ADVERTISEMENT

Neil Young tells Spotify to choose between him and Joe Rogan.

Who stated Young was acting collectively?
The “collective” thing was your straw man.
An effort need not be ‘collectively’ undertaken to be a call for censorship.

He said more than that, though. He said why, and provided an ultimatum.
He wants Spotify to suppress Rogan’s communication.
You can’t just disappear that part of his demand because it blows up your argument.
He has said why he wants him censored. We don’t have to guess.

What should we call wanting someone else’s communications suppressed because we disagree with the content of the message? Does our language have a word for this?
Yeah "not putting up with someone's bullshit"

Many of us have demonstrated this concept in this thread responding to you.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkman34
Yes, the basis for censorship is trying to suppress someone else from communicating information you don’t want them to.

What part about that is confusing?

I’m still curious what difference you see in these three statements:

“Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform”

“Spotify has a responsibility to censor the spread of misinformation on its platform”

“Spotify has a responsibility to suppress the spread of misinformation on its platform”

Do those three statements all mean different things to you?
Mitigate and censor do not mean the same thing. Suppression and mitigate don't mean the same thing.

Do you understand these terms to be interchangeable?

Reactions: mstp1992
Who stated Young was acting collectively?
The “collective” thing was your straw man.
An effort need not be ‘collectively’ undertaken to be a call for censorship.

He said more than that, though. He said why, and provided an ultimatum.
He wants Spotify to suppress Rogan’s communication.
You can’t just disappear that part of his demand because it blows up your argument.
He has said why he wants him censored. We don’t have to guess.

What should we call wanting someone else’s communications suppressed because we disagree with the content of the message? Does our language have a word for this?

LOL...he told Spotify they were providing a platform for lies and he wasn't going to play if they continued. That is NOT censorship under ANY definition. Spotify is within their rights to continue to allow Rogan to spread falsehoods - and they have chosen to do so - and Young is free to take his music off their playlist - and he has. So...Spotify censored Young? smh

It is interesting question. I think Rogan is an idiot and I also think media platforms have a duty to stop the spread of disinformation. But I also think a platform like Spotify can't get into a slippery slope where various content providers are threatening to leave over other folks on platform. It sets a very bad precedent. The adult way is for they themselves to do some policing. But we have a very large swath of irresponsible internet platforms that really don't want to do this because inevitably it leads to less profit as a group of viewers/listeners leave out of anger.

Looks like it. Brought attention to a platform which values dollars over spreading lies and disinformation. Good for him.
With over 380 million users, I think it already has the world's attention. People have grown to expect large corporations to have questionable ethics. He brought more attention to himself than Spotify. Good on him though.

LOL...he told Spotify they were providing a platform for lies and he wasn't going to play if they continued. That is NOT censorship under ANY definition. Spotify is within their rights to continue to allow Rogan to spread falsehoods - and they have chosen to do so - and Young is free to take his music off their playlist - and he has. So...Spotify censored Young? smh
In the end- nobody was censored but NYs intention was censorship. His ultimate goal was to stay on Spotify and kick JR off.

He is an otherwise intelligent and entertaining person. Too bad he is brainwashed on this issue.
I agree. I use to listen to a lot more episodes than I do now. I really don’t give a damn if people get vaccinated or not but I am tired of the discussion.

some of his episodes with directors, mountain climbers, and actors are very interesting. But I am tired of listen to Covid crap, there really isn’t much more to discuss IMO.

lucky if I listen to one episode a week at this point.

You're probably correct. I doubt Young thought his value to Spotify approached Rogan's. But imagine if more artists followed suit. Spotify might actually have to moderate what goes out over it's platform.
You’re special.
Someone writes, “In the end- nobody was censored but NYs intention was censorship.
And you not only acknowledge that’s correct, but close by hoping they ‘moderate what goes out’.
If that doesn’t entail censoring objectionable content, what does it mean?

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
I agree. I use to listen to a lot more episodes than I do now. I really don’t give a damn if people get vaccinated or not but I am tired of the discussion.

some of his episodes with directors, mountain climbers, and actors are very interesting. But I am tired of listen to Covid crap, there really isn’t much more to discuss IMO.

lucky if I listen to one episode a week at this point.

I think he "over corrected" when he was "attacked" by CNN, and now he's obsessed with being correct on this issue.

He would be wise to just move on from the vaccine/covid talk and go back to his regular stuff.

He has stated that numerous times. To not know that is a dead giveaway that you don’t listen to his show yet feel correct in having opinions about it.

He is even a fan of UBI which is a joke.
Just pointing out that "he's a right wing nut job" narrative that some in the media are going with is incorrect.

I've only listened to Rogan a few times...listened to his Andrew Yang interview which was very good. His podcasts are just too damned long :)

Say what you want about Rogan....he has conversations with folks with different opinions than his...which is getting rarer nowadays.

I haven't offered many opinions about his show except "if you don't like it...don't listen" and the ones in this post.

Reactions: TylerJ76
What is he demanding?

I see him asking Spotify to censor Rogan “or” he will remove his music.

I agree he should be not do business with Spotify if he doesn’t want to (I have no idea what his contract is).
But I don’t agree with him trying to leverage his catalog to censor someone he disagrees with.
Which is EXACTLY what he is doing. I like many Neil Young songs, but that dude ain't right in the head. And old Neil has been making music for over half a century, if people haven't acquired it in that timeframe from some other source than Spotify, well they're idiots.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
You’re special.
Someone writes, “In the end- nobody was censored but NYs intention was censorship.
And you not only acknowledge that’s correct, but close by hoping they ‘moderate what goes out’.
If that doesn’t entail censoring objectionable content, what does it mean?
LOL...you might want to read my post again...here you go:

You're probably correct. I doubt Young thought his value to Spotify approached Rogan's. But imagine if more artists followed suit. Spotify might actually have to moderate what goes out over it's platform.

They don't have to "censor" Rogan to moderate his content. You've gone full TJ here defining words the way you want. The two of you on opposite sides would create a thread that would fracture the Earth's crust. You're wrong. I'm out.

How's about Spotify actually follow their effing policies as stated? They should direct Rogan to stop with the deliberate misinformation surrounding the pandemic or they won't air them, there's plenty of other topics to entertain people with.

How's about Spotify actually follow their effing policies as stated? They should direct Rogan to stop with the deliberate misinformation surrounding the pandemic or they won't air them, there's plenty of other topics to entertain people with.

What makes you think that Spotify has the ability or desire to become the arbiter of misinformation?...

They don't have to "censor" Rogan to moderate his content.
Can you tell me what you mean by ‘moderate his content’?

Would that be suppressing the content that was objectionable?

Or does it mean something totally different. Like opposite side of the world from that.

Can you tell me what you mean by ‘moderate his content’?

Would that be suppressing the content that was objectionable?

Or does it mean something totally different. Like opposite side of the world from that.
Hey, the left thinks censuring speech is great when they disagree with it. The 1st Amendment is for chumps, 2nd Amendment is for rednecks and losers. And yet they hypocritically claim the conservatives want to destroy the Constitution and democracy.

What makes you think that Spotify has the ability or desire to become the arbiter of misinformation?...
Cut from Post #208 ITT, from the horse's mouth:

Spotify prohibits content on the platform which promotes dangerous false, deceptive, or misleading content about Covid-19 that may cause offline harm and/or pose a direct threat to public health. When content that violates this standard is identified it is removed from the platform.

Cut from Post #208 ITT, from the horse's mouth:

Spotify prohibits content on the platform which promotes dangerous false, deceptive, or misleading content about Covid-19 that may cause offline harm and/or pose a direct threat to public health. When content that violates this standard is identified it is removed from the platform.

We also have federal laws that prohibit the use of marijuana,.. talking the talk is not walking the walk.

ADVERTISEMENT