ADVERTISEMENT

New Egress Window is an Eye Sore - Advice Needed

FlickShagwell

HR Legend
Jun 16, 2003
Omaha, NE
Putting an addition on the house. Contractor has been awesome so far. He’s had great ideas we love. He recommended an egress window for the new room in our basement. I googled it and came up with a bunch of pics like this:

egress1-facebook.jpg

And this:

egress5.jpg

So I was all about it. Those look great. They installed it today and I came home to this:

278333604_10109854519401069_1992557894902525566_n.jpg

I called the guy and was like, “so you’re gonna push that down into the ground so all that steel isn’t exposed, right?” And he said that no, I wouldn’t be able to open my window if we did that. I don’t even get what he means by that, but aside from that, this is ugly. It looks like a horse tank leaned up against that brand new brick they just put in yesterday. He said obviously once we resodded the yard some of it would be concealed, but what’s that gonna hide, six inches?

For you home improvement types, what are my options here? No way is this gonna grow on me over the next twenty years or however long we live here. Can we get a smaller window well?

Seems odd that the style/design wasn't discussed prior to the installation. Also, I don't think I've ever seen one that protrudes that far above the ground. What would be the point?

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Putting an addition on the house. Contractor has been awesome so far. He’s had great ideas we love. He recommended an egress window for the new room in our basement. I googled it and came up with a bunch of pics like this:

egress1-facebook.jpg

And this:

egress5.jpg

So I was all about it. Those look great. They installed it today and I came home to this:

I called the guy and was like, “so you’re gonna push that down into the ground so all that steel isn’t exposed, right?” And he said that no, I wouldn’t be able to open my window if we did that. I don’t even get what he means by that, but aside from that, this is ugly. It looks like a horse tank leaned up against that brand new brick they just put in yesterday. He said obviously once we resodded the yard some of it would be concealed, but what’s that gonna hide, six inches?

For you home improvement types, what are my options here? No way is this gonna grow on me over the next twenty years or however long we live here. Can we get a smaller window well?
Wtf that's not correct. Sorry

egress1-facebook.jpg

And this:

egress5.jpg

Holy crap…don’t know what to tell you. That’s nuts.

Only thing I can think of is plant shrubs around that monstrosity.

If you gave them the pictures you just shared they must be on crack. Not sure how they correct that work 😕

Is your contractor a native English speaker? Is it possible they are misunderstanding your question and once the window is installed they will remove the water tank? I’m grasping at straws here.

editing because I’m still dumbfounded. I mean, an egress window’s purpose is to allow you to get out in case of emergency right? Like, how is that a help? Is it bigger than it looks? Because it is not only unsightly but looks like it’d be a tighter fit getting out than the first 2 photos

Reactions: CaboKP
Is your contractor a native English speaker? Is it possible they are misunderstanding your question and once the window is installed they will remove the water tank? I’m grasping at straws here.
He is. And he did our neighbors house and did incredible work. He comes well-reviewed. I’m pretty sure this is what he meant to do, which… just… f*ck.

Holy crap…don’t know what to tell you. That’s nuts.

Only thing I can think of is plant shrubs around that monstrosity.

If you gave them the pictures you just shared they must be on crack. Not sure how they correct that work 😕
I never gave him the pics I shared above. He said he wanted to do an egress window, I googled it, found those and signed off. What he did looks nothing like anything I can find on Google image.

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
Unless I am not understanding something here, the metal enclosure should be at least partially buried. There are city codes that govern what clearances are necessary to be a legit egress window and I don't know what city you are in.

But a shovel and a couple of hours'ish of digging should get at least 2/3 of that below ground IMO. I agree, that does look weird as is.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Put some shrubs around it and call it a day.

Seriously, why no blueprint or some other sort of drawing for you to look at and approve ahead of time? When having any home remodeling done, I want to see the contractors ideas in design form before they do the actual work. Otherwise you run into the problem you’re now faced with.

Reactions: Moral

egress1-facebook.jpg

And this:

egress5.jpg

This is what happens when you let the contractor PIIYB prior to job completion. You’re supposed to PIIHB dumbass.

I never gave him the pics I shared above. He said he wanted to do an egress window, I googled it, found those and signed off. What he did looks nothing like anything I can find on Google image.
That sucks…unfortunately you have to be very specific apparently. Googled it just now and see nothing like that…should be ground level and below…

You're West O right? it doesn't need to be that tall from a code perspective. Cut it back, put some bushes around it that @LuteHawk would be proud of, call it good.
Midtown, fool.

Just fired off a very reasonable but firm email. Told him “if the plan all along was to have so much exposed metal above grade, then we have to come up with a better one.” Will update as new developments happen.

Just start by telling him you don't like it. If he's well reviewed he will not want the customer being disappointed even if he thinks you're nuts.

There is no way it should be that tall. Maybe a 1/4 of the height...maybe.

Midtown, fool.

Just fired off a very reasonable but firm email. Told him “if the plan all along was to have so much exposed metal above grade, then we have to come up with a better one.” Will update as new developments happen.

Ah, shit...not sure then. Just helped a buddy closer to CO by about 6 miles than you do a project - and that was definitely not how we did it and we were within code. Can't be much different, but who knows!

How's that "Catch" photo looking in the basement? Thats why you need that egress window. To save all the Hawkeye gear!

Really ties my Hawkeye Room together! Was that you that sent it? I love it. I got a nice frame for it and everything. Under autographed pics of Kevin Kasper, AJ Epenesa, Marc Cook, and ISM and sandwiched between my 03 and 04 seniors posters.

Yup, I had a few of them and remember you were looking for one. I am down to two left - but finally engineered a spot for one in the home office. Glad yours is still in a good spot. Like I said, get that egress window...gotta escape with the Hawkeye gear if there's ever a fire. The wife will find her way out!

• Love
Reactions: FlickShagwell
Yup, I had a few of them and remember you were looking for one. I am down to two left - but finally engineered a spot for one in the home office. Glad yours is still in a good spot. Like I said, get that egress window...gotta escape with the Hawkeye gear if there's ever a fire. The wife will find her way out!
Well thanks once again. I’ll send pics the next time I’m down there. Kind of a bitch to get to at the moment since half the house is a construction site.

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT