ADVERTISEMENT

New Big 12 Hype has begun

I still think some Big 12 members will find better homes. Just basing it off of what I’m reading elsewhere from a source I consider reliable. WVU and one other member of the Big 12 will be gone before 2026.
It's not as up in the air as it was, but it's far from all resolved. Just about nothing can be absolutely ruled out. Anybody who claims to have guessed Texas would go to the SEC is either a moron or a liar. To the PAC or the BiG, yes, but not to the SEC.

At this point, I would guess that pretty much any of the remaining teams would go to one of the other P5 leagues if an offer were made. But it doesn't look like that is going to be happening in the next couple of years.

So I'm interested in seeing how the details are going to work in the next, say, five years.

Will some kind of trade be negotiated to let OU and UT leave before 2025, and if so, what kind? Will the Big 12 have 10 members this year, 11 in two years (BYU), 14 in three years, then 12? How is the football scheduling going to be handled? What kind of TV deals are going to be arranged?

As I have remarked before, pass the popcorn.

Oklahoma and Texas will leave before 2025, any thought other than that doesn't make sense
I don't disagree. Everybody -- all members of both conferences and ESPN -- wants them gone sooner (no pun intended) than later. But there is significant money involved. Each of the two departing schools owes about $80 million to the league no matter when they leave. If they leave before 2025, they also have to give up their Tier 1 and Tier 2 media rights for the period between their departure and mid-2025.

Much is happening under the radar now. I have no clue as to what it is.

Written on paper not worth a damn ...the final negotiated amount will most likely be roughly half that.
That's kinda the point I was making. I don't know what grounds they would have to refuse payment -- the bylaws couldn't be clearer -- but there will be lawyers. However, the Irate Eight are not going to let them skate. The payout, including the GOR, will be hefty.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT