ADVERTISEMENT

need tax advice as my old job changed me from a W2 employee to a 1099 employee without my knowledge.

There are laws around what constitutes a 1099 employee... My guess without knowing a thing about what you do is they probably reclassified you just to save money and your job probably doesn't really qualify as 1099...
This ^

It's been a big deal the last couple of years for both the DoL and IRS. Employer could be on the hook for matching FICA and FUTA. California has been especially heavy on forcing the employee classification (over 1099).

Figure what you owe and pay it. If you were only 1099 for a short time, your mileage probably won't make any difference anyway. You have to come up with more deductions than the standard deduction for it to be beneficial to itemize. Just figure out what you owe, pay it, and move on. There's no viable option that doesn't result in you paying what is owed.

I've been out of the personal income tax game for a lot of years, but I believe you can still itemize your business expenses on Schedule C and still take the standard deduction on your form 1040 line 12.

Hey, thanks for the replies. I will look closer at them when I finish work. One thing I did notice , about health ins. I was on my wifes insurance so that was a non issue. I just got my tax form back last night saying I was payed 60k as a W2 and 6k as a 1099. First I new of the 1099 thing. Job responsibilities the same,and same required tuesday meetings

Hey, thanks for the replies. I will look closer at them when I finish work. One thing I did notice , about health ins. I was on my wifes insurance so that was a non issue. I just got my tax form back last night saying I was payed 60k as a W2 and 6k as a 1099. First I new of the 1099 thing. Job responsibilities the same,and same required tuesday meetings
6k assuming they didn’t withhold anything probably looking at 2500 in fed taxes. Depending on your tax bracket. Hopefully u have your write offs info. That is a shit thing to do to an employee.

After deductions I would be surprised if you paid much, if anything, in taxes on 6k.

I used there credit card for food. I will have mileage and tolls I'm guessing, phone, ... let me k ow if any other deductions

Let me know what you do for a living.

Send me a DM if you want.

I'm a CPA and do taxes all day every day.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I used there credit card for food. I will have mileage and tolls I'm guessing, phone, ... let me k ow if any other deductions
Office supplies including laptop, ipad, computer, office space in the home, some health insurance/ supplemental ins that isn't taken out of a paycheck (work comp, cancer, heart), airfare, hotels.

Reactions: Moral
Office supplies, office space in the home, any health insurance/ supplemental ins that isn't taken out of a paycheck, airfare, hotels.
He’s on his wife’s insurance. Doubt he can subtract co pays or any non covered healthcare deductible.

He’s on his wife’s insurance. Doubt he can subtract co pays or any non covered healthcare deductible.
I was able to write off supplemental ins premiums while on my wifes insurance through work, so I would ask if I were him. Considering he has anything like that.

Reactions: tumorboy
I was able to write off supplemental ins premiums while on my wifes insurance through work, so I would ask if I were him. Considering he has anything like that.
But if he was on her insurance from the start of year? Weird I guess. If the feds allow it.

Is self employed health insurance deductible?

Yes.

But it's not decreasing your self employment income/tax. Meaning, it doesn't go on your Sch C.
But if he was on her insurance from the start of year? Weird I guess. If the feds allow it.
Won't argue with anyone on the ins and outs, because I have no idea. All I know is that come time for me to do my taxes my acct would tell me all the things to bring in for deductions. Supplemental health ins premiums were on that list. So I mentioned that to OP.

Are you sure you were "switched"? Or was the 6k some other form compensation - like did you earn a special vacation spiff or anything like that? Sometimes they put those on a 1099, although I'm not sure why.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Unless u had to pay some sort of penalty to get o to your wife’s insurance mid year. Not seeing an outlay in business expenses by u.

Here's my question: A 1099 means he was a contractor and not employee, so he was effectively "laid off" from his job as an employee. Shouldn't he have received proper notice and been entitled to unemployment, COBRA, etc.?

Need a legal eagle like Slippin' @Jimmy McGill to weigh in here.

I'm not into labor law, but from what I recall from law school, you are kind of up the creek if you are an independent contractor. It is a reason that a lot of companies prefer to do the independent contract worker stuff. I would never work for one that does business like that

Office supplies including laptop, ipad, computer, office space in the home, some health insurance/ supplemental ins that isn't taken out of a paycheck (work comp, cancer, heart), airfare, hotels.

I would caution the OP about claiming a deduction for office space in the home. It has long been a red flag for the IRS to take a closer look at your returns so read up on it before deciding to take advantage of such a deduction. You have to pass the tests of exclusivity, regularity and precedence for it to be considered a legitimate deduction from the IRS perspective.

Reactions: iowahaha1
Need some true help from this message board here

About 2 months ago, my company brought me in and I thought they were going to let me go from my sales job, instead they gave me a pay cut. I had another job lined up, but it would take a couple of months till they were ready to bring me on board. So for 2 months I rode the job out with a pay cut till the new job opened, which I have now.

I just got my tax report back from them and they paid me as a 1099 when I took the pay cut. To my fault I never looked at my electronic pay stub (as you have to go to an external site), I just looked at my automatic deposits. So what do I do now?

I am guessing I will request my pay-stubs. Since I no longer work for this company I have no access to their computer system to access them. I usually file my own taxes with my wife so I will have to find out what forms to get to pay 1099 taxes. Since I didn't know I was a 1099 employee I did not keep track of my car mileage that I drove. One question for you is can a company just change you from a W2 to a 1099 without your knowledge? In hind sight, I would have made more money if they would have fired me and I collected unemployment.

A little help here would be appreciated.
Yes, I would politely talk with them voicing your concerns that you still believed you were a W-2 employee. Without an employee being fully aware they are a contract employee, and qualify for being a contract employee, carrying own liability insurance, having other employment it would be a tough argument for them. Especially while you still continued performing the same job, yeah needless to say they would be screwed. Also I think would be liable for entirety of self employment taxes, they would have to revise. Ive seen in some cases they have paid the federal and state WH as well :).

However with all that being said, you may actually be better off keeping the 2 months as 1099. Find all business expenses you can find, mileage (or actual vehicle expense, phone expense, any small tools expense, any misc expense, supplies, office expense, licenses) You may be able to find enough expenses to basically eliminate the 1099 income. I would calculate things first before creating issue with your company. However, significant tax difference go after them full force.

FyI estimate your mileage shouldn't be that difficult. Either find the time you were contracted employee, calculate the days and then the mileage round trip. As contract employee your home is your work address. Talk with tax advisor they may be comfortable taking mileage for the entire year considering the issue at hand.

Last edited:
I would caution the OP about claiming a deduction for office space in the home. It has long been a red flag for the IRS to take a closer look at your returns so read up on it before deciding to take advantage of such a deduction. You have to pass the tests of exclusivity, regularity and precedence for it to be considered a legitimate deduction from the IRS perspective.
I'm not telling OP what to deduct, but your silly not to ask a tax professional. I used every deduction I could when I was 1099. W2 is for the birds. Absolutely hate it.

From what I can tell, OP worked on site and therefore had no home office.

As a 1099 contractor, could OP claim expenses for driving his vehicle to the job site each day?

From what I can tell, OP worked on site and therefore had no home office.

As a 1099 contractor, could OP claim expenses for driving his vehicle to the job site each day?
As stated earlier if a contractor I would consider his home to be his main office location. So yes I would be taking mileage.

Regarding home office, its 1 freaking year. Besides you could always put in other expenses either home office sq footage times $5 or in misc. I highly doubt he will be audited on schedule C income that has 2 months of income. You have to remember, IRS wants to make money on their letters or audits.

My advice is to go shoot the place up and teach those assholes a lesson they won’t soon forget. U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

Is self employed health insurance deductible?

Yes.

But it's not decreasing your self employment income/tax. Meaning, it doesn't go on your Sch C.
It does decrease your income tax though. Depending on tax rates could be significant, but yes not as much as Sch C deduction which has the income tax plus the 15.3% self employment tax.

Assuming the "job site" is his office, the answer is NO.

The IRS considers this commuting which isn't deductible.

Now if he has to drive to different locations/clients that's a different story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT