ADVERTISEMENT

New Baseball recruit

Has been 92-93 this spring, as has Swanda (Roosevelt & Nebraska commit).

Did Dahm not recruit Iowa very hard, why didn't the top guys want to come to Iowa when he was here? Was it just because they weren't very good or other stuff going on? By all accounts it seems like he is a super nice guy but it doesn't look like he is doing much at Mt Mercy either.

100% scholarships are extremely rare in college baseball. Up to 11.7 scholarships are spread out over 27 players, and each must get at least 25%. Thus, the average baseball scholarship is 40%.

Did Dahm not recruit Iowa very hard, why didn't the top guys want to come to Iowa when he was here? Was it just because they weren't very good or other stuff going on? By all accounts it seems like he is a super nice guy but it doesn't look like he is doing much at Mt Mercy either.

His main focus was Illinois. It's tough for Heller, too. It will always be a battle to keep the top guys from going to southern schools (Lillard, Van Scoyoc) but Heller has done a great job of preventing kids from heading to Nebraska or Illinois.

Since the new coach, Iowa has gotten most of the top talent. I am not sure about other schools but I was under the impression Iowa is NOT a 100% scholarship? COuld be wrong.
Iowa is a fully funded program. Meaning they have the full 11.7 scholarships to divide amongst all roster spots. Title IX is a ****ing joke

Full scholarships are very rare in baseball.

Jack Dahm is a helluva nice guy that likes to play golf etc.

Rick heller works as hard as the football coaches do.

Reactions: 3boysmom
We had a kid go through our high school program, that was all everything. Dahm and Iowa didn't pursue him much.......and he had a nice career with Nebraska.

Dahm's doing ok at Mt.Mercy, but they did not qualify for Nationals this year. The school's biggest thing right now is securing money/donations for their new athletic complex (track, football, baseball, softball) that is currently being built. From what I hear, Dahm has been a key person with that.

His main focus was Illinois. It's tough for Heller, too. It will always be a battle to keep the top guys from going to southern schools (Lillard, Van Scoyoc) but Heller has done a great job of preventing kids from heading to Nebraska or Illinois.
True, it is tough to compete against the Southern schools

We had a kid go through our high school program, that was all everything. Dahm and Iowa didn't pursue him much.......and he had a nice career with Nebraska.

Dahm's doing ok at Mt.Mercy, but they did not qualify for Nationals this year. The school's biggest thing right now is securing money/donations for their new athletic complex (track, football, baseball, softball) that is currently being built. From what I hear, Dahm has been a key person with that.
Ok, I was just looking at this year I guess and saw the record wasn't good.

Reactions: SPGroth
Is 25% the minimum that can be offered, is this a NCAA rule? How does academic scholarships factor into this?

Reactions: llm2
25% is an NCAA rule. Academic dollars can be added to this, but they don't count towards the 25%.

So those that follow baseball closer than I, what does the addition of Brady make our staff look like for next year? Go hawks! Does CJ get a med RS for the elbow injury and I thought two other pitchers had Tommy John?

Hawks snagged another recruit, pitcher Brady Schanuel, juco guy. Was at Ole Miss, but ended up back at his juco. Freshmen year he was 10-3 1.80 131 Ks in 83.2 innings. He was drafted in 2016. Looks like a good pick up

Looks like a guy that could fill a role in the weekend rotation.

So those that follow baseball closer than I, what does the addition of Brady make our staff look like for next year? Go hawks! Does CJ get a med RS for the elbow injury and I thought two other pitchers had Tommy John?

To answer your questions:

What does Probst add to staff? Too soon to tell. He's a great-looking prospect, but draft, adjustment to college ball, etc all will play into it.
Eldred is a redshirt junior this year (redshirted one year at Indiana) so he will be a senior next year. I don't think he could get a 6th year unless he got injured again next year.
The other pitchers who had surgery this year were I believe Allgeyer and Derek Lieurance. I thought Lieurance was a candidate for one of the starting spots, but memory is bad.

There is opportunity for impact arms to help out next year. Heller and staff have done a good job of piecing things together this year. A healthy Eldred could very well have meant a regular season title this year.

Lineup loses McCoy and (likely) the big fella at first base. But Neustrom, Norman, Whelan, Cropley, Hoeg, Judkins, etc. is a good core to build on.

Saw on twitter that football recruit Henry Marchese is a big baseball prospect, could get drafted in the top 5 rounds, seems like he really wants to play football at Iowa. Would be cool to have on the baseball team, too. I believe he's a CF.

Saw on twitter that football recruit Henry Marchese is a big baseball prospect, could get drafted in the top 5 rounds, seems like he really wants to play football at Iowa. Would be cool to have on the baseball team, too. I believe he's a CF.

Any chance this happens if he comes to Iowa?

Hawks snagged another recruit, pitcher Brady Schanuel, juco guy. Was at Ole Miss, but ended up back at his juco. Freshmen year he was 10-3 1.80 131 Ks in 83.2 innings. He was drafted in 2016. Looks like a good pick up
This is fun speculation.

If Eldred returns full strength and is #1, I also assume Gallagher doesn't get drafted high enough to leave, he is #2. Bring in Schanuel a likely starter and if Lieurance gets healthy (as indicated, he was talked about as a potential starter this year).

If Probst doesn't go pro and is as good as advertised. (tough for almost anyone to come in as a freshman and be dominant)

Combine that with some decent to solid returning guys, this staff could be REALLY good.

One thing I've noticed is we don't have anyone out of the bullpen that can run it up there fast enough to come in and blow some hitters away.

1. Eldred
2. Gallagher
3. Schanuel

Relief
Lieurance
Probst
Daniels
McDonald if he improves
Nick Nelson is intriguing and seems to have a ton of upside.
Algyher had some good innings in the past and showed some good signs
Lizzaraga has been a bit disappointing but hopefully another offseason gets him back into the 90's. Stuff just doesn't look good enough in the 80's

Interested to hear others thoughts on this and other recruits I have missed.

I forget that Gallagher is only a sophomore. Glad we get him for (likely) at least another year

I just dont think he throws quite hard enough. Doesnt really havr a dominant pitch IMO. He is just a very good college pitcher IMO.

One thing I've noticed is we don't have anyone out of the bullpen that can run it up there fast enough to come in and blow away hitters

Nebraska just now brings in a guy bumping 93. Iowa needs some guys like that

Ok. So 1 guy.... we need MoRE...

We have a few guys that touch low 90's...

I'd rather have a guy that throws 89-90 and can locate and get outs then a guy who tries to just blow the ball by guys all the time.

Black Hickman could touch 96 when he was at Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT