ADVERTISEMENT

New Grad Transfer

J-Prof

Rookie
Mar 7, 2004
Per KF today, there's another possible grad transfer coming soon. Open speculation is welcome. I suppose it would be too good to be true if it's a WR.

A SS would also be nice.
giphy.gif

Marc Morehouse on twitter just said something about WR Matt Quarells from New Mexico.

DSC_0688.JPG

19%20-%20Matt%20Quarells%20-%20WR.JPG

Position
Wide Receiver
Height
6-1
Weight
Class
R-Fr.
Hometown
St. Louis, Mo.

Matt
Quarells

2015 (Redshirt Freshman Season): Saw action in nine games with a pair of starts ... caught two passes for 23 yards ... had a catch for 17 yards against Mississippi Valley State ... caught a 6-yard pass against Boise State.

2014 (Freshman Season): Redshirted.

High School: A three-star recruit who played on both sides of the ball as a senior for the Hawks … led the team with 27 catches for 697 yards and five touchdowns in 2013 … Hazelwood Central went 12-1 and reached the Missouri State Class 6 semifinals … also intercepted three passes, including two in the state semifinal game, and made 11 tackles … scored a 22-yard touchdown with 17 seconds remaining in the opening game of the season for Hazelwood to give the Hawks a 33-28 win … named the No. 12 recruit in the state, regardless of position, by 247 Sports … hauled in a team-high 41 catches for 759 yards and six touchdowns as a junior, and added another touchdown on a kick return, as Hazelwood went 9-3 and advanced to the second round of the state playoffs … also an excellent track athlete in the 200 meters who won three state titles with the Hazelwood track team ... also recruited by Illinois, Indiana and Missouri.

Personal: Full name Matthew Lonel Quarells ... birthday is October 8, 1995 ... is majoring in business administration.

He graduated in 2 years. Will have 2 years to play at Iowa

Holy Snikes. this kid should give up football entirely and focus on something else. He has to not only be brilliant but highly focused and motivated. These are the kinds of people we need leading our businesses... or leading technology or the search for cancer.

Check out the offer list of Matt Quarells: (out of high school)
Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Purdue and a bunch of decent MAC schools (among others)

Refer to the following link .... http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Matt-Quarells-37350/RecruitInterests

Also, since he was a WR in such a run-heavy school under the tutelage of of Bob Davie, fellow fans will laugh at me for mentioning this ... but the good news is that this kid will know how to block downfield. We know that matters to Ferentz and Co.

Given his offer list, it's rather curious that he ended up at New Mexico. I personally really like the food in New Mexico ... however, I'd much rather live in Santa Fe than Albuquerque. Anyhow, the young man put up pretty decent high school stats ... and was viewed as one of the better young WRs on the New Mexico squad.

Check out the offer list of Matt Quarells: (out of high school)
Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Purdue and a bunch of decent MAC schools (among others)

Refer to the following link .... http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Matt-Quarells-37350/RecruitInterests

Also, since he was a WR in such a run-heavy school under the tutelage of of Bob Davie, fellow fans will laugh at me for mentioning this ... but the good news is that this kid will know how to block downfield. We know that matters to Ferentz and Co.

Given his offer list, it's rather curious that he ended up at New Mexico. I personally really like the food in New Mexico ... however, I'd much rather live in Santa Fe than Albuquerque. Anyhow, the young man put up pretty decent high school stats ... and was viewed as one of the better young WRs on the New Mexico squad.

The question I have is what's the legitimacy of him actually coming on board ?

I hear he is already here.

Well that is intriguing and as far as opportunities to catch the ball it'll feel like an "Air Raid" offense coming over here....they completed 96 passes!

This has been a very interesting off-season, a lot of interesting things going on behind the scenes? They certainly have the look of a team trying to do everything they can to gain an advantage and win!

Reactions: terrehawk
Well that is intriguing and as far as opportunities to catch the ball it'll feel like an "Air Raid" offense coming over here....they completed 96 passes!

This has been a very interesting off-season, a lot of interesting things going on behind the scenes? They certainly have the look of a team trying to do everything they can to gain an advantage and win!
Yeah - it's frankly a little out of characteristic for Ferentz. Some of the last few transfers really seemed to supply some positives.

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the coaches know that this team could be pretty good. Are they tweaking the personnel to give themselves the best chance to win?

Yeah - it's frankly a little out of characteristic for Ferentz. Some of the last few transfers really seemed to supply some positives.

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the coaches know that this team could be pretty good. Are they tweaking the personnel to give themselves the best chance to win?

Yeah Homer, agreed you and I think pretty similarly outside of me being a caustic arse of course LOL!

And it's big time out of character!! The only thing I would say is besides their athletic attributes being pretty much no-brainers especially with Butler, they obviously are incredibly intelligent and seem to fit what we want to do absolutely perfectly; so we got a little lucky to of course!

I know we have holes but in all honestly there is a lot to like about this team & the way this staff has recruited over the last several years!

Not to mention the infusion of young coaching talent and brilliant top shelf minds. It's very reminiscent of the way we hire people, especially people moving into manager/leadership roles, hirer the talent and then find a place for them.

Yeah Homer, agreed you and I think pretty similarly outside of me being a caustic arse of course LOL!

And it's big time out of character!! The only thing I would say is besides their athletic attributes being pretty much no-brainers especially with Butler, they obviously are incredibly intelligent and seem to fit what we want to do absolutely perfectly; so we got a little lucky to of course!

I know we have holes but in all honestly there is a lot to like about this team & the way this staff has recruited over the last several years!

Not to mention the infusion of young coaching talent and brilliant top shelf minds. It's very reminiscent of the way we hire people, especially people moving into manager/leadership roles, hirer the talent and then find a place for them.
The Hawks had some real potential on O in '10, '11, and '14. A big problem we had those years is that we didn't have the talented depth at RB that we needed to ride the coat-tails of some of those talented OLs.

We had guys like Reiff, J. Ferentz, and Gettis on the '11 OL ... and yet we had no extra depth behind Coker. That's almost criminal (don't worry - I know well enough than to mention the deity who shall not be named). We had a guy who ran for around 1300 yards ... and yet the team as a whole managed little more than that.

We had guys like Scherff, Donnal, Walsh, and Blythe on the '14 OL! In '16, with Daniels and Wadley, we field 2 1000+ rushers ... yet we don't even sniff that in '14 with that OL! That's comical ... if it weren't so frustrating as a Hawkeye fan.

What does this tell us? Maybe it tells us ... "lesson learned?" If a guy is healthy, he's more likely to execute at his best. If there is another talented guy "on deck" ... he can give us quality snaps, help us to be harder to defend, and the extra talent helps everybody at the position group to remain healthier!

I have a feeling that the Iowa coaches realize that there really is a lot to be gained for the Hawks if we can field a successful team this year. There's a lot of recruiting currency we can gain and cash in upon. However, in order to do so ... we need to have some success ... THIS YEAR.

Lastly, I think that Kirk knows that his son is in a much more high profile position now ... and it's going to be a lot harder for him to shelter him from any oncoming storms. Thus, perhaps out of parental instinct, I wouldn't be surprised if he's allowing the Hawks to grab more "band-aids" than usual ... simply to protect his son. As a pleasant side-effect ... hopefully it helps to placate us-fans too.

Who are the guys on the left in the gray and white muscle shirts?
My question is whether the big burley guy in the back left is Dominique Dafney? If he is ... then I anticipate that cb_iowa is correct in asserting that Quarells sitting behind Smith-Marsette (and to the right of Smith).

He is jacked, but you are probably right.
No, I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass ... if that is Copeland ... then I genuinely hope that I age that well. I'm middle-aged and I'm a little vain ... if Kelton can give me a little hope ... I'll take it!

ADVERTISEMENT