ADVERTISEMENT

New Big 12 Hype has begun

Cause Austin and Norman were closer?

Might want to try again on that argument. (also the parents aren't likely living in ames or Manhattan)
Orlando is maybe a 20 hr drive. The current longest trip is probably Morgantown.

I'm not the one who "needs to try again". And nowhere in my post did I specify "parents".

Reactions: iahawks10
OK the New Big 12 is as good as the Big East when they let them Keep their Power status. I see the Big 12 being as good as the PAC and ACC from top to bottom in a few short years. With more $$$$ Teams like BYU, UCF, Cincy will be a handful that teams will not want to play. Pride comes before the fall guys and looking down on teams that have beaten several big boy teams should not be taken lightly.
UCF is a sleeping giant
Cincy already a top 10 team turning into a program
BYU has won a ton of games the past 15 years
Houston is a football school in a football state who is not afraid of spending $$$
TCU has been tough
OK St has win 93 games in 10 years
Baylor has had special seasons the past 10 years
Iowa State has been decent of late
K State wins More than they lose
So year not a bad conference
Tex TECH has been so so but not awful
Kansas sucks
More $$$$$?

How much more? From what? to what?

try again". And nowhere in my post
"Still think those road trips to conference games is going to give some recruits and their families pause"

Sorry you must have meant 3rd cousins twice removed, clearly. My bad.

And again parents or families or recruits, or whatever you mentioned in your OP. Aren't making the drive from Ames. Many already live in Florida or Texas or wherever.

Also Ames to Morgantonw or Austin are about 14 hours. Ames to Orlando is 19. You think that five hours makes that much of an impact?

Wanna take yet another swing or just sit the rest out?

I'm curious how they're going to work the TV contracts. If they add teams to the B12 before TX and OK leave, are they going to try to force a contract renegotiation? What happens if the networks aren't interested? Or TX/OK aren't interested? If OK/TX stay till '25, do they do multiple contracts, one with them and one without?

But the only thing WORSE than court battles? Congressional/legislative involvement. Trust me, even the dumbest school or conference admin doesn't want that.

I always thought the whole 'legislative branch stepping in' idea was way overblown.

Congress getting involved would be a pretty unpopular move for voters. Not to mention the insane amount of influence Disney and Fox surely have from a lobbying perspective.

Speaking in my best Nigel Tufnel voice, "Well, it's two bigger, inn't it?"

yes!!!!!!

this “expansion” is like “when I want to take it right over the cliff”

and the “fans” left in jack trice at the beginning of fourth quarter, as well as pollard/bowlsby pimping their little/big 12, are like their gig at the amusement park

PUPPET SHOW

and Spinal Tap

with BYU vs Kansas or ISU vs Houston

Or like this epic guitar solo which was like the ISU offense vs the Hawk D, and tuning the violin equivalent to Campbell replacing Purdy with Dekkers or whatever his name is.

"Still think those road trips to conference games is going to give some recruits and their families pause"

And again parents or families or recruits, or whatever you mentioned in your OP. Aren't making the drive from Ames. Many already live in Florida or Texas or wherever.

Also Ames to Morgantonw or Austin are about 14 hours. Ames to Orlando is 19. You think that five hours makes that much of an impact?

You remind me of my wife some days... argue even when you know you're wrong just for the sake of arguing.

Clear facts... Ames to Orlando and Ames to Provo are farther than any trip fans would have now.

But go ahead and try to change facts like the last President.

You sure that you're not a "closet" Clone fan?

OK the New Big 12 is as good as the Big East when they let them Keep their Power status. I see the Big 12 being as good as the PAC and ACC from top to bottom in a few short years. With more $$$$ Teams like BYU, UCF, Cincy will be a handful that teams will not want to play. Pride comes before the fall guys and looking down on teams that have beaten several big boy teams should not be taken lightly.
UCF is a sleeping giant
Cincy already a top 10 team turning into a program
BYU has won a ton of games the past 15 years
Houston is a football school in a football state who is not afraid of spending $$$
TCU has been tough
OK St has win 93 games in 10 years
Baylor has had special seasons the past 10 years
Iowa State has been decent of late
K State wins More than they lose
So year not a bad conference
Tex TECH has been so so but not awful
Kansas sucks
give me some of what you are smoking--this new big 12 does not have any teams that stack up with USC--Wash--Oregon--UCLA---year in and year out.
UCF--what makes them a sleeping giant--cause they are a giant transient college? sort of like comunity college only way bigger right? their best coach ever is right next door and how is that working out so far?
Cincy--really? cause Fickell has found a way to win and by being undeafeated they get ranked so high--he coached OSU--how did that work out?
KSU--BAYLOR--tt--W vIR--all used to be good but coaches left and the replacements are not even close to the old guard--
Houston--their coach is the old Wvir guy who was run out of town...
If this league gets an automatic bid the fix is in boys....

Iowa fans will bad mouth Pollard no matter what he does. Some of his moves warrant criticism, some don't.

He is simply doing his job here. Promoting + supporting Iowa State + their conference. What else would you expect him to do?

Moving forward (after OU + Texas leave), I will still go to games. I will still support my university + the FB team.

I'm not smart enough to know if the Big 12 "deserves" P5 starus or not. ESPN runs the show + they will determine that.

I still think this isn't over + EVERYONE should be a little nervous. The remaining Big 12 teams bore the brunt of ESPN, SEC, OU + Texas' greed. Maybe they should've seen this coming? Who knows. My point is that most P5 teams (regardless of conference) are pawns in this money grab called college FB.

The Big 12 started playing football in 1996. If you roll back a few years to the start of the 90s, then there are four schools that have been members of the Big 12 during the conference history that have won a national title since that season. Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Those four schools all have one thing in common. They got, or are getting, the hell out of the Big 12.

But at least the conference is bringing in BYU and their 1984 national championship, plus already brought in TCU and their 1938 championship, to replace all of that.

I always thought the whole 'legislative branch stepping in' idea was way overblown.

Congress getting involved would be a pretty unpopular move for voters. Not to mention the insane amount of influence Disney and Fox surely have from a lobbying perspective.
"We hereby declare that the Sugarbowl must continue to host the champion of the B12 and pay it no less than the amount the Rosebowl pays the B10 champion, and furthermore declare that Disney-ABC must carry its games and pay the B12 no less than the amount paid to the SEC."

LOL.

As an Independent, or are you insinuating the SEC has expressed interest?
They are still talking to both SEC and ACC. Not in a ‘SEC just taking their calls as a courtesy’ way. Nothing definite, but this isn’t over. They will be in one or the other before 2025.

The Big 12 started playing football in 1996. If you roll back a few years to the start of the 90s, then there are four schools that have been members of the Big 12 during the conference history that have won a national title since that season. Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Those four schools all have one thing in common. They got, or are getting, the hell out of the Big 12.

But at least the conference is bringing in BYU and their 1984 national championship, plus already brought in TCU and their 1938 championship, to replace all of that.
Also lost Texas A&M, one of the top three, and some years up to #1, revenue producing programs in CFB. and lost Missouri who is also earning $10M more revenues per year than BYU, as per the WSJ rankings and ncaa data. And BYU is the “leader” of the four new little 12 members, who collectively only generate about the same annual revenue as Iowa.

this stupidly hopeful thread is unnecessary. The debate is closed. B12 is no more. Now it’s just a G6 conference that the market will not support to be among the P4.

IT’S. SO. OVER.

and sadly it’s been over for the b12 since TA&M and others left. UT and OU stuck a fork in it. And Iowa put it on a spit and roasted it on national TV at jack trice last Saturday.

I was wondering about that. Perhaps a good addition to the ACC?

Whatever, if WVU can get out of the Big 12 they should jump at the chance.
Agreed. Every member of the Irate8 is probably searching for a better situation behind the scenes while towing the company line in public.

As well they should.

BYU and Cincy will own the new conference in 3-4 years, imo. But if Fickell leaves Cincy...

As predicted. Pollard has his turd polishing towel out and is hard at it. "The New Big 12 will be better than ever." I'm not sure how replacing 2 P5 schools with G6 schools makes a conference better. Thoughts?
Exactly what I would expect him to say.

It depends on the definition of "better". It's obviously not going to make more money.

But, it should be more competitive. OK has won the last 6 Big 12 football titles and 14 out of 31. In basketball, the new schools have had success in their history.

Wake me when one of the AD's says, "Well, this sucks. But we have to play the games anyway I guess. Please buy some tickets."

Reactions: AuroraHawk
Iowa fans will bad mouth Pollard no matter what he does. Some of his moves warrant criticism, some don't.

He is simply doing his job here. Promoting + supporting Iowa State + their conference. What else would you expect him to do?

Moving forward (after OU + Texas leave), I will still go to games. I will still support my university + the FB team.

I'm not smart enough to know if the Big 12 "deserves" P5 starus or not. ESPN runs the show + they will determine that.

I still think this isn't over + EVERYONE should be a little nervous. The remaining Big 12 teams bore the brunt of ESPN, SEC, OU + Texas' greed. Maybe they should've seen this coming? Who knows. My point is that most P5 teams (regardless of conference) are pawns in this money grab called college FB.

i respect your loyalty to your school.

you’ll have so much more fun rooting for Iowa though.

ESPN doesn’t run the show btw. They help run the SEC.

the B10 is more powerful though, and the Alliance which the B10 leads represents 75% of the population and 85% of the GDP of the USA.

No one thinks a red neck regional conference will run anything, or that ESPN has a monopoly, or that most people appreciate the ESECPN pimping. Things are in flux and the SEC and ESPN overplayed their hands.

The upshot - The B10 will come out winners.

B10 is sitting pretty now. Extremely solid. And Iowa is among a handful of leaders in that leading conference. The Hawks are the standard-bearers for the entire state of Iowa - and its brand - going forward.

Jamie is a goof. Four teams joining when losing two is better for the league according to him, LoL. Don’t forget Jamie, the two leaving are your work horses bringing in all of your funds due to their long and storied history and success.

Add in the fact that Iowa State couldn’t even win the B12 north division when it was craptastic with these giants…Missouri, Kansas, KState, Colorado, and a struggling Nebraska that bailed for the B1G when given the chance and haven’t won the league after 10 years of trying.

The B12 south had all the talent in OU, Texas, Ok State, Texas Tech, TCU, and aTm. Can’t see ISU ever winning the conference with the departure of Texas and OU and now with the addition of UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, and BYU. Sucks to be a clown fan.

Agreed. Every member of the Irate8 is probably searching for a better situation behind the scenes while towing the company line in public.

As well they should.

BYU and Cincy will own the new conference in 3-4 years, imo. But if Fickell leaves Cincy...
BS. cinci doesn’t own sh*t. Literally. They’re in more debt than any other program in CFB. a disaster.

“As the News Record, the student newspaper, reported in April, the UC athletic department has lost more than $250 million over the last 12 years and, with this year’s totals, is likely $300 million in the hole.”

BS. cinci doesn’t own sh*t. Literally. They’re in more debt than any other program in CFB. a disaster.

“As the News Record, the student newspaper, reported in April, the UC athletic department has lost more than $250 million over the last 12 years and, with this year’s totals, is likely $300 million in the hole.”
I am talking from a competition POV.

If they beat Indiana and ND this season and then going to a larger conference, I see future success.

But my prediction changes if/when LF gets a bigger gig.

Jamie is a goof. Four teams joining when losing two is better for the league according to him, LoL. Don’t forget Jamie, the two leaving are your work horses bringing in all of your funds due to their long and storied history and success.

Add in the fact that Iowa State couldn’t even win the B12 north division when it was craptastic with these giants…Missouri, Kansas, KState, Colorado, and a struggling Nebraska that bailed for the B1G when given the chance and haven’t won the league after 10 years of trying.

The B12 south had all the talent in OU, Texas, Ok State, Texas Tech, TCU, and aTm. Can’t see ISU ever winning the conference with the departure of Texas and OU and now with the addition of UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, and BYU. Sucks to be a clown fan.
From the old Big 8 half are gone, arguably the best half. First Nebraska, then Missouri (who really wanted in the Big Ten), then Colorado, soon Oklahoma.

That leaves an impressive lineup of Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State.

For survival's sake the Big 8 merged with four teams from the SWC. Texas A&M left, now Texas is abandoning the wasteland for greener pastures.

Yeah, there's Cincy, BYU, Houston, somebody else. But a fifth-grader could figure this out. TV money is going down, probably way down.

Reactions: MitchLL
David - I'm guessing a large majority of Iowa fans would remain loyal to their athletic teams + school if the situation were reversed. I'm not gonna bail on my school simply because they play in a "lesser" conference (time will tell how that plays out).

Yes, it's a lot more enjoyable going to higher profile type games, but I loved going to ISU games when they were horrible playing in front of 30K people.

There is more to life than money. It just saddens me that ESPN/SEC/OU/TX did this. The ripple effect of their greed is enormous.

Going to Ames to watch them play BYU isn't the worst thing in the world. Same goes for a game vs. Houston, UCF, + Cincy.

Orlando is maybe a 20 hr drive. The current longest trip is probably Morgantown.

I'm not the one who "needs to try again". And nowhere in my post did I specify "parents".

Not to get in the middle of your lovers' quarrel, but basically you're both right and wrong.

True that the new Big 12 would replace two of Iowa St's longest road trips with two similar road trips plus 2 even longer.

But, does it really matter?

Unlike Iowa, who is blessed to have 6 opponents less than 5 hours away and 4 others less than 8 hours away, weekend trips from Ames to road games has always been worse overall, and much worse since Neb and Mizzou left. Kanas and Kansas St are the only trips that most would not consider extremely long drives, with Okie St the equivalent of Ohio St for Iowa (ISU's 3rd longest trip equal to Iowa's 10th longest). So, if you like taking a road trip from Ames and not going to KU or KSU, you're already used to a miserable drive, whether it's 14, 16, 20 hours one way or whatever.

But then again it might also make a difference if you count "local fans." I think it's pretty safe to conclude that there are a lot more Iowa fans who live a short drive from opposing B1G schools compared to the equivalent for ISU, sans Kansas City, since the State of Iowa is sort of an extension of the upper midwest population centers, and the universities surely get a majority of their out-of-state students from here, as opposed to an extension of Texas.

Then again, check out some of the road trips between Pac-12 schools....

So you two kiss and make up. It just doesn't matter. Remember you have a common belief - ISU sucks! ;)

Reactions: GoUIowa
They are still talking to both SEC and ACC. Not in a ‘SEC just taking their calls as a courtesy’ way. Nothing definite, but this isn’t over. They will be in one or the other before 2025.

My understanding is the ACC wanted nothing to do with them during the last wave of expansion and nothing much has changed on that front.

I guess the SEC could be if they decide to move past 16 schools.

UCF and Louisville is a fun game to watch but I can clearly see they aren't power 5 ready. I'm kind of interested in watching the new big 12 play out and since I really don't care that much it's at least slightly amusing. Pollard is a tool and that can't be denied. Texas sucks and I'm trying to remember who used hookers to recruit in basketball. Are they a new big 12 team? It would add some spice to the conference at least.

My understanding is the ACC wanted nothing to do with them during the last wave of expansion and nothing much has changed on that front.

I guess the SEC could be if they decide to move past 16 schools.
Actually a lot has changed on that front. After that Maryland left and the ACC suddenly realized they were far from secure. They actually reached back out to WVU and asked if they wanted to join if they could get out of their Big 12 contract(they had just signed up). WVU said they couldn’t and went to the Big 12.

So then the ACC who had turned down WVU because of academic snobbery invited Louisville who’s actually a worse school academically than WVU.

Throw in the ACC fans don’t really support football and WV would be a great get for them. WVU’s attendance and TV ratings both rank in the top 5 when ranked with the other 14 teams in the ACC.

Well … looks like UCF added to its “storied” football history last night. But not in a good way.

Since pollard is sooooo good at selling snake oil and treating debt as revenue and social media trolling, maybe he can do his magic and help me post a friggin gif.
wLm6_ZKBC6w5ZwMQIjhx9rEw9LNKpgPSl1kUop9Birak3RDjW5W8b3l220XE1kuyG0wo1ZNjMdO0rRNMH-Xp_4KQS5_1jLMjgXtRsx8ePdGs6VlIFERsdFWkJxubbNXPkXFCFAGBH1ljQHeQ9i-SE1L7JoD3OOsPVjARr5AwZbIx0UWM9UQltmILbdNRWOTVXndQmrUjNMX5VcodNlyWNx2re-7OLHq0aDc1I5ikPqA5SXNI9Wt7x9BTAj-YG6bNApkJqPzH7rHHvWEOfV0n7KXPRPcNGneq3zfxf1mEmKk411Jj6EAU3dSuBGB0bQckus0T3guc7TsvkGE8kVPCAdyz6E_nnPDz3EW_N9Ub33pGrvuaL0u8xpoFtgoO4azSIsWoOsjG1TT2M9Xw8OYkD8x-M-pkCQErIravCjanRSUlhHCf2SVXBQigL2AYO4wFYhvA0yIjXhYUXCxCivWnHYWIu7Bc9fm-mruiODVtAKglyDkSIhZJ4HYKL-PnlfPL4UE34e-eaQuDlMxRt-soVuEzCNEzI-joIOvTEyaE1wgFk1PpNqKMEV0rmHW75mlxvoVz11t2jtXzM37hta9pcL8amYpYYFo4pSzZD16IT5PcsiDscRK-3ESfsjM9E1pA-S6Wo35jFGLfFF0GBeb9LpI_Ngn1f7bkkHBrwLZ1sCTQ1HGZCRp0mGIJ9cHf0H7BJ0wxfCt-RJP5JL0n6bQ1XQc=w244-h230-no

Actually a lot has changed on that front. After that Maryland left and the ACC suddenly realized they were far from secure. They actually reached back out to WVU and asked if they wanted to join if they could get out of their Big 12 contract(they had just signed up). WVU said they couldn’t and went to the Big 12.

So then the ACC who had turned down WVU because of academic snobbery invited Louisville who’s actually a worse school academically than WVU.

Throw in the ACC fans don’t really support football and WV would be a great get for them. WVU’s attendance and TV ratings both rank in the top 5 when ranked with the other 14 teams in the ACC.
Not true on the academics.

Louisville is ranked #189 by US news.

WVU is #249. One of the worst so-called “national universities” on that list.

so when I talk about a conference full of “low ranked universities” In the new b12x that’s what I mean. Texas was the best academic institution they had by far. Was listed among the original eight Public Ivies - with UVA, Berkeley, Miami University in Ohio, Michigan, etc.

So the new b12 didn’t just replace grand old sports programs with huge budgets; they traded out what academic powerhouses they had (mainly Texas), with low ranked low profile and lower budget institutions which have much fewer involved, supportive, successful, and proud alumni.

Not true on the academics.

Louisville is ranked #189 by US news.

WVU is #249. One of the worst so-called “national universities” on that list.

so when I talk about a conference full of “low ranked universities” In the new b12x that’s what I mean. Texas was the best academic institution they had by far. Was listed among the original eight Public Ivies - with UVA, Berkeley, Miami University in Ohio, Michigan, etc.

So the new b12 didn’t just replace grand old sports programs with huge budgets; they traded out what academic powerhouses they had (mainly Texas), with low ranked low profile and lower budget institutions which have much fewer involved, supportive, successful, and proud alumni.
US News rankings are garbage.

And everything you posted might be true, but it doesn’t change the fact that WVU is leaving the Big 12 in the next few years.

US News rankings are garbage.

And everything you posted might be true, but it doesn’t change the fact that WVU is leaving the Big 12 in the next few years.
USN rankings are by far the best we have, and millions of high school kids and parents pay very close attention to them and make their decisions based on them. Their methodology may be debatable, but They mostly get it right. Just like for football programs, you can look at revenues, you can look at results, you can look at amount of grant funding and publications and Endowment and admission rate etc and that means a great deal these days. A school like #3 Columbia University (at 3.6% admit rate, the second hardest to get in to next to Harvard’s 3.4%) Has enough endowment to guarantee every single student who has need financial support, as grants not loans. Half of their students get aid and it amounts to an average of over $52K per year.

oh, and columbia is #2 in the world in producing nobel prize winners, another great way to quantify impact on the world.

Lower ranked schools don’t have nearly as good faculty, because they don’t have the resources to pay them etc, so About the facts recruiting talented students and generating grants and doing research etc. etc. so they are all interrelated

so the rankings get most of it right

Fair points but Cincy, UCF, BYU have had over a decade of football success so the flash in the pan argument might be tough to keep up when they have and keep winning. Now there will be better competition but the recruiting for these teams should get better as well one would figure so I think thats a wash there. And UCF might be 4th fiddle but Florida's 4th best kid is pretty good

They have success playing a schedule of one or two good teams and ten cupcakes. Put any of those four teams in a conference like the B1G or SEC and they become 5-6 win teams at best. They may have enough quality players to win a big game here and there but not the depth to survive a conference grind. Which makes them a perfect fit for ISWHO.
Amazing how fast the clown trolls returned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT