ADVERTISEMENT

New Director's Cup Standings. Iowa #46

73chief

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2002
Standings are now updated with results from golf, softball and rowing. Iowa drops to #46 nationally and #11 in the B1G. Once again pretty much expected since we only had a scoring opportunity in men's golf.

On the last update I mistakenly said that there was no chance Northwestern could surpass us because they did not have enough scoring chances left. Well, I forgot about their women's golf team. We are now 32.5 points behind them with only T&F and Baseball left. They don't have T&F and baseball will score a zero for them. If I am understanding the scoring correctly, baseball will score no less than 25 points for us. Maybe more, but I'm not for sure. So we really need to score some points in T&F. We only have two men's athletes in the finals tonight, so they both need to score some points so we can get at least 8 Director Cup points for the team. Indiana is almost 100 points behind and both of our baseball teams will cancel each other out. Purdue and Rutgers are way behind. So we can do no worse than 11th in the B1G and I think we have at least a punchers chance to move back ahead of Northwestern. Also looking at the national rankings, unless I am really misunderstanding the scoring, a top-50 finish is almost guaranteed based on who is behind us in striking distance and who has scoring opportunities left.

Now, here is the bad news. Iowa State is right behind us at #47 only 11 points behind. Once again I think baseball will do no worse than score us 25 Director's Cup points to lengthen the lead to 36 points. Iowa State obviously will get a zero for baseball. So it comes down to T&F. It looks like the Cyclones have enough finalists on both the men's and the women's side to score team points. They also have one runner on the men's side that might even win the title in the 800m. I just don't understand the Director's Cup scoring for track well enough to know if that will be enough for the Cyclones to leap frog us or not.

Track and Field points will be updated on June 16, so we will know then. Considering that we have finished in last place in the B1G six of the last eight years and #78 nationally last year,11th place in the B1G and Top-50 nationally will be a nice surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: cocoem
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News