ADVERTISEMENT

Need new assistants!

I don’t know how many of you guys have ever spoken with Iowa’s asst coaches. But if you could spend 5 minutes with any of them you would completely change your opinion. They are good guys and really hard workers who know the game inside and out.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
I don’t know how many of you guys have ever spoken with Iowa’s asst coaches. But if you could spend 5 minutes with any of them you would completely change your opinion. They are good guys and really hard workers who know the game inside and out.

I have nothing against the assistants, but since Fran doesn't listen to them anyway, he might as well hire someone who has an 18yr old kid that is a 4-star talent.

I'll take that bet. So the kid has gone from prep school in Kansas to now his THIRD university in about 24 to 30 months and his big focus is academics? Sure thats it..........

I wrote “included academics in his decision making process.” You don’t think that he once considered that Vanderbilt is generally considered to be among the top “non-Ivy” universities? Never crossed his mind once? Never mentioned by anyone recruiting him? Several friends of mine have had kids recruited by Vanderbilt. The school’s academic standing plays a huge role in their “pitch.”

I bleed Hawkeye black-and-gold and received both of my degrees from there. I am an unapologetic enthusiast for what Iowa City and the university have to offer. But, I can’t ever blame a kid for choosing a university with the reputation possessed by Vanderbilt. Hell, it killed me that my oldest (no pics) chose Ann Arbor over Iowa City. But I’ve seen first-hand the doors that have been opened due to the Michigan alumni network. Out-of-state tuition was a beast but it paid immediate dividends. Worth every penny.

If Robbins doesn’t play professionally, his degree from Vanderbilt (assuming that he takes advantage of the opportunity presented) will open up many doors and afford him the chance at a successful non-BB future.

I wrote “included academics in his decision making process.” You don’t think that he once considered that Vanderbilt is generally considered to be among the top “non-Ivy” universities? Never crossed his mind once? Never mentioned by anyone recruiting him? Several friends of mine have had kids recruited by Vanderbilt. The school’s academic standing plays a huge role in their “pitch.”

I bleed Hawkeye black-and-gold and received both of my degrees from there. I am an unapologetic enthusiast for what Iowa City and the university have to offer. But, I can’t ever blame a kid for choosing a university with the reputation possessed by Vanderbilt. Hell, it killed me that my oldest (no pics) chose Ann Arbor over Iowa City. But I’ve seen first-hand the doors that have been opened due to the Michigan alumni network. Out-of-state tuition was a beast but it paid immediate dividends. Worth every penny.

If Robbins doesn’t play professionally, his degree from Vanderbilt (assuming that he takes advantage of the opportunity presented) will open up many doors and afford him the chance at a successful non-BB future.
To modify the last paragraph. A degree from ‘any P5 conference school while playing either football or basketball’ will open up many doors not afforded to non athletes with the same degree from said university.

that however doesn’t last as long as the prestige of the degree.

To be clear, this is not an attempt at being snarky. Given the experience of Fran + staff, why has good defense been so elusive? I don't know that a change in assistants is going to impact this, but if a new assistant brings recruiting relationships that result in pulling kids from Texas or wherever to upgrade Iowa's pipelines, there would seem to be value there.

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
Can we please get some new assistants who can help Fran close the deal???

Why the hell does he always lose when it’s between Iowa and another school???Ok I get if it’s between Iowa and a blue blood school or regular NCAA tourney team but losing to Vandy and Iona??? wtf!!!

I don’t care if his uncle just got hired. We just graduated the best college player in the country who plays the same position. What a major let down!

You want better recruits but worse coaches?

I think you're missing the whole point of this transfer. He is obviously following his uncle. He most likely would have followed him to whatever school, independent of their academic standing.

I'll take that bet. So the kid has gone from prep school in Kansas to now his THIRD university in about 24 to 30 months and his big focus is academics? Sure thats it..........
Not to mention that he'll be senior and may only spend one year at Vanderbilt. (I now he has technically two years of eligibility because of the COVID year).

Getting credits to transfer from two different schools will be a logistical nightmare unless he's in some doofus major. I don't know what kind of impact one year of academics is going to have for the kid.

If I had to hazard a guess, Liam probably doesn't give a rip about academics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT