ADVERTISEMENT

New facility FYI

The new practice facility was bid today...the budget was $17.2mm and the apparent low bid was over that by $4.1mm. I am not sure if the project gets scaled back and rebid in the future OR if one the HROT'ers wants to kick in a cool $4mm and make it go as-is.
I’m kind of surprised the low bid was only 4 million over the proposed budget. I’m assuming the budget proposal was prepared months ago, and with the way building supplies have sky rocketed, this was going to happen.

The new practice facility was bid today...the budget was $17.2mm and the apparent low bid was over that by $4.1mm. I am not sure if the project gets scaled back and rebid in the future OR if one the HROT'ers wants to kick in a cool $4mm and make it go as-is.
Waiting a year or two until the supply chain issues work themselves out might save $4mm.

Reactions: el dub
I know they want this to be privately funded (IIRC), but the athletic department is gonna get a nice juice on the next media deal, and honestly 4mm will be a drop in the bucket...

That money is largely spoken for just keeping up with rising costs, inflation, and the Joneses. Not really available for capital projects. They will just raise the money if needed.

Waiting with the idea costs will go down is an awful, awful idea.

It would be imprudent for them to have fully allocated nearly a doubling of the budget before 18 months ahead of receiving it, without having reserved any of it.

Having typed that out, you are probably absolutely correct, and I'm gonna go fix another old fashioned...

Last edited:
The cost of steel has gone through the roof with very little end in sight. Good luck predicting a budget that will come any where near being accurate in the end.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
The total project cost is the ~$25 million.
I think OP is probably talking about just the main contractor for construction. Architecture and furnishings for example are paid to other contractors.
Clarification...the $17.2mm budget number is the official CONSTRUCTION budget produced by the University for the project. The total PROJECT budget, to include furnishings, etc, is a different number and sure could be around $25mm, that I do not know.

That the construction bids came in more than $4mm over the construction budget of $17.2mm though may, or may not, be an issue. The bids yesterday were for ALL of the construction costs and included all of the sub-contractors, materials, etc, not just the main contractor.

If that budget number was set even just 6 months ago...well yes, with building material and equipment prices rising as much as they are right now...it is very plausible that the delta between the budget amount and the low bid could be explained by inflationary pressure alone.

Hell, I have never been a fan of going with the low bid anyway. I know some public projects(government buildings) mandate taking the lowest bid. Is a state of Iowa University obligated to take the low bid? If so, with it being privately funded, would that allow them to loophole out? How much higher was the average or median bid?

Prices may be way higher then. Inflation is not going away soon.

It actually might. It's going to be an interesting case study in supply and demand. Because this is clearly a supply issue. I think that's an easier puzzle to solve than if demand was just low.

Hell, I have never been a fan of going with the low bid anyway. I know some public projects(government buildings) mandate taking the lowest bid. Is a state of Iowa University obligated to take the low bid? If so, with it being privately funded, would that allow them to loophole out? How much higher was the average or median bid?
I believe this project is subject to Iowa state law that would obligate them to select the lowest responsible bidder. However, the apparent low contractor is a very reputable, local firm that has done dozens and dozens, probably hundreds of projects around the area, including countless jobs on the U of I campus. There are no worries about the "low bidder" in this case, IMO.

6 General Contractors submitted bids, I would describe the bidding as pretty competitive. #1 left about 3/4 Mil on the table though, but it was very tight after that for spots #2 thru #5, with those only being separated by roughly the same margin as between #1 and #2, about $880K.

#1 $21.372MM
#2 $22.107MM
#3 $22.544MM
#4 $22.608MM
#5 $22.990MM
#6 $24.233MM

I believe this project is subject to Iowa state law that would obligate them to select the lowest responsible bidder. However, the apparent low contractor is a very reputable, local firm that has done dozens and dozens, probably hundreds of projects around the area, including countless jobs on the U of I campus. There are no worries about the "low bidder" in this case, IMO.

6 General Contractors submitted bids, I would describe the bidding as pretty competitive. #1 left about 3/4 Mil on the table though, but it was very tight after that for spots #2 thru #5, with those only being separated by roughly the same margin as between #1 and #2, about $880K.

#1 $21.372MM
#2 $22.107MM
#3 $22.544MM
#4 $22.608MM
#5 $22.990MM
#6 $24.233MM
Now that is some detailed, inside info!

It actually might. It's going to be an interesting case study in supply and demand. Because this is clearly a supply issue. I think that's an easier puzzle to solve than if demand was just low.
Lol Clearly a supply issue and NOT demand?

Solving a low demand puzzle? Like, we REALLY don’t want this project. We’ve got the money, but, meh, take it away..?

I’m pretty sure you and I didn’t attend the same school of business and economics. Lol

Lol Clearly a supply issue and NOT demand?

Solving a low demand puzzle? Like, we REALLY don’t want this project. We’ve got the money, but, meh, take it away..?

I’m pretty sure you and I didn’t attend the same school of business and economics. Lol

Whoa. I meant the overall supply chain issue and the inflation its caused. Our demand is there. Its our supply production and supply chain issues that I think are a little easier problem than if it were a demand problem.

#1 $21.372MM
#2 $22.107MM
#3 $22.544MM
#4 $22.608MM
#5 $22.990MM
#6 $24.233MM
Calling McComas reputable is generous.

Whoa. I meant the overall supply chain issue and the inflation its caused. Our demand is there. Its our supply production and supply chain issues that I think are a little easier problem than if it were a demand problem.
I’m not sure what this (low) demand problem would look like? Cheap lumber?

The university is demanding limber. It’s expensive right now and there could be multiple reasons.

You can’t build a facility by un-demanding materials.

The university is demanding limber. It’s expensive right now and there could be multiple reasons.

You can’t build a facility by un-demanding materials.
Bro. I’m not talking about the university of Iowa.

Im talking about US inflation. There is no lack of supply - but a lack of production and a backlog in the supply chain.

but the demand is there, so I’m wondering if inflation won’t be such a long term problem. That’s why I replied to Texas twister.

Im talking about US inflation. There is no lack of supply - but a lack of production and a backlog in the supply chain.

but the demand is there, so I’m wondering if inflation won’t be such a long term problem. That’s why I replied to Texas twister.
It mostly becomes a demand side issue near the end of the Monopoly game…. The point where the masses do not bring in enough money to fuel the economy through bottom-up purchasing power.

There is in fact a lack of supply...on a whole range of items. ??? There is a severe lack of supply in some categories...things that are normally in stock are months and months out of stock, etc.

Reactions: Wadukester
There is in fact a lack of supply...on a whole range of items. ??? There is a severe lack of supply in some categories...things that are normally in stock are months and months out of stock, etc.

correct. Some categories. Formula for instance, due to one factory being shut down due to some of its product harming kids. But the biggest reason why that one factory shutting down hurt so bad was because demand has been down so long due to Covid (people stocked up) that production was ramped down.

so the demand is back, but production needs to increase - as opposed to a more dire situation where there just isn’t a product available.

Im saying/hoping that inflation will be a short term problem as production increases to meet demand and the supply chain continues to work itself out.

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT