ADVERTISEMENT

Need new assistants!

wbrhawkeye

HR MVP
Jun 12, 2012
Can we please get some new assistants who can help Fran close the deal???

Why the hell does he always lose when it’s between Iowa and another school???Ok I get if it’s between Iowa and a blue blood school or regular NCAA tourney team but losing to Vandy and Iona??? wtf!!!

I don’t care if his uncle just got hired. We just graduated the best college player in the country who plays the same position. What a major let down!

This subject has been hashed out over the last 6 years or more. As loyal as Fran is to his players, he's even more loyal to his assistants They're not going anywhere unless they make the decision to retire and that doesn't seen very likely since they all think they can still make a difference while at Iowa. It's fools gold at best.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
I know people probably have deferring opinions but I would like to see some new assistants as well. Maybe a young hungry recruiter, an assistant from a defensive minded program. Be nice to pick off one Tony Bennett’s staff or maybe one from Porter Moser. Or who was the defensive assistant John Belein brought in a few years before he moved on. I love the way those programs play defense.

This subject has been hashed out over the last 6 years or more. As loyal as Fran is to his players, he's even more loyal to his assistants They're not going anywhere unless they make the decision to retire and that doesn't seen very likely since they all think they can still make a difference while at Iowa. It's fools gold at best.
I agree 100% with this.

Reactions: GRT2B1
What evidence do people have that coaching age is the factor and not something(s) else? I see Iona mentioned in this thread, and Rick Pitino is 68 (will be 69 in September).

I know people probably have deferring opinions but I would like to see some new assistants as well. Maybe a young hungry recruiter, an assistant from a defensive minded program. Be nice to pick off one Tony Bennett’s staff or maybe one from Porter Moser. Or who was the defensive assistant John Belein brought in a few years before he moved on. I love the way those programs play defense.

I totally agree. Seeing more and more of former players from the 90s and 00s on staffs. The one young guy Fran had when he came here was Francis who left for Cal (think he is the #2 guy there). But we are stuck with two 60 year old washed up guys in Speraw and Dillard who contribute little to nothing anymore.

What evidence do people have that coaching age is the factor and not something(s) else? I see Iona mentioned in this thread, and Rick Pitino is 68 (will be 69 in September).
I went to the Iona website so that I could then link that his assistants are much younger (a couple are somewhat). But the real takeaway is that Tom Abatemarco is on his staff. I had no idea. I guess the things he has done would be considered "hold my beer" things to Pitino.

Why the hell does he always lose when it’s between Iowa and another school???Ok I get if it’s between Iowa and a blue blood school or regular NCAA tourney team but losing to Vandy and Iona??? wtf!!!

I don’t care if his uncle just got hired. We just graduated the best college player in the country who plays the same position. What a major let down!
Would it be better if he lost when it was between Iowa and no other school?

I cannot begin to imagine why someone would choose to go to an academic lightweight like Vanderbilt ... wait, what’s that ... nevermind. Shocking concept here but maybe the kid included academics as part of his decision making process.

do you really think that’s why he chose to go there though? I highly doubt it.
Now maybe his choice was live in Nashville for a couple of years or live in iowa city.

I cannot begin to imagine why someone would choose to go to an academic lightweight like Vanderbilt ... wait, what’s that ... nevermind. Shocking concept here but maybe the kid included academics as part of his decision making process.

i know shocking isn't it

Also have to wonder if an Iowa kid didn't want to be the one following in the footsteps of Garza... I can imagine the crap he'd get from some Iowa fans for not living up to that standard.

Sometimes there is more to a decision than just basketball.

I agree. Something isn't working. Iowa seldom wins recruiting battles. Fran is no spring chicken, so he really needs to consider getting some younger, more ambitious assistants.

All you have to know is who the coach is at Iona. Enough said.

I would love to see a Dean Oliver or Jeff Horner as an assistant.
I would prefer they just be hired as the head coach. People are far to afraid of change for head Bball coaches. Basketball is not a numbers game and turnarounds can happen fast, especially given the situation with the portal now. I realize there will be no change at Iowa, but wish there was, at least with assistants.

This has been my biggest beef for a long, long time with Fran. Even Kirk forces changes at times with assistants. Fran has 0 ability to coach defense and no one on the staff can either. It should have been priority #1 years ago to get a young defensive minded guy. You get hired to win, not to take care of your friends. Only at Iowa can you basically get tenure coaching and never feel pressure.

The thing I wonder about the assistants is are they able to suggest/counter anything Fran does during the game or do they just go along with everything? For example, over the years a player might sit on the bench for an extended period or not play at all the second half of a game. Afterwards a reporter will ask Fran about it and he'll reply "Oh ya, I should have got so and so back in the game, I lost track of it." That has to be on the assistants as some point to say something. I mean Fran has his hands full throwing tantrums, getting on officials, slamming scorers table, not calling time outs, etc. He can't be expected to handle all substitutions all the time.

Now, I realize there was a time this year where a reporter asked Fran about some ridiculous lineup s (maybe @ Michigan?) and Fran had one of his sarcastic irrational meltdowns.

Overall, I actually like Fran. I do, however, think having some different voices in the room or coaches questioning him inside the locker room may lead to some growth in areas that have long been stagnant.

This has been my biggest beef for a long, long time with Fran. Even Kirk forces changes at times with assistants. Fran has 0 ability to coach defense and no one on the staff can either. It should have been priority #1 years ago to get a young defensive minded guy. You get hired to win, not to take care of your friends. Only at Iowa can you basically get tenure coaching and never feel pressure.
Robbins went to Drake and grew into a D1 major conference player. He then followed his uncle to MN, and now to Vanderbilt. Not much you can do to beat that. He wants to play for his uncle.

So you're saying Minnesota is the Vanderbilt of the Midwest?

Nope. Neither is Drake.

But, last I checked, Robbins was leaving Minnesota (which, BTW, is an excellent academic institution). Thus, if he was choosing between Vanderbilt and Iowa (as some seem to be suggesting), I have a pretty good sense as to which institution has a better academic reputation.

Can't blame anyone for wanting to earn a degree from Vanderbilt.

I don't disagree about the need for new assistants, but they aren't the problem. Fran is the head coach and CEO of Iowa hoops. His inability to seal the deal with better talent is clearly on him. I am convinced Fran's recruiting is largely one smoke screen after another as he professes to be in on certain highly rated recruits only to end up with his 3rd option as a fall back in many cases. Credit him for finding some under-recruited guys, but that's as far as the compliments go.

When Dillard and Speraw were hired we were told about their connections in Texas and Florida. How has that worked out? Good poll question: Hire an assistant who can recruit or teach defense?

I would like to see someone who can teach defense, blocking out and rebounding. We need major improvements in those areas.
I've wanted this for about 5 years and especially after seeing what it did for Michigan and Beilein. It won't happen, no reason far Fran to change anything in his mind with a shiny new extension. I thought the last 2 years were ridiculous until we see what the program is post Garza. I think it's going to be very 17-18 like

I don't disagree about the need for new assistants, but they aren't the problem. Fran is the head coach and CEO of Iowa hoops. His inability to seal the deal with better talent is clearly on him. I am convinced Fran's recruiting is largely one smoke screen after another as he professes to be in on certain highly rated recruits only to end up with his 3rd option as a fall back in many cases. Credit him for finding some under-recruited guys, but that's as far as the compliments go.

When Dillard and Speraw were hired we were told about their connections in Texas and Florida. How has that worked out? Good poll question: Hire an assistant who can recruit or teach defense?
The kids tell the media what schools they like and who is recruiting them the hardest.

I'll take that bet. So the kid has gone from prep school in Kansas to now his THIRD university in about 24 to 30 months and his big focus is academics? Sure thats it..........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT