ADVERTISEMENT

Nelson Brands

Grip220

HR Heisman
Mar 23, 2014
Babylonia parts unknown
Just read he will(may) have Tommy John surgery on his elbow.
I’m wondering if this is from constant hard snaps or more from one particular match injury.
This sucks, but better now when Kem will be back then happening the next few seasons. It’s going to be a tough surgery to come back 100% from also.

edit: this info was from a post made by Obsessed wrestler and I do not know who this is or if this info is accurate.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Just read he will have Tommy John surgery on his elbow.
I’m wondering if this is from constant hard snaps or more from one particular match injury.
This sucks, but better now when Kem will be back then happening the next few seasons. It’s going to be a tough surgery to come back 100% from also.
Actually, pitchers that have Tommy John surgery come back stronger than before. While this is ridiculous, some fanatics were actually having it done before there was a problem. Of course, it all depends on the level of rehab work done, but I doubt that will be an issue here.

Just read he will have Tommy John surgery on his elbow.
Read from Mineo or another source?

Reactions: TarpHawk
Actually, pitchers that have Tommy John surgery come back stronger than before. While this is ridiculous, some fanatics were actually having it done before there was a problem. Of course, it all depends on the level of rehab work done, but I doubt that will be an issue here.
My nephew was a HS/College pitcher and had the surgery, he never pitched another game.
I know these surgery’s have gotten better and each case is different, his was severe.

I hope what I read was BS, but if true good that he is getting it now.

how about this theory

brands is going back up to 184 now to compete for that spot with Kemerer’s return coming soon. perhaps kemerer’s return truly was up in the air for awhile so nelson was insurance. swafford gets offered the opportunity to run out the carver tunnel a couple times for big ten duals so it’s worth it for him to pull the redshirt.

My nephew was a HS/College pitcher and had the surgery, he never pitched another game.
I know these surgery’s have gotten better and each case is different, his was severe.

important to distinguish between "athlete recovering from tommy john" and "mlb pitcher recovering from tommy john." that's a big difference. nelson doesn't need to maintain a 2500 rpm slider. even within baseball the difference is stark. corey seager had to have tommy john. he came back just fine and landed himself a $325 million contract.

Reactions: Exo and GoHawks1996

A pitcher’s THROWING arm is a big deal. But I’m hoping you knew that already.

important to distinguish between "athlete recovering from tommy john" and "mlb pitcher recovering from tommy john." that's a big difference. nelson doesn't need to maintain a 2500 rpm slider. even within baseball the difference is stark. corey seager had to have tommy john. he came back just fine and landed himself a $325 million contract.
Yeah I got you, but the rigors of an elbow of a D1 wrestler I would put against any level of baseball.

how about this theory

brands is going back up to 184 now to compete for that spot with Kemerer’s return coming soon. perhaps kemerer’s return truly was up in the air for awhile so nelson was insurance. swafford gets offered the opportunity to run out the carver tunnel a couple times for big ten duals so it’s worth it for him to pull the redshirt.
I think Nelson is done at 184 unless absolutely necessary.

The occasional violent action - probably true. The continual stress the elbow receives when throwing a baseball several hundred times a day - no.
Agreed, and a Elbow is a whole lot different than a knee.
I have had 4 elbow surgeries for a dislocation during wrestling, not Tommy John surgery though.
I can tell you from experience, the elbow is a lot worse than a knee and the elbow is never the same

how about this theory

I sure hope so

Yeah I got you, but the rigors of an elbow of a D1 wrestler I would put against any level of baseball.
I disagree that the rigors of wrestling on an elbow are the same than a baseball pitcher, who relies on that elbow to perform at peak ability every.single.pitch.

PS Gobblin: Might have to rethink your “like.” I ‘splained myself ass backward the first time. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Gobblin
I disagree that the rigors of wrestling on an elbow are different than a baseball pitcher, who relies on that elbow to perform at peak ability every.single.pitch.
I get your point, but i’ve had a full dislocation of my elbow while wrestling, did that ever happen to a baseball pitcher. Also know if several other wrestlers With severe elbow injury’s

Agreed, and a Elbow is a whole lot different than a knee.
I have had 4 elbow surgeries for a dislocation during wrestling, not Tommy John surgery though.
I can tell you from experience, the elbow is a lot worse than a knee and the elbow is never the same
If you've never had Tommy John surgery I'm not sure your experience holds much value here.

I get your point, but i’ve had a full dislocation of my elbow while wrestling, did that ever happen to a baseball pitcher. Also know if several other wrestlers With severe elbow injury’s
Do you want to fight? I’ll beat on you with my bad elbow.

• Haha
Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I get your point, but i’ve had a full dislocation of my elbow while wrestling, did that ever happen to a baseball pitcher.
Dave Dravecky says hello :) Not the elbow I know and I'm jesting. For those who don't know, his arm snapped while pitching and flopped around like mine does when it "falls asleep" during the night.

So it's not an official announcement, or information from a verified source? Just more rumor? Why start a new thread about an existing rumor and pass it off as fact?
Who passed it off as fact, I clearly stated I just read this and was not sure of the source! Also I started the thread because it’s a Iowa wrestling board and I’m a Iowa Fan that wants to know more about this Iowa wrestler.

This statement is misleading. SOME pitchers, or perhaps even many pitchers, come back stronger. But there's a meaningful contingent that are never the same. Be it due to their injury, the success of the surgery, their training, their rehab, whatever.

This statement is misleading. SOME pitchers, or perhaps even many pitchers, come back stronger. But there's a meaningful contingent that are never the same. Be it due to their injury, the success of the surgery, their training, their rehab, whatever.
Modern TJS gives players an 85-90% chance of returning to the majors. Pitchers typically need about 15-18 months to get back to form while position players can be back in 6 months.

Last edited:
Sorry - I left off the word many or can. I'll make sure to check your wordsmithing in the future to make sure there are no gray areas left for common sense interpretation. And to correct you, the first sentence, not "this statement can be viewed as misleading. The other two are not. They are in fact accurate. I guess an 80% to 90% success rate is not a good thing?

Reactions: Grip220 and el dub
We are all huge wrestling fans and the stress on shoulders, elbows, knees, necks, ears, etc are all extreme. Collectively more trauma than any other sport I am certain. But elbow to elbow, a baseball pitcher stress to the elbow is second to no sport.

Sorry - I left off the word many or can. I'll make sure to check your wordsmithing in the future to make sure there are no gray areas left for common sense interpretation. And to correct you, the first sentence, not "this statement can be viewed as misleading. The other two are not. They are in fact accurate. I guess an 80% to 90% success rate is not a good thing?

Sorry, my friend. It wasn't about leaving out a word. I disagree with you that it's that high of a rate. I think easily that many end up back on the mound but those who come back stronger is a lower percentage. Maybe half or less. Was but a quibble--just something to discuss. Carry on.

Sorry, my friend. It wasn't about leaving out a word. I disagree with you that it's that high of a rate. I think easily that many end up back on the mound but those who come back stronger is a lower percentage. Maybe half or less. Was but a quibble--just something to discuss. Carry on.
Look it up based on current procedures then get back to me - fair enough? The elbow/shoulder was not meant to throw a baseball overhand. Not a natural motion. Will it automatically make you better, of course not. But the fact is it does stabilize the ligament and the rehab needed is likely just as important to the success rate.

Look it up based on current procedures then get back to me - fair enough? The elbow/shoulder was not meant to throw a baseball overhand. Not a natural motion. Will it automatically make you better, of course not. But the fact is it does stabilize the ligament and the rehab needed is likely just as important to the success rate.
It's true, I threw underhand playing SS for 3 years in high-school to keep my body healthy, psychologically I've never recovered though. What really made it tough was that was right about the time I heard suppositories were healthier than taking pills orally so while I stayed true to being as healthy as I could be I struggled to go a day without being pelted by water balloons full of piss.

I hate that this became a baseball injury discussion, I could care less about baseball or basketball for that matter.
I know my elbow hurts still 25years and 4 surgeries later and I’m really pissed when I’m fishing and it’s hurts!
My hope is that “if” Nelson needs surgery it will be something he comes back stronger and can still utilize those tremendous hard snaps the way he has.

Last edited:
I hate that this became a baseball injury discussion, I could care less about baseball or basketball for that matter.
I know my elbow hurts still 25years and 4 surgeries later and I’m really pissed when I’m fishing and it’s hurts!
My hope is that “if” Nelson needs surgery it will be something he comes back stronger and can still utilize those tremendous hard snaps the way he has.
Just when has anything lasted more than 10 comments before it was derailed?

ADVERTISEMENT