ADVERTISEMENT

NET rankings....

Sheahawk

HR MVP
Jan 11, 2007
Even though the B1G conference is the best in the country this year, it’s crazy to see 10 teams in the top 35. TIA.....

It makes little to no sense. West Va is .500 in the Big 12 and is ranked 10. OSU is still ahead of us comfortably even after we curb stomped them Thursday night. I know it looks at the entire season but we have as many Quad 1/2 wins as just about any one in the country but are in the mid to high 20's?

Duke lost to NC State by 20 a few days ago. The talk after that shellacking was that Duke was well positioned for a No. 1 seed. LOL

SDSU just lost, so Duke will probably be a 1 seed. They get the benefit of the doubt every time because they're Duke, though. Just like the SEC BS in football.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Its almost impossible, given the strength and parody, for us to secure many top seeds (e.g. 1-3)
It should be the exact opposite.

So because really good teams play other really good teams every night of the week, they’re not considered some of the top really good teams.

It makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheahawk
SDSU just lost, so Duke will probably be a 1 seed. They get the benefit of the doubt every time because they're Duke, though. Just like the SEC BS in football.

Duke is currently #4 in Kenpom. I mean, it's not like they suck and are still ranked 3rd or something. They're really good.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
OSU is still living off those wins over Nova and UNC even though they are a completely different team now....

I'm just hoping we can keep it within 10 at MSU...this is the time of year when Izzo makes his money and I'm afraid another curb stomping will start the death spiral.

We have 2 really bad losses. DePaul and Nebraska are the difference. We would be 21-6 without those losses. The other way to look at it...there aren’t many teams in the top 25 with 8 losses. With a lot of losses to teams ranked ahead of us this week, we are positioned for a decent jump in the AP/Coaches.

For the NET, We would be ranked higher if we beat both DePaul and Nebraska and lost instead to 2 solid teams that we actually beat. It doesn’t make sense. I prefer ESPN’s ranking system much more than the NET.

NET also factors in efficiency metrics. So when we play the occasional no-defense road game like Purdue earlier and give up 104 points and get hammered for no particularly reason, it hurts our ranking more than most losses.

NET also factors in efficiency metrics. So when we play the occasional no-defense road game like Purdue earlier and give up 104 points and get hammered for no particularly reason, it hurts our ranking more than most losses.

KenPom does the same but with much more appropriate formulas.

Yes... lol gophers moved up NINE spots on NET for blowing out NW. Can we please just switch to Kenpom?

IU won by 12 at Minnesota and at home by 8 vs. Penn State this week and they lost ground to Minnesota in the NET rankings due to Minnesota blowing out Northwestern by close to 30 points.

IU is 25 in Sagarin, 36 in Kenpom and 52 in NET. (As an IU fan), I've been looking at it more closely to try to figure out why. I think it is a combination of IU's lack of quad 3 games vs. some of their peers (though they have no 3/4 losses) and a few blowout road losses really holding them back in that formula.

Stanford is another unique case like Minnesota (and Purdue).

Reactions: rendango
Yes... lol gophers moved up NINE spots on NET for blowing out NW. Can we please just switch to Kenpom?
Kenpom has issues as well. In Kenpom, Iowa has the 7th hardest schedule yet teams with easier schedules and worse records are ranked ahead of Iowa, like Texas Tech whom Iowa beat. I don't get it.

Reactions: rendango
My biggest problem with the computer systems is that playing sub 300 teams is an anchor around your ranking. You can certainly argue that we should leave these teams off the schedule but that isn't always possible to predict. I just don't think the competition between 199-360 is really that different but the 300+ just kill your metrics.

Reactions: Aleister_Crowley
ADVERTISEMENT