ADVERTISEMENT

Nelson going forward

so cal hawkfan

HR All-American
Jun 5, 2012
Whittier CA
Obviously Nelson had a great tournament going 7-1 and finishing a strong, respectable 3rd. This is probably the highest his stock has been ( those in the know, correct me if that’s not accurate). With the way he competed it got me thinking that depending where he goes weight wise ( obviously) after a redshirt year in18-19, he could have a realistic shot at starting at 157. We’re assuming Young is able to get his weight down this year and compete well at 157 and then do it again in 19-20.

I read some guys saying they thought Brands looked bigger. I thought a lot of his opponents actually looked like they had some size on him. As 165 appears to be locked up for the next 3 years and 174 the next two, is 157 the best option for Nelson to start for the Hawks? Is Nelson the best 157 option going forward?

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Would love to see him grayshirt, ( not a full time student) or go to the OTC for a year and then redshirt. 2 years from now he could be one of the top kids in that class. Let us not forget that he is 7 years behind alot of these kids in the length of his career at this point. He has made great leaps in the last couple years but the sky is the limit if these next 2 years are spent correctly. This would also extend his career by a year as the starter.

57/65. Alex Meyer type career.
I love Alex Meyer and think the world of him on and off the mat. Nothing but respect for Alex, and he’ll be a successful orthopedic surgeon some day. Incredibly bright future ahead for that kid.

That said, I expect Nelson to earn considerably higher accolades in his college career than Alex did.

Last edited:
I love Alex Meyer and think the world of him in and off the mat. Nothing but respect for Alex, and he’ll be a successful orthopedic surgeon some day. Incredibly bright future ahead for that kid.

That said, I expect Nelson to earn considerably higher accolades in his college career than Alex did.

He has a lot to work on technique wise before I would say that. His high school attack style will be countered with the big boys. Can’t wait to see what he becomes. Like I said before four years ago you wouldn’t know he was brands.

Reactions: el dub
Need to see how he fares after a year in the room. He's the type that could make a quantum leap forward in ability. Happened twice before with his father and uncle.
I love Alex Meyer and think the world of him in and off the mat. Nothing but respect for Alex, and he’ll be a successful orthopedic surgeon some day. Incredibly bright future ahead for that kid.

I hope so, but I don't see him as a full time starter til his JR year unless he takes a GS.

I hope Nelson doesn’t generate the extreme highs and lows that Meyer did. Wins over Mark Hall, Ethan Ramos and Chandler Rogers and Losses to Gordon Wolf and Walters from Ohio with only 1 8th place AA. I hope as others have said he steadily improves and can contribute to future Hawk titles.

I hope Nelson doesn’t generate the extreme highs and lows that Meyer did. Wins over Mark Hall, Ethan Ramos and Chandler Rogers and Losses to Gordon Wolf and Walters from Ohio with only 1 8th place AA. I hope as others have said he steadily improves and can contribute to future Hawk titles.

I practiced/“played” baseball for two years at Iowa, never played a game but got a degree from the U of IA. Basically didn’t improve from my last day of high school:) - I’d say that 1 AA is pretty damn special to him.

Last edited:
I don’t know why anyone is comparing Alex Meyer and Nelson besides the similarities in appearances and size there wrestling is extremely different. From my prospective Nelson has a large upside besides his skill set, his body shape long arms and longer legs than Expected from his father’s genes. I think if he wants it and his focus and drive is there he could be an multiple AA and Ncaa champ

I don’t know why anyone is comparing Alex Meyer and Nelson besides the similarities in appearances and size there wrestling is extremely different. From my prospective Nelson has a large upside besides his skill set, his body shape long arms and longer legs than Expected from his father’s genes. I think if he wants it and his focus and drive is there he could be an multiple AA and Ncaa champ

This is a good post.

Reactions: Grip220

Have you stood next to Meyer? Meyer was a monster 174 imo. Brands is 149/157 currently in college setting. I don’t see him growing much in height going forward.

Have you stood next to Meyer? Meyer was a monster 174 imo. Brands is 149/157 currently in college setting. I don’t see him growing much in height going forward.

This is where I would normally comment that I love this board but I wouldn't want Grip220 to lose his mind again.

I practiced/“played” baseball for two years at Iowa, never played a game but got a degree from the U of IA. Basically didn’t improve from my last day of high school:) - I’d say that 1 AA is pretty damn special to him.
this sums up my wrestling career at Iowa as well brother.....Couldn't have found better words myself haha!

Brands will continue to get better. I don't see him above 157 unless their is a team need.

We are looking at a multiple AA with a better than average shot to become a national champion.

What we saw last week (3rd place) tells everyone what they need to know about Nelson Brands.

Literally has wrestled 60% less matches than any of his future competitors. He is fresh, he has great upside and has the unfinished business mentality.

Brands will continue to get better. I don't see him above 157 unless their is a team need.

We are looking at a multiple AA with a better than average shot to become a national champion.

What we saw last week (3rd place) tells everyone what they need to know about Nelson Brands.

Literally has wrestled 60% less matches than any of his future competitors. He is fresh, he has great upside and has the unfinished business mentality.
Carter Happel got third his senior year beating Mitch McKee. I believe Aaron Meyer won Fargo his senior year.

Does anyone on this board believe Nelson will beat out Young for the 157 spot in the next few years? That is if Young can hold the weight.

This is where I have a hard time analyzing Brand's stock. Normally a guy that starts that late and has that much success I would say he is going to be a beast. In the last few years that he has wrestled he has way more access to coaching and partners than almost anyone in the country. Will he continue to make huge strides redshirt year and then beyond? From what I have seen(3rd at Fargo) he needs huge strides to be just competitive. I love Nelson and want to see him do well, but I'm not sold on it yet.

He was giving an opinion on his projection of Brands career in his mind. Solid but not great (Alex Meyer). Has nothing to do with size or style.

He might end up great, he might be good, he might go quietly into the night and have someone we acquire keep him out of the lineup. Time will tell.

Good discussion. From memory, TnT were "strong recruits/good gets" but not considered blue chippers on the national stage. I think Tom may have placed a couple times at Junior Nationals, I can't remember what Terry did at Fargo...or perhaps it was the UNI-Dome back then. They both made tremendous strides while at Iowa. I expect the same with Nelson.

This is where I have a hard time analyzing Brand's stock. Normally a guy that starts that late and has that much success I would say he is going to be a beast. In the last few years that he has wrestled he has way more access to coaching and partners than almost anyone in the country. Will he continue to make huge strides redshirt year and then beyond? From what I have seen(3rd at Fargo) he needs huge strides to be just competitive. I love Nelson and want to see him do well, but I'm not sold on it yet.

I think basically what you're saying is that at some point it is very likely the law of diminishing returns kicks and already has to a certain degree. And I agree, while also believing Nelson can be a multiple NCAA AA at Iowa.

Good discussion. From memory, TnT were "strong recruits/good gets" but not considered blue chippers on the national stage. I think Tom may have placed a couple times at Junior Nationals, I can't remember what Terry did at Fargo...or perhaps it was the UNI-Dome back then. They both made tremendous strides while at Iowa. I expect the same with Nelson.
This is not a "gotchya" post, but Terry was a pretty big recruit. I don't know what he did to get him this ranking.

1986 Asics Tiger High School All-American Team

First Team

98 Todd Williams senior Clearfield HS, PA
105 Terry Brands junior Sheldon HS, IA
112 Andy Radenbaugh senior St. Josephs HS, MI
119 Kurt Howell senior Newark HS, DE
126 Dan Knight junior Clinton HS, IA
132 Laurence Jackson senior Santa Monica HS, CA
138 Eric Pierson senior Oak Grove HS, MO
145 Michael Murdock senior Montrose HS, MI
155 Dan Russell senior Gresham HS, OR
167 Brett Beams senior Shawnee HS, OK
175 Raymond Rosos senior Kelly HS, OK
185 Ben Oberly senior Warren Hills HS< NJ
HWT Trent Barnes senior Clovis West HS, CA

http://content.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=22225

Last edited:

Trust me when I say that Nelson got much better coaching in high school than his father or uncle.

He was giving an opinion on his projection of Brands career in his mind. Solid but not great (Alex Meyer). Has nothing to do with size or style.

He might end up great, he might be good, he might go quietly into the night and have someone we acquire keep him out of the lineup. Time will tell.
Yeah I understand I was not picking on the post I was just offering my opinion on it also

I have alot more faith in Nelson than many and it's not because his name is Brands. I've seen his progress up close and personal and he has never disappointed me. He has a motor and one of the most coachable kids I've been around.
I have a feeling alot of people are going to be taken back with how good he will be...would not surprise me at all if he isn't our starting 157 pounder in 2019-2020 season ...if not sooner!

I have alot more faith in Nelson than many and it's not because his name is Brands. I've seen his progress up close and personal and he has never disappointed me. He has a motor and one of the most coachable kids I've been around.
I have a feeling alot of people are going to be taken back with how good he will be...would not surprise me at all if he isn't our starting 157 pounder in 2019-2020 season ...if not sooner!
See this is what I am talking about a up front and personal view from someone who has first hand knowledge and experience. Glad to hear it

Really good prospect. My eyeballs tell me he'll have to improve a lot on the mat, especially bottom position

How much has he been in the Iowa room wrestling with current Iowa wrestlers, none, a little or a lot? How involved have Tom and Terry been so far in his short career? Who were his training partners at ICW? Obviously Reiland was a good coach, but what about the other factors. Those would help you know how much more improvement there could be.

Only time will tell what he can do..
Myself, I wish him the very best. He has the talent somewhat put because of late start needs to polish it up..Also, he is a young 18 freshman and with his last name I would hope people would be patience with him and not expect the great things to fast or soon.

Only time will tell what he can do..
Myself, I wish him the very best. He has the talent somewhat put because of late start needs to polish it up..Also, he is a young 18 freshman and with his last name I would hope people would be patience with him and not expect the great things to fast or soon.
I think the significance of his name relates to his own mindset much more than it might relate to any given fan’s expectations of him.

I guarantee Nelson plans on winning multiple individual NCAA titles. That expectation of himself will have a lot to do with where he ends up when his career is done. Fans will think what they may, but their expectations will never surpass Nelson’s expectations of himself.

That six inches between his ears is extremely tough, and we all know that mental toughness is a key attribute for any successful wrestler. It’s also the main reason I see him having great success in black and gold.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT