ADVERTISEMENT

Neil Young tells Spotify to choose between him and Joe Rogan.

I think he "over corrected" when he was "attacked" by CNN, and now he's obsessed with being correct on this issue.

He would be wise to just move on from the vaccine/covid talk and go back to his regular stuff.
****ing this... give me another 3 hours discussing straight physics with Brian Greene type of stuff w/out derailing the conversation into beaten to death covid talk.

The more I’ve thought about this, the more I admire Neil for deciding who he does and doesn’t want to be sitting next to on the shelf. This is America, put your money where your mouth is. He’s going to take a hit on this, but generally speaking, I think media should market-regulated, not government-regulated and he is pulling out of that particular part of the market.

The more I’ve thought about this, the more I admire Neil for deciding who he does and doesn’t want to be sitting next to on the shelf. This is America, put your money where your mouth is. He’s going to take a hit on this, but generally speaking, I think media should market-regulated, not government-regulated and he is pulling out of that particular part of the market.
He’s not going to take a hit but going to make more money. He is getting streamed more on other platforms than he ever has. Huge swaths of young people who don’t know who he is are checking him out.

If you refuse to support an enterprise that is doing something you disagree with...that ain't censorship under any definition.

Young says Spotify can't make money from his work if they continue to broadcast Rogan. That's Young's freedom at work. Same as yours.
I'm asking Rivals to ban you. I don't want people to listen to the words coming out of your mouth, because me and 50% of the people I know disagree with you.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
He’s not going to take a hit but going to make more money. He is getting streamed more on other platforms than he ever has. Huge swaths of young people who don’t know who he is are checking him out.
You mean Joe Rogan is getting more hits... No 20 year old is looking up Neil Old to check his music out. Are you dumb?

I love Spotify. Been thinking about switching to another service because they keep raising rates but have just been lazy about it. I don't listen to either one of these guys but checking out the other services anyway.

I use Spotify Free to listen to Joe Rogan only.

Apple Music is superior, and Apple Podcasts works well for me.
I can’t think of a single podcast I’ve ever listened to. I use Pandora for music just to have in the background. But, I’m not sure there’s anyone who interests me enough to listen to them talk outside of a conference setting. Rogan, especially, doesn’t interest me just from what I’ve read about him.

Reactions: franklinman
I can’t think of a single podcast I’ve ever listened to. I use Pandora for music just to have in the background. But, I’m not sure there’s anyone who interests me enough to listen to them talk outside of a conference setting. Rogan, especially, doesn’t interest me just from what I’ve read about him.

Cool?

Reactions: mstp1992
Bold the part of your response you think answers the question:

What is censorship?

You talked about your view of Young’s demand, but you didn’t tell me what you think censorship is.

Censorship is when someone in power forbids another from expressing themselves in a manner of their choice. Young asked Spotify to make a business decision - Rogan’s podcast or his music. His hope was that Spotify would make an ethical choice, not a financial one.

But he had no power or even leverage to force Spotify to remove Rogan. Which is why it took Spotify about three seconds to dump Young.

WTF podcast is great. He has fantastic guests, and his long format gives them a chance to open up about their lives and careers in ways we would never have seen before.

I also enjoy a couple of college wrestling podcasts. Podcasts are great for road trips. Music is great for a trip to the grocery store.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear Joe Rogan's name are those people eating those damn cockroaches.

I always associate him with Fear Factor too. I love when Chappelle Show did a skit with Tyrell Biggums

dikUYdk2zQ9rtQRgx2F4mGR69WPbd1NcKEC6dB-TwwmF5WobjT6Q3LdHEEONF62KmVUkpA183LUi-uUboza4zCiImpSLNAztzpYTtEi2ilaKgpIHUmO_7lPu-UuByTUKYZfDkKVpk-8l8Khmbs7uLf0C3AdG

Censorship is when someone in power forbids another from expressing themselves in a manner of their choice. Young asked Spotify to make a business decision - Rogan’s podcast or his music. His hope was that Spotify would make an ethical choice, not a financial one.
Censorship is when someone tries to suppress communication because they find the content of the communication objectionable.

Whether they have the power to achieve their censorship goals is separate from whether or not their goal is censorship.

But he had no power or even leverage to force Spotify to remove Rogan. Which is why it took Spotify about three seconds to dump Young.
His catalogue was his leverage, we just agree it wasn’t much leverage.
He has the desire to censor, he just lacks the power. That doesn’t alter the nature of what he’s trying to accomplish, suppressing a communication he finds objectionable.

Censorship is when someone tries to suppress communication because they find the content of the communication objectionable.

Whether they have the power to achieve their censorship goals is separate from whether or not their goal is censorship.

He has the desire to censor, he just lacks the power. That doesn’t alter the nature of what he’s trying to accomplish, suppressing a communication he finds objectionable.
Wrong. It was a business decision. Young even came out and said this was anything but censorship. He’s against censorship. It was strictly a move made based on his unwillingness to be associated with a media platform that is associated with Rogan.

It was not about censorship. Never was.

Can you tell me what you mean by ‘moderate his content’?

Would that be suppressing the content that was objectionable?

Or does it mean something totally different. Like opposite side of the world from that.
You're kidding, right? HROT is moderated you know. Some of it is automatic. Try posting the racist epithet for black people - it starts with an "n" and ends with "er". Tell me how far you get. They even have people called *gasp* moderators.

You're looking dumber and dumber. I'll give you the same advice I give TJ when he goes off the rails. Stop. Now.

I'm asking Rivals to ban you. I don't want people to listen to the words coming out of your mouth, because me and 50% of the people I know disagree with you.
Go right ahead. You're free to do so. Were I to post in a way that violated their terms of service, you might get your way. They do moderate the content of this board in case you were unaware. Are you that ignorant?

But that's not what Young is doing...he's telling "HROT" that if they allow ME to post, HE"S not going to participate. PLEASE feel free to follow his example. It would be addition by subtraction.

Never heard Joe Rogan.
You might be accused of having a closed mind for not wanting to watch/listen a 50 year old pothead with minimal formal education react to youtube videos and have a conversation with someone that takes 3 hours and often goes nowhere because the host hasn't actually done much preparation (this latter part is actually sold as a feature rather than a critique).

Okay, word definitions didn’t get handed down on a stone tablet. Censorship is traditionally associated with government suppressing, but if you want to broaden it for your purposes, feel free. Perhaps the discussion should be on whether Young’s position is a correct one - that Spotify should not allow itself to be a platform for dangerously false information.

Or do you consider any version of “censorship” to be wrong?

Okay, word definitions didn’t get handed down on a stone tablet. Censorship is traditionally associated with government suppressing, but if you want to broaden it for your purposes, feel free. Perhaps the discussion should be on whether Young’s position is a correct one - that Spotify should not allow itself to be a platform for dangerously false information.

Or do you consider any version of “censorship” to be wrong?
If Neil Young owned Spotify and banned Joe Rogan from his service then there might be an argument that it’s censorship. But this is entirely different. Young is simply telling Spotify that he doesn’t want them distributing his music if they are also going to distribute Rogan’s podcast. It’s a business decision based on his morals. It’s not even close to censorship.

ADVERTISEMENT