OLB: Niemann, Fisher/Bower
WLB: Fisher, Bower/Mends
CB: King, Draper
CB: Mabin, Fleming
SS: Taylor, Gair
FS: Lomax, Snyder

PK: Koehn, Ellis
P: Kidd, Koehn

I realize Scheel was "nicked" up recently but not sure how he isn't at least listed in the top 6. McCarron is listed twice as the back up.

I would bet with Scheel it is probably a matter of missing practice time.

Looking over Illinois state's two deep i found that on offense they basically return only 4 starts. A guard, center, QB and RB. They have three new OL. The tackles are a bit undersized. Their LT is only 280.

One of their starting DTs is 255 and their LBs are light. But they have a good DE that might cause problems for Myers.

The coaches probably don't want a true freshman making line calls, and need more help at guard.

JERMINIC SMITH!!! 2nd string.

Reactions: icu81222
So we list 12 starters on offense. Is that normal or are we getting teased we may come out in a 3 wide out set heaven forbid.

Interesting that bower isn't even a for sure 2nd stringer bc he is listed as an or with Mends at WLB and an or with Fischer at OLB.

I saw Morehouse tweet that Ferentz told him Croston will also see playing time against Illinois State.

So we list 12 starters on offense. Is that normal or are we getting teased we may come out in a 3 wide out set heaven forbid.

A couple years ago, or was it last year, the opening roster had 12 starters in order to list the H-Back (second TE).

Last edited:
Blythe wants to play Center so if Daniels does play it will be at Guard. Bowers has definitely slid down the depth chart with the / with Mends.

I don't think they've listed PR/KR on any of the depth charts to this point. Kirk being coy before playing our stars there?

Looking over Illinois state's two deep i found that on offense they basically return only 4 starts. A guard, center, QB and RB. They have three new OL. The tackles are a bit undersized. Their LT is only 280.

One of their starting DTs is 255 and their LBs are light. But they have a good DE that might cause problems for Myers.

Where did you find the ISU 2-deeps?

Have to get our best 5 linemen on the field (unless your last name begins with the letter F);)

If you read info on recent pressers it stated Daniels at LG exclusively so he can focus on one position. Simmons is back up Center. Steve Ferentz is most likely to play in garbage time or emergency with both Blythe and Simmons out

Don't know what to make of Jay Scheel's absence. Either he is injured or the coaches are trying to send a message. I hope its not the former. Kennedy did seem to hedge a bit when talking about Scheel during media days ..... more or less that they like his progress and athleticism but needs to continue to improve.

....... overlooked the obvious - Riley McCarron may have made huge strides the past 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I have been wondering about Parker for awhile now too. He needs to see the field. He is too explosive to keep off of it. Hopefully they have some packages with him

The coaches probably don't want a true freshman making line calls, and need more help at guard.

JERMINIC SMITH!!! 2nd string.

Liked seeing that too. TCU with their offense wanted this kid. H

With Illinois st bring up an excellent point that those people thinking Iowa will lose forget to realize they lost lot of guys from their team last year. Coprich and Roberson are good but have all new receivers and breaking in new tackles as well. Be fun watching Ott abuse them.

Also like seeing jerminic smith in 2 deeps. Kid had a offer from TCU he passed up for Iowa. Curious to see how many snaps smith, scheel and McCarron see.

If you read info on recent pressers it stated Daniels at LG exclusively so he can focus on one position. Simmons is back up Center. Steve Ferentz is most likely to play in garbage time or emergency with both Blythe and Simmons out

Just thinking outside the box....So tell me, after Blythe and Simmons graduate this year, who do you think might be our center next year (hint: begins with the letter F again):rolleyes:

Is scheel gonna be the latest guy with talent that's put in the dog house and not giving a chance and eventually leaves

Is scheel gonna be the latest guy with talent that's put in the dog house and not giving a chance and eventually leaves

What info do you have that Scheel is in the doghouse?

If you have none, isn't a little early to question whether a rFR will be given a chance to play?

Reactions: icu81222

Guess I'd have to watch a game from last year to see how often we went with 2 TEs in in a single back set.

There was also the unpopular-with-fans "diamond" formation which was 3 guys stacked in a triangle/arrow and another split opposite.

Jay Scheel was listed on the second team on the initial depth chart released during Media Days. He's been slowed by a minor injury.

Maybe before you hit ENTER, why don't you push in the clutch and THINK a little bit?

Well cw, can I call ya cw? Before you get all riled maybe you should think.. is he just kidding a little or is he for real before hitting enter.

Just thinking outside the box....So tell me, after Blythe and Simmons graduate this year, who do you think might be our center next year (hint: begins with the letter F again):rolleyes:
If there is any position where Iowa has recruited pretty well on the OL, it would be at OG. I would be shocked if Daniels DOESN'T slide over to C after Blythe graduates.

The Hawks will opt for the top 5 guys. The obvious top 4 will be Myers, Boettger, Welsh, and Daniels (trusting internal hype coming out about Daniels). The question is who is going to be #5?

Here are some possible candidates:
1. Croston - it sounds like he's continuing to work himself into the picture
2. Render - I haven't heard much, but it's caught my attention that he's already on the depth chart at OT. Not unlike Donnal, he might slide inside to see action earlier.
3. Newborg - Just a gut feeling on him - I love his wrestling background.
4. Keppy - Maybe some urgency strikes him and he elevates his game to the next level. He's been on the depth chart before.
5. Reynolds - Hungry young guy who likely feels like he needs to prove something.

I could see other guys sneaking up there onto the list before I'd put Steve Ferentz on there. I think the youngest Ferentz might prove to be like a Tommy Gaul - a career backup who puts himself into position to play and then makes the most of an opportunity when somebody goes down to injury.

Well cw, can I call ya cw? Before you get all riled maybe you should think.. is he just kidding a little or is he for real before hitting enter.

I didn't think you were joking. Or rather you said it with a slight uneasy sarcastic chuckle(while I your mind thinking Hayden I hope not)...

We need Scheel to be a top dog receiver. Somebody. Actually, we need two or more to step up... Having only a "minor" injury shouldn't keep you off the depth chart. Although it is early, so it could be that it is for motivation. For either Scheel, one of the other newbies J Smith or McCarron, or all 3.

That was interesting to see. I hope we run it and CJ can make it work. That will spread the field real quick, and stop the stacking of the box. Which has been common(and unfortunately worked for the opposing teams quite often) the last 3 years...

I was going off your patter on the basketball board...and it appears some of that should be left unwritten.

With that said, best of luck to you...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT