ADVERTISEMENT

Neil Young tells Spotify to choose between him and Joe Rogan.

Woke crowd. Lol. People just gotta have manufactured “enemies” to give life meaning, I guess.
I wonder what the posters who are disgusted with the "woke" crowd think they should be called. The sleeping crowd? The eyes closed crowd? The conked crowd?

Okay, word definitions didn’t get handed down on a stone tablet. Censorship is traditionally associated with government suppressing, but if you want to broaden it for your purposes, feel free.

I agree with the ACLU:
Censorship can be carried out by the government as well as private pressure groups.

Perhaps the discussion should be on whether Young’s position is a correct one - that Spotify should not allow itself to be a platform for dangerously false information.

Or do you consider any version of “censorship” to be wrong?
No, I don't.

You're kidding, right? HROT is moderated you know. Some of it is automatic. Try posting the racist epithet for black people - it starts with an "n" and ends with "er". Tell me how far you get. They even have people called *gasp* moderators.
You're a hoot.
What does a moderator do?

Definition of censor
transitive verb
: to examine in order to suppress (see SUPPRESS sense 2) or delete anything considered objectionable
censor the news
also : to suppress or delete as objectionable
censor out indecent passages

I agree with the ACLU:
Censorship can be carried out by the government as well as private pressure groups.

No, I don't.
Note the word “groups” in the definition you choose to follow.

Neil Young is not a group. He is an individual who chooses not to be associated with a company that is associated with Rogan.

No matter how many times you say it, it’s still not censorship.

You are wrong. Just admit it.

Note the word “groups” in the definition you choose to follow.
Neil Young is not a group. He is an individual who chooses not to be associated with a company that is associated with Rogan.
No matter how many times you say it, it’s still not censorship.
You are wrong. Just admit it.
If he didn't want Rogan censored on Spotify, what do you call it?

Censorship is when someone tries to suppress communication because they find the content of the communication objectionable.

Whether they have the power to achieve their censorship goals is separate from whether or not their goal is censorship.

His catalogue was his leverage, we just agree it wasn’t much leverage.
He has the desire to censor, he just lacks the power. That doesn’t alter the nature of what he’s trying to accomplish, suppressing a communication he finds objectionable.
You, arguably, by this definition, participate in censorship by your own “benshapiroing”.

You, arguably, by this definition, participate in censorship by your own “benshapiroing”.
Then argue it.
I've never tried to suppress anyone else's speech here.

Quite the opposite, I'm trying to get them to offer their opinion, or more often the reasoning behind their opinion. It's possible they know about something, or have considered it from an angle that I had not.

Do you think when someone "lol"s and ducks out of the conversation after they've been asked a question that they've been suppressed? Or is it something else?

A business deal made based on his own conscience. It’s not censorship. You are wrong.
If he had simply quit Spotify, I'd completely agree.

But an ultimatum to remove someone else's content goes beyond that, and that's where his letter went.
It was immediately recognized as such, and acknowledged by you.
You can't gloss over or ignore the thing that makes it an attempt to censor someone else's communications with third parties.
That's why it is censorship.

Then argue it.
I've never tried to suppress anyone else's speech here.

Quite the opposite, I'm trying to get them to offer their opinion, or more often the reasoning behind their opinion. It's possible they know about something, or have considered it from an angle that I had not.

Do you think when someone "lol"s and ducks out of the conversation after they've been asked a question that they've been suppressed? Or is it something else?
You try to suppress ideas by truncating and excerpting and pretty much disallowing context when it suits your ideological bent. So… suppression… so… censoring. There is no arguing with you given this is your behavior. It’s a waste of time.

Reactions: mstp1992
You try to suppress ideas by truncating and excerpting and pretty much disallowing context when it suits your ideological bent. So… suppression… so… censoring. There is no arguing with you given this is your behavior. It’s a waste of time.
But anyone is free to include any context they feel applies. I have no power to stop them, nor have I tried to exercise it.
Are you talking about highlighting a sentence in a post asking about it instead of quoting the whole thing in a chunk? I avoid that usually because it buries it in fade. If you read that as an effort to suppress, you misread. I'm not trying to 'Dowdify' anyone comments to twist them into something else. I'm merely trying to bring focus to what I'm asking about. If there is additional context, it's what I'm looking for.

I'm arguing with mstp because he wants to drop the context of Neil's ultimatum from analyzing Neil's goals. I think that leads to his confusion about why it was an effort to censor Rogan.

If he had simply quit Spotify, I'd completely agree.
I think that’s exactly what he did.
But an ultimatum to remove someone else's content goes beyond that, and that's where his letter went.
I don’t get the sense that Young demanded they remove Rogan or had any illusions that they would remove Rogan.

Rogan is Spotify’s bell cow and I’m reasonably certain Young understands that. Young is, what, 50th or something like that on their list of top content providers?

I don’t think he tried to leverage Rogan’s ouster or anything of that nature. He simply decided he didn’t want to be associated with a company that allows Rogan to spread information he considers a hazard to public health so he told Spotify to remove his music.

But anyone is free to include any context they feel applies. I have no power to stop them, nor have I tried to exercise it.
Are you talking about highlighting a sentence in a post asking about it instead of quoting the whole thing in a chunk? I avoid that usually because it buries it in fade. If you read that as an effort to suppress, you misread. I'm not trying to 'Dowdify' anyone comments to twist them into something else. I'm merely trying to bring focus to what I'm asking about. If there is additional context, it's what I'm looking for.

I'm arguing with mstp because he wants to drop the context of Neil's ultimatum from analyzing Neil's goals. I think that leads to his confusion about why it was an effort to censor Rogan.
And now you just argued on behalf of the behavior of Neil Young, you dipshit wannabebenshapiro.

Reactions: noleclone2
“They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.”

That's why the Washington Post headline called it an ultimatum.
I don’t see that as an attempt to get Rogan removed. Again, I don’t think Young had any illusions that Spotify would drop Rogan in order to keep access to his music. That was simply Young’s way of saying that if Rogan is going to continue spreading his views about vaccines on Spotify then Spotify can’t stream his music anymore.

By the definition you used, Young’s behavior was not censorship. It was a business decision. He disagreed with Rogan’s views on vaccines and based on his own beliefs told Spotify that if they didn’t do something about it he was going to leave. He never said Rogan could NOT present his views. Young merely said he doesn’t want to be associated with a platform that DOES allow it.

Just admit that you’re wrong on this issue. You remind me of someone with damage in the VMPFC.

Reactions: Rudolph
Ok, so how long does this last for Neil Young? Is he done with Spotify forever? Let’s say COVID actually goes away in a couple years, or mutates to where there are no longer significant numbers of deaths. Let’s say that the vaccine is no longer even a talking point. Is this it for NY. This one issue at this one moment in time, is that enough to hold a forever grudge?

Isn't Neil Young the guy that was on a crusade against GMOs?

Bigger picture here, I think we're going through a transitory phase societally where vastly differing opinions are learning how to co-exist in world where information and communication is incredibly democratized -- anybody can be heard. And it's bad, and it's good, and it's our new reality.

I think there's a good chance we'll make it through to the other side and stabilize. This was always the internet's destiny, and so it is ours.

In general... I say work on the problems that create mistrust and attachment to bad ideas rather than trying to use power and clout to stop them.

… through butt force, possibly.

Pretty sure that was one of the AGD's SuperPowers...

fe03KUrJ8wRcY0q346DjYQtbgT8.jpg

Ok, so how long does this last for Neil Young? Is he done with Spotify forever? Let’s say COVID actually goes away in a couple years, or mutates to where there are no longer significant numbers of deaths. Let’s say that the vaccine is no longer even a talking point. Is this it for NY. This one issue at this one moment in time, is that enough to hold a forever grudge?
I’d say not long at all. I have Neil Young in my 2022 celebrity dead pool.

Reactions: Chief Turkeyscratch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT