ADVERTISEMENT

Need to check out GA Southern, Marshall, and App St offenses; hawks need to use RB more for pass targets

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I am just curious what types of offense those teams run. Does anyone know? I would think it would be hard for them to go straight at TXA&M and NDame just running the ball for a whole game, but maybe. So I just want to see how they can beat the big guys and put points on the board. Heaven knows the hawks cant score points.

And Patty Fitz is using Hull, their running back, as an explosive safety valve and short route receiver as he had about 150 receiving yards.

I think the Ferentzes are wasting our running backs in pass pro rather than just swinging the out for simple safe passes and trying to get them to make a guy miss and get some big YAC.

Reactions: jhawk23
I have watched two drives by Marshall in their win against NDame. QB in shotgun usually with one running back, no TEnds, 4 wideouts that look fast, 5 man offensive line. Mainly a few runs to the running back but a lot of fake handoffs and wide receiver screens, jet sweep, quick and longer slants. Positional pass routes and spreading the field.

Marshall can go to a tight power run formation. It is a full house pistol formation for those of you who know what "full house backfield" is. But also they have fast receivers who can threaten deep, turn the defender then the receivers stop for easy comeback passes.

Iowa certainly doesnt have this talent in the passing game right now.

I am just curious what types of offense those teams run. Does anyone know? I would think it would be hard for them to go straight at TXA&M and NDame just running the ball for a whole game, but maybe. So I just want to see how they can beat the big guys and put points on the board. Heaven knows the hawks cant score points.

And Patty Fitz is using Hull, their running back, as an explosive safety valve and short route receiver as he had about 150 receiving yards.

I think the Ferentzes are wasting our running backs in pass pro rather than just swinging the out for simple safe passes and trying to get them to make a guy miss and get some big YAC.
Nah, can't do that kind of stuff.....our backs might get hurt.

I have watched two drives by Marshall in their win against NDame. QB in shotgun usually with one running back, no TEnds, 4 wideouts that look fast, 5 man offensive line. Mainly a few runs to the running back but a lot of fake handoffs and wide receiver screens, jet sweep, quick and longer slants. Positional pass routes and spreading the field.
Other than Petras, I have not seen another college QB in 2022 line up under center.

Jerry Rice could not catch a pass thrown 10 feet over his head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkdome
I agree with the OP. Don't understand why we don't use our RBs who are our best o athletes in the passing game more since our WRs are a big weakness. Not been impressed with Bruce this year either.

Reactions: SI_NYC
This is not in support of Petras, but the backs need to lay a block before they go out for a route.

We have ZERO offensive aptitude between KF & BF. They are all rhetoric and no substance. If you have listened to one of BF two hour interviews you will know what I mean. It’s a “Snow Job”.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
ADVERTISEMENT