ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

What did she do or possibly do to tank? Is she the first coach in college history to tank? If not, who else in college has tanked?
Ran off over half her team to the portal lol. I don’t think I believe that but I’ve seen it brought up on twitter a couple times now.

I can’t answer your other questions.

Ran off over half her team to the portal lol. I don’t think I believe that but I’ve seen it brought up on twitter a couple times now.

I can’t answer your other questions.
Thanks for responding. Still don’t think I understand the concept. Sissoko, Smith and Scalia were main stays through the end of last season, which means with their post-season exit that the season being tanked is next season. Not sure that makes any sense, but appreciate you’re the messenger.

Thanks for responding. Still don’t think I understand the concept. Sissoko, Smith and Scalia were main stays through the end of last season, which means with their post-season exit that the season being tanked is next season. Not sure that makes any sense, but appreciate you’re the messenger.
Right? I don’t know why you’d want to ever get rid of Scalia. And if she did do it purposefully, it certainly blew up in her face with Scalia’s commitment to Indiana lol. But I think the upshot here is just how excited people are for this class, and now apparently all of her players will be athletes she herself has recruited. So, we’ll see!

Right? I don’t know why you’d want to ever get rid of Scalia. And if she did do it purposefully, it certainly blew up in her face with Scalia’s commitment to Indiana lol. But I think the upshot here is just how excited people are for this class, and now apparently all of her players will be athletes she herself has recruited. So, we’ll see!
Recruiting players hasn't been the issue. Whalen has a very strong personality and butts heads with her players. It's not the first time she's lost several players to transfer and not the first time players left mid season.

Whalen is going to have to learn to tone it down and practice some humility. That's not to say that Minnesota can't be good with Whalen. I just don't see it happening next year. Maybe an NIT birth is possible but I think the lack of experience will hurt them.

Another losing season and the AD could lose patience and decide to go in another direction.

Recruiting players hasn't been the issue. Whalen has a very strong personality and butts heads with her players. It's not the first time she's lost several players to transfer and not the first time players left mid season.

Whalen is going to have to learn to tone it down and practice some humility. That's not to say that Minnesota can't be good with Whalen. I just don't see it happening next year. Maybe an NIT birth is possible but I think the lack of experience will hurt them.

Another losing season and the AD could lose patience and decide to go in another direction.
Totally agree with everything you said here lol.

Very interesting to note that Ava Heiden’s twitter likes are massively in favor of Iowa. Went through all her likes in August and it’s either not team college associated likes or its Iowa.
Got to see her play a little bit recently and she reminded me a lot of Gustafson. Pretty sure Iowa would be thrilled to get her.

Got to see her play a little bit recently and she reminded me a lot of Gustafson. Pretty sure Iowa would be thrilled to get her.
This should encourage some folks who were concerned that Bluder wasn't pursuing post players. We all have to acknowledge that Coach and staff are not going to volunteer everything they're working on. I've looked at a few of Ava's vids, I love her defensive intensity, eager to block shots, something the team really needs. Comfortable shooting with either hand, pretty quick and good handles for a 6'4" HS player. Jensen would be a great mentor, and Ava could be the next great Iowa post following Addison. We're already looking a little stronger inside w/ Addy, Hannah, and Jada. I'm hoping that her paint intensity and strength might translate to a better rebounding team, esp. on the O end. Thus help the Hawks compete against the SC, UCONN, and Stanford-level programs. IF: she chooses Iowa. C'mon Ava!

Last edited:
This is quite a litmus test for Illinois' new coach. Even though the season hasn't started, she is already a breath of fresh air for that program. I'm optimistic for IL tbh -- it's been a dumpster fire for just so long.

She has a whole new philosophy and brought some players with her from Dayton. I suspect IL will not finish last in the B1G this year -- I wouldn't be surprised if they have a couple big wins...could see them being like MN or PSU last year, tbh. I could very well see them leapfrogging WI, Purdue, PSU, MN in terms of growth in the next few seasons if things go according to her plan. But let's hope that an uptick at IL doesn't result in a downtick in our recruiting in that area lol.

Anyway, getting Jasmine Brown would be quite a shot in the arm for them. Again, I can't blame Brown for wanting to lead a program. It does sound like she wants to be the CC of wherever she goes. That's potentially to our detriment. TBH our biggest obstacle to getting her may be the fact that there will def be a year of overlap with CC -- perhaps two. But hopefully she can see that there's no way to become the best player she can be then playing against the best player in the country everyday for a year or two. I could also very much see her starting for us at the 2 in her sophomore year (after Davis graduates, but she would compete with McCabe for the top spot), if she's willing to play that position.

But if Brown chooses IL she will inevitably have a rough start. They're not gonna have anyone else of her caliber, so basically the success of the program will be highly contingent on her progress. And even then, if she has no one to back her up, it'll be frustrating. I could very much see her having a career like McKenna Marisa or Sara Scalia at IL.

If we're able to pick up Brown and Heiden, we would be set up for a very exciting next few years -- our defensive ability would increase well over 100%. That would be 3 or 4 Top 50 recruits alongside CC for a year or two, Even after CC graduates, the potential for a roster of Brown + Heiden alongside Jones, Stuelke, Feuerbach, McCabe, Gyamfi, O'Grady, Edigar is really, really exciting. Balanced, tough, quick, defensive, athletic....

Sending good vibes toward Bluder and the rest of the staf!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BDJHawk

Kennise Johnson-Etienne and Jasmine Brown play for Example. Interesting to note 4 of Brown’s top 6 are listed here.

Reactions: shikreto
Hargrove's recruitment has been interesting. Based on the highlights I've seen she looks like a dynamic athlete I want Iowa to land. But most of her recent offers have come from mid-majors and Indiana is the only other major program that has offered.

Do Iowa and Indiana just see something that other big programs don't? Is she more of a raw prospect that might not play early at P5 schools (leading mid-majors to think they have a chance?).

This is good news. The crowd will be crazy. Can I assume Iowa would take both Bjorn and Greenway in that class?
As high as they are both currently ranked they would be crazy not to. Also, Bjorn is probably 6' now and Greenway is closer to 5'6". Different skill sets. Bjorn will end up with offers from most, if not all of the "blue bloods" in womens basketball before it all said and done. She is the real deal.

Is Nebraska the team to beat for Britt Prince? An acquintance who is a Nebraska alum seems pretty confident Amy Williams' full court press to keep her home is working.

• Angry
Reactions: FrankBurns00
Hargrove's recruitment has been interesting. Based on the highlights I've seen she looks like a dynamic athlete I want Iowa to land. But most of her recent offers have come from mid-majors and Indiana is the only other major program that has offered.

Do Iowa and Indiana just see something that other big programs don't? Is she more of a raw prospect that might not play early at P5 schools (leading mid-majors to think they have a chance?).
Gophers have also offered Hargrove.

Although it sucks that she won't be a Hawk, seeing her in the Big Ten is nice. It seems like big-time recruits are starting to join more B1G teams which will help us overall become a stronger and tougher conference. You only want to go against the best. I'm very curious to see how Iowa's 2024 class pans out with Olson going to Michigan and possibly Britt Prince going to Nebraska.

Reactions: shikreto
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT