ADVERTISEMENT

Nevada Senate Race Now Favors Democrat, Report Says

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Senator Jacky Rosen of Nevada, a Democrat seeking re-election to her seat for the first time, is pulling ahead of her Republican challenger, Sam Brown, in a race that was once considered a feasible pickup for the G.O.P., according to several polls released this week.
New polling from the Cook Political Report and the bipartisan team of BSG and GS Strategy Group, released Thursday morning, showed Ms. Rosen ahead of Mr. Brown by a wide margin. The race, once viewed as a tossup in Cook’s ratings, is now leaning toward the Democratic candidate.
The surveys, conducted between July 25 and Aug. 2, show Ms. Rosen with an 18-point lead. The groups’ surveys in May, before Mr. Brown had secured the G.O.P. nomination, showed Ms. Rosen leading a generic Republican candidate by a wide margin, although a poll from The New York Times and Siena College around that time showed a tight contest. The latest Cook poll aligns with results from a Republican strategist’s Nevada poll released on Tuesday showing Ms. Rosen with a 12-point lead.
Jessica Taylor, Cook’s editor for Senate and governor elections, said that Ms. Rosen’s 18-point lead was most likely an outlier but nonetheless showed a widening gap that Mr. Brown would have to overcome. She attributed the senator’s lead to heavy spending on advertising and to effective messaging about abortion and reproductive rights — a key issue for winning support from women and independent voters, from whom Ms. Rosen is drawing substantial support.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Although Mr. Brown has tried to soften his stance on abortion to appeal to independents, he previously supported a 20-week ban without exceptions for rape and incest. Democrats have seized the opportunity to brand him as an extremist in their public messaging.
“Brown has significant work to do,” Ms. Taylor said. “I wouldn’t say it’s insurmountable. I think it’s still very much a race that’s in play,” she added. “But we can’t deny the advantage that Rosen has clearly now opened up.”
The Cook polling data, nearly two weeks old when released, was taken before Vice President Kamala Harris announced Gov. Tim Walz of Minnesota as her running mate at the top of the Democratic presidential ticket. When reached for comment, the Cook Political Report noted that its analysts wanted extra time to thoroughly dig into the data.
Notably, Ms. Rosen leads Mr. Brown by a wide margin, even as Cook’s presidential swing state poll found former President Donald J. Trump with a slim lead over Ms. Harris in Nevada. Ms. Taylor noted that she was surprised by just how much Ms. Rosen was outperforming Ms. Harris in her own race.
“At this point I would much rather be Rosen than Brown,” Ms. Taylor said. Although, she added, “in Nevada, you can take nothing for granted.”

This is one of the races that I saw for this cycle that would be a weathervane on the senate elections this year. Winning this one and others like it, will keep the likely losses to a minimum. I’d be surprised based on the map overall if they’re able to keep the Senate, since that likely will mean a couple of upsets in republican states.

Oh, we're keeping the Senate. Taking everything else, too.
I expect the Democrats will own all 3 houses and make gains even in red states due to Roe v Wade. Republicans have forced reproductive rights on several state ballots, including Nebraska. Harris was already going to win Omaha. She could actually pick up 2 to 4 EC votes if she takes Lincoln now too. Waltz may help pick up enough 3rd district votes along with the abortion measures to carry a majority. That would be huge.

No one can stand Pillen. He has been a disaster for the Nebraska Cons.

I expect the Democrats will own all 3 houses and make gains even in red states due to Roe v Wade. Republicans have forced reproductive rights on several state ballots, including Nebraska. Harris was already going to win Omaha. She could actually pick up 2 to 4 EC votes if she takes Lincoln now too. Waltz may help pick up enough 3rd district votes along with the abortion measures to carry a majority. That would be huge.

No one can stand Pillen. He has been a disaster for the Nebraska Cons.
Keeping the senate remains a tall ask - especially with manchin retiring and almost certainly losing WV as a result. I believe they’d have to run the table otherwise.

Keeping the senate remains a tall ask - especially with manchin retiring and almost certainly losing WV as a result. I believe they’d have to run the table otherwise.

The good news about the WV situation is that Jim Justice isn't the worst thing for the Dems. He might even go along with them on some things. I can see him being Manchin 2.0. I've always said he did a great job during Covid. He won the governor job 8 years as a Democrat but then sucked up to Trump. It would have been way worse if he wouldn't have won his primary.

Oh, we're keeping the Senate. Taking everything else, too.

I really doubt that. Like I want that to happen but I doubt that.

You already have lost WV. Like I don't think you can even entertain winning there.

So your best hope is 50/50

Then you are defending AZ, MI, MONTANA, NV, Ohio, PY, and WI.

And you have to win every single one and the Vice presidency to hold the senate.

Meanwhile the most "vulnerable" Republican seat is Rick Scott in FL or Ted Cruz in TX.

My prediction is the Republicans control the senate 52 to 48. They pick up WV, Montana, and Ohio and have none of their current seats flipped.

I really doubt that. Like I want that to happen but I doubt that.

You already have lost WV. Like I don't think you can even entertain winning there.

So your best hope is 50/50

Then you are defending AZ, MI, MONTANA, NV, Ohio, PY, and WI.

And you have to win every single one and the Vice presidency to hold the senate.

Meanwhile the most "vulnerable" Republican seat is Rick Scott in FL or Ted Cruz in TX.

My prediction is the Republicans control the senate 52 to 48. They pick up WV, Montana, and Ohio and have none of their current seats flipped.
At the moment it sounds like Brown has a lead in Ohio, but not a huge one. I agree with you otherwise.

They basically have to pull an inside-straight. I don’t totally rule that out however, considering how much the change to Harris has totally flipped the election dynamics.

Reactions: torbee
The Dem senators are all consistently running ahead of Harris. Tells me that lots of Trump voters vote for him only and no one else down ballot.

Still a near certainty D’s will lose the Senate. The key will be keeping the margin thin.

The Dem senators are all consistently running ahead of Harris. Tells me that lots of Trump voters vote for him only and no one else down ballot.

Still a near certainty D’s will lose the Senate. The key will be keeping the margin thin.
Not nearly as much as when it was Biden, and several of them have seen their numbers jump since the change was made.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Ohio's a possibility but Montana seems highly unlikely.
I don’t rule it out, Tester has survived tough races before, but otherwise agree.

Haven’t had a chance to see what the races with GOP incumbents look like, tho I know that they all look like uphill climbs at best - beating Hawley or Cruz would count as early Christmas presents if either were to lose; not that I expect either to unfortunately.

I saw Sam Brown on TV this week, and if you haven’t seen him his face is heavily scarred. I did a Google search and found out he is a West Point grad who was burned over 30 percent of his body in an IED attack in Afghanistan. How horrible that he’s a full blown cult member, and Trump doesn’t want to be seen in public with him?
Brown probably knows people buried in Arlington and Trump disrespected them, but he still supports the cult leader

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT