• Net loss

Votes: 40 40.8%
  • Even

Votes: 20 20.4%

• Total voters

ICHawk2440

HR All-State
Oct 27, 2018
It will be interesting to see what type of net gain or loss the portal will be this year. Clearly last year was a net loss. Using recruiting rankings and college statistics to determine outcome will be interesting.
What’s your predictions? **Updated**
Loss:

Keagan Johnson 5.8 4*
Alex Padilla 5.5 3*
Arland Bruce 5.8 4*
Gavin Williams 5.7 3*
Josh Volk 5.7 3*
Gain:
Cade McNamara 5.8 4*

Last edited:
Reactions: Bank of Hawk
It will be interesting to see what type of net gain or loss the portal will be this year. Clearly last year was a net loss. Using recruiting rankings and college statistics to determine outcome will be interesting.
What’s your predictions?
My prediction is that the business of College Football will continue to get shittier until a lot of fans become apathetic. Most will still watch, but we will stop feeling the things we feel about the Hawks that make College Football better than the NFL.

It’s become the haves and have nots. The TVs want the big boys, that is where the money is. We are part of the have nots.

Combined with NIL the portal with immediate play is like NFL free agency cept one year contracts only.
In other words...sheer chaos.
I have been a huge Hawk fan for 60 years but this is destroying my enthusiasm for college sports.
How can one invest in watching the growth and development of individual players and teams with zero certainty that they will be there next year?
They have killed the golden goose.

Combined with NIL the portal with immediate play is like NFL free agency cept one year contracts only.
In other words...sheer chaos.
I have been a huge Hawk fan for 60 years but this is destroying my enthusiasm for college sports.
How can one invest in watching the growth and development of individual players and teams with zero certainty that they will be there next year?
They have killed the golden goose.
Yup. And I believe iowa will only use portal to try and recoup losses ( likely with less talent) as well as use of lower level program players with upside to fill scholarship offer. I’m guessing most schools will struggle and Iowa will have similar results to previous years… but the rich will get richer with talent

It’s become the haves and have nots. The TVs want the big boys, that is where the money is. We are part of the have nots.
Kirk's ongoing offensive incompetence has nothing to do with haves and have nots. Maybe going forward but his offenses sucked long before nil and power conferences

Reactions: littlez
My prediction is that the business of College Football will continue to get shittier until a lot of fans become apathetic. Most will still watch, but we will stop feeling the things we feel about the Hawks that make College Football better than the NFL.
NFL>college

Ferentz is going all in on the portal this year so i definitely see a ner gain
I like your optimism… but the fact of the matter is we have lost two starters for next year as well as a decent back-up(for our standards lately) OL player. I see us gaining a QB better than Padilla, but idk how we can replace the potential KJ had in the portal without serious NIL $$$ that we don’t have. I do think we can gain some OL talent. I see us losing several more good players tho… buckle you seatbelts fellas

I like your optimism… but the fact of the matter is we have lost two starters for next year as well as a decent back-up(for our standards lately) OL player. I see us gaining a QB better than Padilla, but idk how we can replace the potential KJ had in the portal without serious NIL $$$ that we don’t have. I do think we can gain some OL talent. I see us losing several more good players tho… buckle you seatbelts fellas
I sd quite awhile ago we were getting around 7 offensive players thar i know of. I only know of 1 defensive player so far. Ferentz is actually going hard in the portal and ww are getting some really good players. I've been laughed at but it's coming together soon

Who are the two starters? Hopefully not Padilla, and certainly not Volk who was never going to play here anyway. As for Johnson "don't know how we're going to replace his potential", really? The guy made a couple of nice plays last season, and e also dropped a number of catchable balls. This year we got bubkas from the guy, and his "injury". Maybe he becomes a good player, and maybe he's sporadic, but his potential is a mystery at this point.

I sd quite awhile ago we were getting around 7 offensive players thar i know of. I only know of 1 defensive player so far. Ferentz is actually going hard in the portal and ww are getting some really good players. I've been laughed at but it's coming together soon
Got any names of these players??

Who are the two starters? Hopefully not Padilla, and certainly not Volk who was never going to play here anyway. As for Johnson "don't know how we're going to replace his potential", really? The guy made a couple of nice plays last season, and e also dropped a number of catchable balls. This year we got bubkas from the guy, and his "injury". Maybe he becomes a good player, and maybe he's sporadic, but his potential is a mystery at this point.
Padilla and KJ… Padilla would have been starter if he stayed (and we didn’t get a transfer) not saying that’s what I’d choose but it’s the facts he was the QB2 this year. And KJ had tons of potential, that’s my belief and I saw some great plays by the freshman. I definitely think he would have started if healthy. Shoot Charlie Jones didn’t start for us and look at what he did in the right offense. KJ will do good somewhere if he stays healthy. And Volk was likely a back up next year but we can replace him easy in portal I’m sure

Padilla and KJ… Padilla would have been starter if he stayed (and we didn’t get a transfer) not saying that’s what I’d choose but it’s the facts he was the QB2 this year. And KJ had tons of potential, that’s my belief and I saw some great plays by the freshman. I definitely think he would have started if healthy. Shoot Charlie Jones didn’t start for us and look at what he did in the right offense. KJ will do good somewhere if he stays healthy. And Volk was likely a back up next year but we can replace him easy in portal I’m sure
Maybe. I think there's a pretty good chance that Padilla would NOT be starting next season, which is one reason he bolted. With KJ, hell I don't know. Like I said, he made a couple of plays last year, and he dropped some balls. Certainly this was supposed to be his coming out party this season, and he played like 4 or 5 snaps. Didn't play in the bowl. Injured, yea maybe. Smoke all year about him sitting and leaving, and now thats exactly what happened, so good luck to him.

I guarantee that if Nico Ragaini grew up in Deerfield and played youth sports with AO like Charlie did he would have gotten 10 targets a game as well.

Reactions: Symbiosis
Before everyone complains about Iowa having so many enter the transfer portal, Alabama already has seven in it. It's just a fact of life in the new NCAA.
Yeah, but take a look at the players Bama got out of the portal last year. It’s like a mini all star team.

Players leaving Bama are mostly ones that aren’t good enough to play there

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
I guarantee that if Nico Ragaini grew up in Deerfield and played youth sports with AO like Charlie did he would have gotten 10 targets a game as well.
While I don’t disagree, would he have done as well? Certainly got more opportunity at iowa than Jones… also, doesn’t matter what we think… recruits/portal targets don’t see jones blowing up at Purdue as anything but a negative for iowa… not to mention the 130th out of 131 offense

Ok, as it stands obviously a net loss. Depending on what ppl are hearing we may see a few guys committing next week. With all the excitement(me included) I think we are forgetting we have to added quite a bit to make up for the losses. One guy doesn’t change the entire offense if people keep leaving and can’t get replaced with as good of players

Gavin Williams leaving is a net gain to the backfield with no portal additions. More carriers for Jaziun.

Reactions: WaterTower
Gavin Williams leaving is a net gain to the backfield with no portal additions. More carriers for Jaziun.
Good point! Addition by substraction. If he could be used correctly in certain spots I’d love to keep him, but if he’s just wasting KaJ Touches I’d agree with you.
But I think for this thread I was looking more at the literal analytics(stars/grading scale) . Will be interesting to see what happens the rest of free agency, I mean, transfer period…

KJ never wanted to be here.
Volk will fit much better at UNI
I wish the others would of hung in there but it’s a new world out there now

What other players do you see us losing? Since GW no one else has declared....

Loss:

Keagan Johnson 5.8 4*
Alex Padilla 5.5 3*
Arland Bruce 5.8 4*
Gavin Williams 5.7 3*
Josh Volk 5.7 3*
Gain:
Cade McNamara 5.8 4*
I feel like we’re at a definite net gain right now based on the above. Bruce was ok, KJ was potential but mostly based on a couple of plays and he might have bailed on his team this year. Williams = 3rd or 4th best back, Padilla??? Volk? McNamara is a proven BIG Championship level QB. You can’t underestimate the importance of this position to an offense. I’ll take it, especially knowing that we are being aggressive in the portal with potentially more to come. What remains to be seen is who else bails…

You said "several more good players", now your saying, a reserve lineman, addition by subtraction. Thats hardly the same thing.......
Arland Bruce transferred after I said that. And that was more a facetious comment about addition by subtraction with the line.(they may not be “good” but we need them..)And I do see some defensive transfers which are good players…. Just not worried about that side as much. Sorry for the confusion

Ok, as it stands obviously a net loss. Depending on what ppl are hearing we may see a few guys committing next week. With all the excitement(me included) I think we are forgetting we have to added quite a bit to make up for the losses. One guy doesn’t change the entire offense if people keep leaving and can’t get replaced with as good of players
Which is nuts and indicated a lot of stupid posters, or trolls. AB couldn’t get open or catch punts…and only perfect passes. KJ had potential, we all saw it, but was hurt too much. The others - wouldn’t play in even our shitty offense.

Many wanted turnover…you’re getting it

I have believed for awhile now that the elite programs who already got the best players will lose the most to the portal as their second and third stringers find greener pastures. It'll all work out.

Which is nuts and indicated a lot of stupid posters, or trolls. AB couldn’t get open or catch punts…and only perfect passes. KJ had potential, we all saw it, but was hurt too much. The others - wouldn’t play in even our shitty offense.

Many wanted turnover…you’re getting it
I think watching the game you thought they (AB)couldn’t get open. In the stadium I saw A LOT of wide open WRs… which may actually make me rethink the net gain aspect… if they were open than cade might alone make it a net gain…

Loss:

Keagan Johnson 5.8 4*
Alex Padilla 5.5 3*
Arland Bruce 5.8 4*
Gavin Williams 5.7 3*
Josh Volk 5.7 3*
Gain:
Cade McNamara 5.8 4*
We won't know if it's a truly a net gain or loss until the transfer portal cycle is done and we see the whole picture. I am quite sure Iowa is going to get more then just Cade. From just what you have listed, Padilla and Volk were not probably going to see the field (no loss). Gavin was down this year to third string (even). Bruce and Keagan could be a loss, however Keagan seems to be hurt more then he plays, and Bruce is good, but more of a complimentary WR IMOP. If we land the Alabama WR, the Stanford RB and grab a couple OL prospects, then I would say the net gain far outweighed the loss.

We won't know if it's a truly a net gain or loss until the transfer portal cycle is done and we see the whole picture. I am quite sure Iowa is going to get more then just Cade. From just what you have listed, Padilla and Volk were not probably going to see the field (no loss). Gavin was down this year to third string (even). Bruce and Keagan could be a loss, however Keagan seems to be hurt more then he plays, and Bruce is good, but more of a complimentary WR IMOP. If we land the Alabama WR, the Stanford RB and grab a couple OL prospects, then I would say the net gain far outweighed the loss.
100% agree. I just meant right now we are at a loss. But I think e actually might have a good gain by next semester, TBD

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Yeah, but take a look at the players Bama got out of the portal last year. It’s like a mini all star team.

Players leaving Bama are mostly ones that aren’t good enough to play there
Bama doesn’t recruit 3 stars.

I have believed for awhile now that the elite programs who already got the best players will lose the most to the portal as their second and third stringers find greener pastures. It'll all work out.

Totally agree with this assessment… yes the big boys will probably be able to reach out and steal about any player they want, but they can’t go after all of them, or even a ton of them.

They will lose more than they gain…And again that doesn’t mean it will make them worse. It just means they’re second and third string players that are all very good. Will exodus out at a higher rate than the 2-5 players they bring in to fill gaps. It might even eventually cause them issues.

Players go there knowing there is a ton of talent but if they wait their turn and they’re good enough, they will get to play, if Bama goes out and finds a college player and recruits over the top of them meaning a really good sophomore, and instead brings in a really good junior… It will cause issues.

But none of the guys we lost were significant contributors or contributed at all this year. I don't think we lost much of anything so I already see it as a net gain.

Reactions: amahawk
Totally agree with this assessment… yes the big boys will probably be able to reach out and steal about any player they want, but they can’t go after all of them, or even a ton of them.

They will lose more than they gain…And again that doesn’t mean it will make them worse. It just means they’re second and third string players that are all very good. Will exodus out at a higher rate than the 2-5 players they bring in to fill gaps. It might even eventually cause them issues.

Players go there knowing there is a ton of talent but if they wait their turn and they’re good enough, they will get to play, if Bama goes out and finds a college player and recruits over the top of them meaning a really good sophomore, and instead brings in a really good junior… It will cause issues.
Which over time will hurt recruiting. I hope anyways…. I like the fill gaps that you have no depth/good recruits with approach.. but if players leave too soon you almost have to portal to fill spots… and if you are going to the portal you might as well go for stars

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT