I basically accessing B1G+ via Youtube TV? Does Youtube TV require that I have a cable account (because of course I don't down here).

No youtube.tv is basically your cable provider. You don't get access to B1G+ with it but the rest of the duals are all on regular BTN and I believe therefore not on BTN+ It's like 60 bucks a month but does have a free trial.

Reactions: Mendoza77
Most the Iowa duals are on the actual BTN and not on BTN+, so just subscribe to a service (like Youtube TV or Sling) that carries the BTN and you'll be fine for tonight's dual and PSU. You also get a free trial with most services.

Am I basically accessing B1G+ via Youtube TV? Does Youtube TV require that I have a cable account (because of course I don't down here).

YTTV is your provider and you’ll get BTN (not BTN+). You can then also stream BTN through the FOX Sports app… Using your YTTV login information.

I honestly have no idea if that works in Argentina or not.

Bad news about YouTube TV --- I just tried signing in, with my VPN activated, and YouTube/Google asked for verification -- somehow my Argentina phone is connected to Google, so YouTube TV told me that since it's showing that I'm out of the U.S., I can't subscribe! Grrrrr!!

I'm going to try Sling, hopefully have better luck, as long as they don't want to send a verification code to my U.S. phone. Sooo complicated!

Edit: Sling isn't showing that they offer BTN :(

Last edited:
I work a big chunk of the winter in the Dominican Republic, and I use Express VPN as my VPN. I haven't tried any others but that one works for me. Without it, I can't use BTN or the Fox Sports App. I use Firestick, an iPad, laptop or my phone and you can install Express vpn on them. Roku you cannot but you can create a virtual router through your computer and connect through that.

I work a big chunk of the winter in the Dominican Republic, and I use Express VPN as my VPN. I haven't tried any others but that one works for me. Without it, I can't use BTN or the Fox Sports App. I use Firestick, an iPad, laptop or my phone and you can install Express vpn on them. Roku you cannot but you can create a virtual router through your computer and connect through that.
Thanks for your comment, but you're about 10 technological levels above me! lol I'm sure my VPN is working, but for whatever reason B1G+ says my password is invalid

Bad news about YouTube TV --- I just tried signing in, with my VPN activated, and YouTube/Google asked for verification -- somehow my Argentina phone is connected to Google, so YouTube TV told me that since it's showing that I'm out of the U.S., I can't subscribe! Grrrrr!!

I'm going to try Sling, hopefully have better luck, as long as they don't want to send a verification code to my U.S. phone. Sooo complicated!

Edit: Sling isn't showing that they offer BTN :(
Its in the sports pack. I think $7 extra a month.

Its in the sports pack. I think $7 extra a month.
Mr. sdvike, for providing me with the solution to my dilemma, you are the winner of a lifetime supply of amazing pizza - the only catch is you'll have to come to my pizzeria in Argentina in order to savor my creations! Actually, the offer is open to all who responded to my pathetic plea for help.

I was able to watch last night's dual, though had to endure really bad buffering (but I can get that fixed). I do have to use a VPN since Sling, and so many other websites, are restricted for anyone outside of the U.S. I guess we're considered unworthy? :confused::rolleyes:

Well, you can still listen on iHeart Radio:
https://www.iheart.com/live/am800-kxic-5262/

Hey Mendoza, have some great beef with chimichurri, a glass of nice Malbec, and think of us.
You get huge bonus points for this reply!! Clearly you've been here before, since you know about chimichurri. And when I eat beef, the wine I order is always Malbec, even in the U.S. Though I steer clear of grilled morsilla (blood sausage) and chinchulin (intestines). If you come this way again, I'll prepare an unforgettable asado for you!

Reactions: el dub
You get huge bonus points for this reply!! Clearly you've been here before, since you know about chimichurri. And when I eat beef, the wine I order is always Malbec, even in the U.S. Though I steer clear of grilled morsilla (blood sausage) and chinchulin (intestines). If you come this way again, I'll prepare an unforgettable asado for you!
Haven't been there before, but I'd LOVE to. We had an Argentinian restaurant in my town for many years, but closed during covid. When the Argentine soccer team played her several years ago, the team ate at that restaurant, and people were 6-deep to get a peek at Messi through the window. Next time I went there a few weeks later, when my vegetarian wife was out of town. I said " I'll have whatever Messi had." The waiter smiled . . .

In addition to all the grilled cuts of beef that I ate (with cimichurri) , I remember the delicious grilled sweetbreads (pancreas), Mmmmmmmm. And GREAT wine.

But like you, next time I skip the blood sausage. Given that I grew up close to the old Czech community in Cedar Rapids, so ypu would think that I'd eat anything but the oink or the moo, but no. :)

Semi-related, possibly stupid question - if I have DirecTV, is there a way to watch BTN+ on a smart TV, or are you relegated to starting at your laptop?

Semi-related, possibly stupid question - if I have DirecTV, is there a way to watch BTN+ on a smart TV, or are you relegated to starting at your laptop?
There is a BTN app for smart TVs. It still requires the separate BTN+ subscription, but should be available if you have Roku/Samsung/FireTV, etc

You may be able to use sling box if that is still active. When my son and family move to Germany a while back, I set up a sling box on my home cable system. From Germany he was able to sign in to my cable box as long as he had high speed internet. He could watch anything that was on my cable. There are no costs except buying the sling box which is/ was around a hundred bucks. All you would need is someone in USA that would let you have control of one of their cable boxes.

ADVERTISEMENT