ADVERTISEMENT

Neighbor just got a pit bull...

Jul 30, 2004
Background:

• We live in a nice neighborhood -- nothing flashy, 2500-3500 square foot homes, with lots of salt of the earth folks.
  • We have 3 kids -- almost 6, 3.5, and 1.5. There are a good number of kids in the neighborhood, and there are several who we often play with at the big common grassy field.
  • There's a family that lives close to that grassy field who has lived in the neighborhood for 4-5 years, but they generally keep to themselves. We just met them as they have a 1st grader who is in the same class as my son's best friend (another 1st grader).
  • Today, we were out there playing baseball (learning coach pitch) and the dad comes out with their new "puppy." This thing is a pit bull, had "been in his crate" all morning, and was full of energy. He was off leash, and jumping very high. Apparently, despite being 4-5 months old, this pit bull has deflated several footballs and soccer balls.
  • I bit my tongue (pit bull owner was only there 5 minutes), but I unloaded to my friend (the other dad) after he left. I'm not a Karen -- I understand that there will always be dangers (high schoolers driving too fast, etc.), but a pit bull off leash, who apparently will spend Monday - Friday in a crate terrifies me as a parent. We have a lab, and it's inevitable that the dog will eventually run out the front door.

What do you think I should do? We have an HOA, but I haven't yet read through the 100 pages of rules and regulations. Should I communicate the concern to other homeowners, and start a "campaign" of sorts?

Eager for your thoughts. Keep in mind, this family has a 7 year old and 4 years old, and have decided to raise their kids with a pit bull.

All dogs can be crazy, especially as puppies. The bigger issue is letting the dog run off leash. I would check into leash laws in your area and try to enforce that. As for dogs, while I'm not a pit bull fan; they're not naturally more aggressive than many other dogs their size. A dog's temperament is more related to their owner than anything else.

Make sure it has a good chain or solid fenced in yard. My neighbor had a huge pitbull, he was an attorney and his dad is a very prominent attorney. That dog would bust his chain all the time and run the neighborhood. We had small children at home and ended up building a fence around our yard.
He moved out a year later and we toured his house which was in foreclosure, he basically let the dog have the basement as his room and the smell of urine and feces was enough to gag a maggot.

Reactions: NoleATL
They’re not any more aggressive as a cocker spaniel, pits get a horrible and undeserved bad reputation. If the owners treat it with love and affection like they should it won’t be a problem.
This is an out right lie. They are genetically bred for aggression. They are canine reactive and will attack a child if it screams.

The only dog I have heard of killing an infant in a crib.

Carry pepper spray and something to shove up the dogs ass . I was told by a lifetime pit owner that it is the only way they will break their bite grip short of killing it.

The trailer trash pet of choice.

All dogs can be crazy, especially as puppies. The bigger issue is letting the dog run off leash. I would check into leash laws in your area and try to enforce that. As for dogs, while I'm not a pit bull fan; they're not naturally more aggressive than many other dogs their size. A dog's temperament is more related to their owner than anything else.

Yep, and a lot of trashy people own pit bulls.

Reactions: NI hawk
Background:

• We live in a nice neighborhood -- nothing flashy, 2500-3500 square foot homes, with lots of salt of the earth folks.
  • We have 3 kids -- almost 6, 3.5, and 1.5. There are a good number of kids in the neighborhood, and there are several who we often play with at the big common grassy field.
  • There's a family that lives close to that grassy field who has lived in the neighborhood for 4-5 years, but they generally keep to themselves. We just met them as they have a 1st grader who is in the same class as my son's best friend (another 1st grader).
  • Today, we were out there playing baseball (learning coach pitch) and the dad comes out with their new "puppy." This thing is a pit bull, had "been in his crate" all morning, and was full of energy. He was off leash, and jumping very high. Apparently, despite being 4-5 months old, this pit bull has deflated several footballs and soccer balls.
  • I bit my tongue (pit bull owner was only there 5 minutes), but I unloaded to my friend (the other dad) after he left. I'm not a Karen -- I understand that there will always be dangers (high schoolers driving too fast, etc.), but a pit bull off leash, who apparently will spend Monday - Friday in a crate terrifies me as a parent. We have a lab, and it's inevitable that the dog will eventually run out the front door.

What do you think I should do? We have an HOA, but I haven't yet read through the 100 pages of rules and regulations. Should I communicate the concern to other homeowners, and start a "campaign" of sorts?

Eager for your thoughts. Keep in mind, this family has a 7 year old and 4 years old, and have decided to raise their kids with a pit bull.
Just remember after almost every Pitbull mauling, there is the owner with their hands up stating "he has always been a sweet dog".

I would contact the HOA as it’s a matter of when, not if

This is straight up bullshit. I'd definitely be concerned and if there's a when it has the potential to be really bad as I've seen a pit bull attack up close in my park after it's shit head owner let it get loose (still had his balls) but I've also been around very gentle pits that could take a kid pulling their tail no problem

I'd have a man to man with the dad about my concerns, especially being off leash. If they are responsible people it can be managed but it would still make me anxious

Reactions: McLovin32
I would contact the HOA, I don't care what type of dog it is, from a small yappy dog to a bullmastiff with a mean streak, put your dog on a leash. I would be shocked if the HOA does not have a policy on leashes.

Talk to your neighbors about your concern and offer to pay for the dog to be removed. When they refuse and you end up going the HOA route at least you'd have tried diplomacy.

Reactions: ping72
This is straight up bullshit. I'd definitely be concerned and if there's a when it has the potential to be really bad as I've seen a pit bull attack up close in my park after it's shit head owner let it get loose (still had his balls) but I've also been around very gentle pits that could take a kid pulling their tail no problem

I'd have a man to man with the dad about my concerns, especially being off leash. If they are responsible people it can be managed but it would still make me anxious
n the 10 years from 2009 to 2018, pit bulls killed or maimed 3,569 people in the USA and Canada. (Merritt Clifton, Dog Attack Deaths & Maimings, U.S. & Canada, 1982-2018 Log.) They killed over 80% of all Americans who are killed by dogs. (Colleen Lynn, 2015 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities, at http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2015.php.)

When, not if.

The dog needs to be on a leash.

Pit bulls, even with a great demeanor, can revert to instinct to dominate around children and other dogs.

Any dog can. Leashed in public is the safest way to go. The breed shouldn't be the bridge to the discussion with the neighbor, the dog off the leash with kids should be the way to chat with the neighbor.

n the 10 years from 2009 to 2018, pit bulls killed or maimed 3,569 people in the USA and Canada. (Merritt Clifton, Dog Attack Deaths & Maimings, U.S. & Canada, 1982-2018 Log.) They killed over 80% of all Americans who are killed by dogs. (Colleen Lynn, 2015 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities, at http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2015.php.)

When, not if.

To say that the dogs grouped as pit bulls are the most dangerous when they attack, I would agree, as do the statistics.
Your stating "when not if" is wholly inaccurate. Again using your numbers and taking into account that there are approximately 18 million "pitbull" and "pitbull mixed" dogs in this country, the numbers do not support your comment.
That is not to diminish the fact some can be very dangerous and I personally don't see the reward outweighing the risk of having one as a pet.

They’re not any more aggressive as a cocker spaniel, pits get a horrible and undeserved bad reputation. If the owners treat it with love and affection like they should it won’t be a problem.

I suspect that the OP would react the same way if a black family moved in.

Assuming a father of 3 young kids is a racist because he is concerned about an off-leash pit bull?

Reactions: artradley

OK pitbull advocates, find the stories of doodles or cocker spaniels doing these things.

Maybe try talking to the owner in a calm professional manner that dogs should be on a leash for their protection and everyone else's. If you want to mention that there are many people that may not be dog people or are scared of all dogs especially dogs of that breed whether he agrees or not. They most certainly won't know his dog specifically and will see pit and even if coming to play a scared person unknowingly could take it as an act of aggression and shoot it or hurt it.

Reactions: desihawk
i was in worse than op’s position a couple or so years ago and had started a similar thread here, got a bunch of eye opening responses. what worked for me was the last thing i would’ve expected to work — i spoke with my neighbor who used to have the pit in his yard all day. crazy as it seems he totally understood and the dog hasn’t shown up since (it was his daughter’s).
in comparison i think op is in a much better spot since the dog isn’t right next door. you at least have the option to avoid the greens on dog days. in any case, talk to the owner, worst case you know your options better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT