ADVERTISEMENT

Nevada fans' thoughts on this Saturday's game

fezzador

HR All-American
Sep 12, 2006

I thought they'd be more optimistic than that (the thrashing at the hands of Incarnate Word probably is probably why). The OP is the only one that seems to think the Wolf Pack have a shot at pulling it off, the rest of them would be satisfied if Nevada just covers the (utterly ridiculous) 20+ point spread.

I don't think they quite grasp how bad our offense is. We couldn't move the ball a lick against a South Dakota State team that isn't even anything special by FCS standards (NDSU will school the Jacks this year, I guarantee it) and we couldn't move the ball against an average FBS school in Iowa State. Iowa getting 250 offensive yards against Nevada would be a small miracle.

Yeah, that pretty much makes sense.

They're more concerned with whether they can hang with Iowa (cover the spread) than actually pulling off the upset.

There's ways we could lose, absolutely. But it would again all be about Iowa screwing Iowa, and not about our opponent just beating us.

However, I will say at some point our defense is going to break down more than they have in the first two games.

I think ISU is better than several of the teams remaining on our schedule, but those teams will probably end up scoring at least 10 pts if not more.

The question then inevitably (and sadly) becomes whether we can match that. And yes it is sad as f*** that our recruiting and development of those recruits (injuries be damned) got to a point where we have to worry about being able to score 10-17 pts a game...........which we're not even close to doing right now.

I can totally see a game where Nevada puts up 17 on our defense because of breakdowns here and there. They referenced Colorado State last year, and that's just one good example.

17 pts by Nevada is a f***ing danger zone for us given how bad our offense is, even when taking into account Nevada's defense is Nebraska bad.

I thought they'd be more optimistic than that (the thrashing at the hands of Incarnate Word probably is probably why). The OP is the only one that seems to think the Wolf Pack have a shot at pulling it off, the rest of them would be satisfied if Nevada just covers the (utterly ridiculous) 20+ point spread.

I don't think they quite grasp how bad our offense is. We couldn't move the ball a lick against a South Dakota State team that isn't even anything special by FCS standards (NDSU will school the Jacks this year, I guarantee it) and we couldn't move the ball against an average FBS school in Iowa State. Iowa getting 250 offensive yards against Nevada would be a small miracle.
Disagree - SDSU is one of the BEST FCS schools.

I watched Nevada play New Mexico and thought to myself...their 6'9" QB is going to get killed when they play Iowa. Their offensive line was having difficulty keeping New Mexico defenders off of him. I still think he's going to get killed Saturday.

I don't think they are going to have a good day offensively...and their defense is going to get worn down.

SDSU is ranked #2 in FCS and is predicted as one of the favorites to win it...not sure where you get "not good by fcs standards".

Iowas offense has definitely hit a new low. But you’re not giving the ISU defense enough credit. Their defense has been top 40 in efficiency for the past like 5 years, and top 30 in 4 of the last 5 (#18 last year). So it’s not like they are a pushover.
Its the norm here. NO ONE we play is worth a damn. We should beat every one by three touchdowns. The disrespect by many of our fans toward our opponents is disturbing and really puts us in a bad light....

Iowas offense has definitely hit a new low. But you’re not giving the ISU defense enough credit. Their defense has been top 40 in efficiency for the past like 5 years, and top 30 in 4 of the last 5 (#18 last year). So it’s not like they are a pushover.
We didn't fail against the ISU defense because they were making great defensive plays. We failed against the ISU defense because we can't execute simple plays in the passing game when the yards are there for the taking.

We didn't fail against the ISU defense because they were making great defensive plays. We failed against the ISU defense because we can't execute simple plays in the passing game when the yards are there for the taking.
Little column A, little column B. Again, they aren’t a bad team. Nevada is nowhere near ISU’s level defensively. Not that that means I have much confidence in our offense going into this week.

Just pointing out that ISU is better than many Iowa fans are willing to admit.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Nah. When we are not even making simple plays with guys that either absolutely should be blocked or hitting receivers that are wide open.......that's not on what Iowa State is doing to shut us down............

The state of Iowa's offense last year wins this game......and we weren't that good last year.

Mother fvcker, they created turnovers to bail out our offense, they have to play perfect to meet your standards? I’m done talking to those who think the defense failed or played less than stellar.
Trigger warning...

Never said they had to play perfect, no one does. They've bailed the offense out for 2yrs now. They failed to stop ISU when needed is all. Shit happens.

Yeah…..the defense gives up one TD drive…..it’s definitely their fault Iowa lost. They should never give up any points. Offense is completely blameless! :rolleyes:
Again, never said the offense wasn't to blame. The defense just failed that 1 drive to stop them. The offense failed all game.

SDSU is a great FCS school. But at the end of the day, I’m guessing not one of their starters was recruited and offered by ISU or Nevada…

Little column A, little column B. Again, they aren’t a bad team. Nevada is nowhere near ISU’s level defensively. Not that that means I have much confidence in our offense going into this week.

Just pointing out that ISU is better than many Iowa fans are willing to admit.
No they aren’t. They will struggle to be .500. SE Missouri St put up over 300 yards against their defense.

Reactions: HungryHawk
No they aren’t. They will struggle to be .500. SE Missouri St put up over 300 yards against their defense.
I’m having a hard time finding 4 conference wins for ISU. Even the bottom of the conference is competitive (Kansas, WVU, TCU) and won’t be easy wins for the Clones.

That being said, I see us as a 5th or 6th place team in the West this season.

An offensive unit with a QB, line and skill position play as bad as Iowa's has to give the nevada D coordinator at least a little confidence that his guys have a fighting chance. If they get a couple early 3 and outs, which is certainly not out of the question, their players might just start believing.

Eh, I think they’ll be pretty solid. The Iowa D is very good and they looked comfortable on the ground and through the air. Good oline/backs/receivers. Defense is hard to gauge because Iowa is so inept, but they looked athletic on that side as well. Their downfall will be special teams

Eh, I think they’ll be pretty solid. The Iowa D is very good and they looked comfortable on the ground and through the air. Good oline/backs/receivers. Defense is hard to gauge because Iowa is so inept, but they looked athletic on that side as well. Their downfall will be special teams
They, much like Iowa, will lose a game or two that will be head scratchers as to why they lost. Always happens to them.

ADVERTISEMENT