ADVERTISEMENT

Nelson Brands

Sorry - I left off the word many or can. I'll make sure to check your wordsmithing in the future to make sure there are no gray areas left for common sense interpretation. And to correct you, the first sentence, not "this statement can be viewed as misleading. The other two are not. They are in fact accurate. I guess an 80% to 90% success rate is not a good thing?
It is 83% or nothing!!

Regarding the MLB pitchers, it’s correct that most do return stronger. That said it’s a 16 month recovery. Pitchers that get Tommy John miss the remainder of the season the injury occurs and the entire next season unless it happens early and they return in September of following year.

Reactions: Gobblin
Yeah I got you, but the rigors of an elbow of a D1 wrestler I would put against any level of baseball.
Hey Grip, I didn’t wrestle at DI level, but I did wrestle and pitch in HS…Pitching (especially if you throw a lot of junk) is way harder on the elbow…The next day, I often couldn’t lift that arm to even scratch my head (I would have to take my glove off to use my left hand). Never experienced anything like that in wrestling.

Just an anecdote about routine work — not an acute injury. Luckily, I never tore anything serious.

Reactions: el dub
I wrestled and played baseball, obviously the cardio demands of wrestling far exceed that of baseball. As slush said, the physical demands on the elbow for a pitcher repeatedly throwing a ball with that type of force isn’t something that is replicated in wrestling. It’s why it takes a pitcher so long to come back from TJS, and position players and other athletes rehab time is so much quicker.

Reactions: slushhead
Can somebody explain this to me like I’m 5,
how important are your elbows in wrestling?

• Haha
Reactions: pml_dad
Hey Grip, I didn’t wrestle at DI level, but I did wrestle and pitch in HS…Pitching (especially if you throw a lot of junk) is way harder on the elbow…The next day, I often couldn’t lift that arm to even scratch my head (I would have to take my glove off to use my left hand). Never experienced anything like that in wrestling.

Just an anecdote about routine work — not an acute injury. Luckily, I never tore anything serious.
I pitched in a slow pitch softball coed summer league near the beach and my arm never hurt.

I’m sorry slushy I did not know how to respond.

Pitching is brutal on your elbow and shoulder. As someone else said, the human body was not designed to hurl a baseball through the air at 90 mph. Injury for a professional pitcher isn't an if, it is a when and where. That is the reason for all the pitching rules in youth and high school baseball. Most coaches now try to teach techniques in pitching and throwing to minimize the stress on the elbow and shoulder, but it is inevitable eventually.

Man I love the Cesspool. Always entertaining. Does Ironside sell "Cesspool Member" t-shirts? If so, please buy and wear to all home meets so I can identify you on BTN (I rarely get to CHA). I'm dying to get a mental image of what a cesspool team photo looks like. Maybe like a circus photo?

Sad to hear. Injuries suck. Hoping all recover to 100%. No more injuries....to any wrestler. That is an order!

Force = Mass x acceleration. Pitchers accelerate hence the UCL injury not common in wrestlers. Think of and AR -15 Nato 556 vs .45 acp. I dont want to be hit by either.

TJS works very well in an isolated UCL tear/strain but often there is a secondary problem like osteonecrosis osteochondtitis of capitellum or radial head from prior subluxation.

Getting old sucks but it is better than the alternative.

Man I love the Cesspool. Always entertaining. Does Ironside sell "Cesspool Member" t-shirts? If so, please buy and wear to all home meets so I can identify you on BTN (I rarely get to CHA). I'm dying to get a mental image of what a cesspool team photo looks like. Maybe like a circus photo?
I know Mark well..... I can assure you he’s not a fan of internet message boards..... so I wouldn’t hold your breath 😂

ADVERTISEMENT