ADVERTISEMENT

Neil Young tells Spotify to choose between him and Joe Rogan.

You back yourself into a corner and try to fight your way out by playing question tennis.
I’m actually trying to avoid that by asking for your definition of censorship instead of you trying to tell me everything you think isn’t censorship.

What is censorship?

Depending on what he does or does not own...if I recall he sold over half is library for 100 mil a few years ago
I do seem to recall that, too. I don't know, but I wonder if there were some contingencies involved in the sale, such as that he has final approval of how its disseminated. Just a thought.

Hasn't he had issues with Spotify in the past unrelated to this current upheaval?

I’m actually trying to avoid that by asking for your definition of censorship instead of you trying to tell me everything you think isn’t censorship.

What is censorship?
You have no basis for calling it censorship. If you did, you would have responded in kind.

Ultimatums do not equal censorship. Neil Young said, "They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.” While this might be perceived as an ultimatum, it's not censorship.

What is your basis for calling this censorship?

Reactions: mstp1992
You are beating the shit out of that dead horse. If YOU refuse to conduct business with a company that supports beliefs you find abhorent...is THAT censorship? If your answer is "Yes" then my definition of censorship is immaterial.
I'm not really a spotify guy but Im guessing there are plenty of artist/podcast on there that wouldn't fit most peoples beliefs.

Yet, you're unable to explain your basis for calling it censorship.
Tell you what, why don't you give us your definition of censorship and see how you think it applies in this situation.
post #123

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information.

If you issue an ultimatum for someone else’s communication to be suppressed, that’s a call for censorship.

He’s even stated why he thinks Rogan should be censored (the information he communicates is dangerous), but y’all don’t want to call it censorship.

What is the ultimatum for?

Last edited:
Reactions: Panic1769
You are beating the shit out of that dead horse. If YOU refuse to conduct business with a company that supports beliefs you find abhorent...is THAT censorship? If your answer is "Yes" then my definition of censorship is immaterial.
If I issue an ultimatum that someone else’s communications be suppressed or else, that’s censorship.
What else would you call the request?

post #123

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information.

If you issue an ultimatum for someone else’s communication to be suppressed, that’s a call for censorship.

He’s even stated why he thinks Rogan should be censored (the information he communicates is dangerous), but y’all don’t want to call it censorship.

What is the ultimatum
Where did he say Rogan should be censored?

You like creating euphemistic diversions. Calling something dangerous isn't censorship.

You keep digging a deeper hole for yourself, friend.

If I issue an ultimatum that someone else’s communications be suppressed or else, that’s censorship.
What else would you call the request?
Young isn't saying Rogan's views should be suppressed. He is just choosing not to do business with Spotify if they continue to do business with Rogan.

It's not censorship.

Period.

Full stop.

Young isn't saying Rogan's views should be suppressed. He is just choosing not to do business with Spotify if they continue to do business with Rogan.

It's not censorship.

Period.

Full stop.
Two questions I haven’t seen you answer, if I missed it just quote it or point me to the thread as I did you with post #123

What is censorship? You haven’t mentioned any disagreement with the definition I posted.

If I present an ultimatum telling a broadcaster to stop broadcasting someone else, how is that NOT an effort to suppress their communications?

Young didn't say that, though.
It’s amusing that mstp1992 likes your post after he declared:
what's wrong with Young's ultimatum? You may disagree with it, but he has every right to make that demand. The decision ultimately lies with Spotify.
I agree that Young can demand censorship of views he doesn’t want other people to hear, I just hope he and the others who want to suppress viewpoints they wish others couldn’t hear don’t get their demands met.

Two questions I haven’t seen you answer, if I missed it just quote it or point me to the thread as I did you with post #123

What is censorship? You haven’t mentioned any disagreement with the definition I posted.

If I present an ultimatum telling a broadcaster to stop broadcasting someone else, how is that NOT an effort to suppress their communications?
Once again, Young is making a business proposition. It’s actually more akin to a boycott.

I agree that Young can demand censorship of views he doesn’t want other people to hear, I just hope he and the others who want to suppress viewpoints they wish others couldn’t hear don’t get their demands met.
Where was censorship demanded?

Young is not censoring Rogan. Young doesn’t have that power.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
I do seem to recall that, too. I don't know, but I wonder if there were some contingencies involved in the sale, such as that he has final approval of how its disseminated. Just a thought.

Hasn't he had issues with Spotify in the past unrelated to this current upheaval?
It's Neil Young, he's been protesting everything forever.

Where was censorship demanded?
“Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform”

“Spotify has a responsibility to censor the spread of misinformation on its platform”

“Spotify has a responsibility to suppress the spread of misinformation on its platform”

Do those three statements all mean different things to you?

Young is not censoring Rogan. Young doesn’t have that power.
He asking Spotify to do it. That was the point of him making the request public. To pressure them to do what he cannot.

“Spotify has a responsibility to [censor] the spread of misinformation on its platform”

He asking Spotify to do it. That was the point of him making the request public. To pressure them to do what he cannot.

“Spotify has a responsibility to [censor] the spread of misinformation on its platform”
270 scientists and physicians have implored Spotify to do the same.

Young is making a business proposition to Spotify based on personal beliefs. This happens a lot.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
Most monthly users as of this week for musical artists - Young has 6 mil which is nothing to sneeze at. Pearl Jam as 10 mil and Nirvana has 20 m.

RankArtistMonthly listeners
(millions)
ChgRef(s)
Increase
[1]
Decrease
[2]
Steady
[3]
Steady
[4]
Increase
[5]
Increase
[6]
Decrease
[7]
Increase
[8]
Increase
[9]
Increase
[10]
Increase
[11]
Decrease
[12]
Steady
[13]
Steady
[14]
Steady
[15]
Steady
[16]
Steady
[17]
Steady
[18]
Steady
[19]
Steady
[20]

“Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform”

“Spotify has a responsibility to censor the spread of misinformation on its platform”

“Spotify has a responsibility to suppress the spread of misinformation on its platform”

Do those three statements all mean different things to you?
Exhibit A on euphemistic diversion.

You're making things up that were never said.

mitigation does not equal censorship
mitigation does not equal suppression.

Thank you for showing basis, but in doing so you proved my point.

Exhibit A on euphemistic diversion.

You're making things up that were never said.

mitigation does not equal censorship
mitigation does not equal suppression.

Thank you for showing basis, but in doing so you proved my point.
I asked, what is the difference in those three statements.
We know the context.
So what is the difference in your view in asking Spotify to ‘mitigate’ a viewpoint or to ‘censor’.
What does it mean?

I am waiting for someone to sue for causing the death of love one for refusing to take a vaccine due to listening to one these looney toons individual. This is the quickest way to cause change, and honestly I am surprised this hasn't occurred yet.

I am waiting for someone to sue for causing the death of love one for refusing to take a vaccine due to listening to one these looney toons individual. This is the quickest way to cause change, and honestly I am surprised this hasn't occurred yet.
I believe @GOHOX69 has legal training.

This may be a faster path to riches than the lab and patent monopolies!

Is this paydirt?

I’m asking you, in this context, how do those three statements differ.

What do you think Young means by ‘mitigate’?
It's hard for me to guess what he was thinking.

He cited Spotify for not having a misinformation policy, so I'm guessing in this context he means the company should create a policy as a tool for mitigation.

Really? Did you grow up thinking Neil is some sort of republican?
Do you think Joe Rogan is some sort of Republican?

It isn’t about Democrat or Republican. It’s about the government and the media being in the pocket of the pharmaceutical companies. Neil Young, counter-culture icon, has sided with the establishment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT