ADVERTISEMENT

New Furnace/AC Quotes

chalupa81

HR All-State
Apr 14, 2005
Waukee, Iowa
Decided to start the furnace this week and it wouldn’t kick on. Had a local company out and finally got it to work but they said it was in very poor shape and listed a number of things wrong with it (17 years old). Going to get a quote for new furnace and probably AC at the same time (also 17 years old). We got a 2 story house with maybe 2,000 sq ft in Iowa. Has anyone gotten a quote recently so I know a ballpark? I don’t need the high end system but I don’t want a pile of crap either, so any recommendations on brands either?

Decided to start the furnace this week and it wouldn’t kick on. Had a local company out and finally got it to work but they said it was in very poor shape and listed a number of things wrong with it (17 years old). Going to get a quote for new furnace and probably AC at the same time (also 17 years old). We got a 2 story house with maybe 2,000 sq ft in Iowa. Has anyone gotten a quote recently so I know a ballpark? I don’t need the high end system but I don’t want a pile of crap either, so any recommendations on brands either?
It’s gonna be expensive. If it’s 17 years old it shouldn’t have a “list of things” wrong with it. Not outside of being less efficient than newer units.

Why won’t it fire up after working last year? Seems like it could be as simple as a dirty flame sensor if the motor ran fine all summer.

Reactions: Moral
I had a 4-ton and 5-ton replaced in May for 18,500. That was replacement of everything (compressor, condenser, air handler, furnace, drip pan) but no new lines nor did they have to replace the existing duct.

It’s gonna be expensive. If it’s 17 years old it shouldn’t have a “list of things” wrong with it. Not outside of being less efficient than newer units.

Why won’t it fire up after working last year? Seems like it could be as simple as a dirty flame sensor if the motor ran fine all summer.

The dirty flame sensor was a yearly issue at my old house and nothing that steel wool wouldn't remedy.

The inducer motor was amping for 20%+ more than what it is rated for. Blower motor is leaking grease and is noisy (bearings are going out), heat exchanger was in really rough shape and worried about cracking. The carbon monoxide readings in the exhaust pipe were extremely high.

The inducer motor was amping for 20%+ more than what it is rated for. Blower motor is leaking grease and is noisy (bearings are going out), heat exchanger was in really rough shape and worried about cracking. The carbon monoxide readings in the exhaust pipe were extremely high.
Well if you’ve got carbon monoxide the new HVAC could be cheaper than a couple of funerals … depending on the size of the headstone and quality of the casket.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Quote here in Florida can be drastically different based on the time of year you request it. Not sure if same wherever you are.

During summer and close to summer, the quotes are more expensive because they are busier and people are more desperate to have a working HVAC since it gets so hot here. During the winter, the quotes are cheaper as they are less busy and want to keep their workers employed.

You may want to check to see the best months to request a quote and get a replacement in your area.

High carbon monoxide in the exhaust pipe being high would be from your inducer motor slowing down and drawing more amps. It’s still working, however. The blower motor is going to be a you thing. Can you handle the loudness. We replaced ours this summer for $550.

Did he tell you what was wrong with it? Why it wasn’t working? He obviously did something to get it going again.

I advise you have your HVAC system checked annually. Most places offer inspection and cleaning services at a reasonable rate. We have done this for over 30 years...2 things result...1) you know your HVAC is reliable and safe...2) it allows you to monitor your HVACs aging process..and yes, in time they will have to be replaced.

Replaced our home AC with heat pump two years ago and paid around $12-$13k.

Been a couple years but I have ~$10-12k in my mind.
Our AC went out this summer and we got a quote around this for replacing both heating and air. Ended up just getting the AC replaced for $4000. In my opinion 10-12 is a pretty good price. Much less than that I'd start to have concerns about quality of workmanship or equipment

Replaced my furnace and AC about a year ago. Both units were around 20 years old. It was ~$9k minus the energy and tax credits. I have noticed a modest drop in my utility bills with the more efficient units.

Almost posted this same topic last week.
Be prepared to spend 5k give or take.
I ended up going the diy route as everything was relatively easy to fix and only cost me about 500 and a sore back.

Had both replaced in DM about 7 years ago, cost about $9K. Went with the Schaal Heating and Cooling based off HROT rec's. They sold us their house named brand. They told us we needed to be on a plan for the warranty which I was later told is illegal.
So we pay $30 or so a month to be on the 2nd highest level. They came out last week to check our AC to make sure it was running well. Yes the AC. They were too busy too get to it during the summer.
The first yearly check up they had about $200 worth of work to do on our brand new unit. They told me their house brand was shit. But they still didn't cover it.
I would recommend going elsewhere.

$7k-$15K

Ended up getting my quote back (Golden Rule)

$9,900 fully installed
96% dual stage/variable speed air furnace
16 seer single stage AC
0% 36 month financing
And that's a pretty base-level system. I've been hearing $10-12k this year. What's the cost to upgrade to multi-stage AC?

Wow, they're pricey.
This is why companies push for replacements. I worked for Service Legends in DM. We would go to the supply house and get what we needed the morning of most installs so we would see the prices. All supplies would be like $2500 and it would be a two days job that the customer would pay well over $10k for. I remember $10k mark up on one job.

I broke off and did my own thing for a year but everything I earned had to go to buying tools so I got out unfortunately.

This is why companies push for replacements. I worked for Service Legends in DM. We would go to the supply house and get what we needed the morning of most installs so we would see the prices. All supplies would be like $2500 and it would be a two days job that the customer would pay well over $10k for. I remember $10k mark up on one job.

I broke off and did my own thing for a year but everything I earned had to go to buying tools so I got out unfortunately.
If what you are saying is correct, you quit too soon.

If what you are saying is correct, you quit too soon.
Couldn’t afford books and tests the govt mandated. Got a full time job somewhere else and always planned on getting back into it. Oops.

My biggest problem was charging way too little.

The dirty flame sensor was a yearly issue at my old house and nothing that steel wool wouldn't remedy.
I just shined mine up last week before the first fire up of the season, but I use a low grit sandpaper when I do it. My HVAC guy clued me into that about 15 years ago. I believe my AC/Furnace is nearly 30 years old, certainly not high on efficiency, but it works well regardless.

Reactions: Moral
Couldn’t afford books and tests the govt mandated. Got a full time job somewhere else and always planned on getting back into it. Oops.

My biggest problem was charging way too little.
Books and tests are just a few hundred dollars.

I advise you have your HVAC system checked annually. Most places offer inspection and cleaning services at a reasonable rate. We have done this for over 30 years...2 things result...1) you know your HVAC is reliable and safe...2) it allows you to monitor your HVACs aging process..and yes, in time they will have to be replaced.
We are part of a program through a local HVAC contractor that does 1 spring AC cleaning/inspection and 1 fall HVAC cleaning/inspection for $100. It includes free emergency on-call for nights and weekends.

Ours is 27 years old, and we've already set aside a big chunk to replace it in the next few years.

Had both replaced in DM about 7 years ago, cost about $9K. Went with the Schaal Heating and Cooling based off HROT rec's. They sold us their house named brand. They told us we needed to be on a plan for the warranty which I was later told is illegal.
So we pay $30 or so a month to be on the 2nd highest level. They came out last week to check our AC to make sure it was running well. Yes the AC. They were too busy too get to it during the summer.
The first yearly check up they had about $200 worth of work to do on our brand new unit. They told me their house brand was shit. But they still didn't cover it.
I would recommend going elsewhere.
The takeaway, never trust HROT recommendations.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r

Dang. Our guy has always pushed for replacing parts before replacing system bc "They don't make them to last like they used to."

Reactions: SWIowahawks

$9,900 fully installed
16 seer single stage AC
0% 36 month financing
Sounds familiar...this is the route/company we went with on our furnace...about $5600 after rebates....little stronger warranty than the (commercial grade) unit we replaced. I question the wisdom of “variable speed” now, however....the variable speed recommends a more constant temp setting, as opposed to our previous “night/sleep” setting (60F) v. Day setting of 67F we used with the single stage blower.

I am going back and forth on AC furnace quotes and Geo….ours is just over 20 years old….had to replace a few components and now trying to be proactive before even more expensive fixes pile up.

it seems like you can spend as much as you want…I’ve had quotes from 8-15k and up to 25-30k for geo before the incentives. I’m a bit leery of the Geo rebates and incentives actually being approved and coming back to me though.

$9,900 fully installed
16 seer single stage AC
0% 36 month financing
not terrible and I'm a big fan of the variable speed speed units

I'd imagine there are some decent government energy credit out there too

ADVERTISEMENT