ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

A small class of 2023 recruits may be a blessing in disguise thanks to COVID years. I think Warnock, Davis, Feuerbach, and obvi Clark would all be welcome back for a 5th yr and I think that would really help fill any glaring holes we may have.

Wetering and Goodman still have 4 years of eligibility, while Feuerbach will have 3 after this upcoming RS yr.

Plus the transfer portal completely turns recruiting and how we measure classes on its head. ISU had its best recruiting class ever in 2020, now 2 of those 4 recruits have transferred. IU and MD just transferred in replacements for every hole in their roster for ‘22-‘23. We may be a bit light on some reserves come ‘24-‘25 but I’m not too worried yet.ss
Following up on this -- today Bluder pointed out that we will be hearing a lot about Molly Davis this season, and that she has two seaons of eligibility left...I think it's safe to assume that means she'll be using both of them.

Start closing the deal Lisa. This year could be your best year. Take advantage of your generational talent.

Who do you all want the most for 2023 and 2024 to fill the roster. Just curious!

Yes. They were at Creighton, Iowa and now Iowa State together. I don’t know the connection between the two that would lead to a close relationship.
Bjorn has played/subbed with Pure Prep on Jenica's team in the past and they are good friends. Definitely not a package deal or anything like that as far as I know. Both are national recruits and are only freshman. Neither will be in a hurry to commit and you could see them post about 40+ visits each in the next few years. They will be all over the place checking out programs.

Start closing the deal Lisa. This year could be your best year. Take advantage of your generational talent.
Will be interesting to see if Bluder/Jensen and company can leverage CC and the uptick of the last 4 years to snag athletic, national recruits. I’m skeptical about their ability to do so, after 20+ years of generally recruiting a different kind of player. But I’m a fan of the serious efforts they are making to up their recruiting game. If they strike out, it won’t be for lack of effort. Jasmine Brown is a good test case.

Reactions: trohrbeck
Will be interesting to see if Bluder/Jensen and company can leverage CC and the uptick of the last 4 years to snag athletic, national recruits. I’m skeptical about their ability to do so, after 20+ years of generally recruiting a different kind of player. But I’m a fan of the serious efforts they are making to up their recruiting game. If they strike out, it won’t be for lack of effort. Jasmine Brown is a good test case.
At this point with Caitlin I think it's safe to put Iowa (and ISU for that matter) in the second tier of teams in womens hoops behind all the known teams. The difference will continue to be in size and athleticism and until Bluder and company can land a couple big, physical, athletic girls who can score and defend Iowa will struggle to make the leap to the elite level. She has always found kids who can get the ball in the hoop but has rarely had a team deep and athletic enough to get stops when it matters. I think they have been able to set their sights higher and wade in the deeper pool recruiting wise with the uptick Caitlin has provided. I just hope they are able to land a kid or two to continue to raise the national profile. With all the nationally televised games for the program this winter they should be on display for many to see.

Jasmine Brown should be making a decision soon (next 3-4 weeks). Her plan was to take official visits to 4 of her top 6 schools, so it is not a surprise things have gone quiet on that front. Likely not wanting to publicize which two of the 6 are out.

Reactions: Torg
Jasmine Brown should be making a decision soon (next 3-4 weeks). Her plan was to take official visits to 4 of her top 6 schools, so it is not a surprise things have gone quiet on that front. Likely not wanting to publicize which two of the 6 are out.
Perhaps I missed it, but has she taken an OV to Iowa, or have one scheduled?

Perhaps I missed it, but has she taken an OV to Iowa, or have one scheduled?
She was on an unofficial visit to Iowa back in July and Bluder did an in-home visit back in March.

As I said, I think she is keeping official visits quiet.

Reactions: Torg
She was on an unofficial visit to Iowa back in July and Bluder did an in-home visit back in March.

As I said, I think she is keeping official visits quiet.
Do I recall correctly that Brown said she would take an OV to the school she was going to commit to? So no OV to Iowa would be bad news, correct?

Do I recall correctly that Brown said she would take an OV to the school she was going to commit to? So no OV to Iowa would be bad news, correct?
Yes. She said she was going to take an OV to 4 of her top 6 and chose from those 4.

At this point with Caitlin I think it's safe to put Iowa (and ISU for that matter) in the second tier of teams in womens hoops behind all the known teams. The difference will continue to be in size and athleticism and until Bluder and company can land a couple big, physical, athletic girls who can score and defend Iowa will struggle to make the leap to the elite level. She has always found kids who can get the ball in the hoop but has rarely had a team deep and athletic enough to get stops when it matters. I think they have been able to set their sights higher and wade in the deeper pool recruiting wise with the uptick Caitlin has provided. I just hope they are able to land a kid or two to continue to raise the national profile. With all the nationally televised games for the program this winter they should be on display for many to see.
I think that one of the two big, physical, athletic girls that you are wishing for has now just arrived. Freshman Hannah Stuelke has the talent and skills that the team desperately needs more than anything - interior defense and rebounding. That is why I believe she has a chance to make an immediate impact on the team this season. I have a very good feeling about her.
Speaking of Hannah, did anyone hear her name mentioned today?

Last edited:
I think that one of the two big, physical, athletic girls that you are wishing for has now arrived. Freshman Hannah Stuelke has the talent and skills that the team desperately needs more than anything - interior defense and rebounding. That is why I believe she has a chance to make an immediate impact on the team this season. I have a very good feeling about her.
Speaking of Hannah, did anyone hear her name mentioned today?
Bluder mentioned the newcomers who would help. She said you’ll see a lot of Davis and then talked about Hannah and Taylor.

Reactions: Torg and cyberhawk
Yes. She said she was going to take an OV to 4 of her top 6 and chose from those 4.
From your responses, is it fair to say you know something about Brown's recruitment that you are not presently at liberty to share?

From your responses, is it fair to say you know something about Brown's recruitment that you are not presently at liberty to share?
I don’t know anything more than I am saying. I know she wants to make decision before the first signing day. I know she was planning to take four official visits. I do not know if she has taken an OV to Iowa.

Reactions: AMAYS
No, she mentioned this in her interview with Kyle over the summer.

Weirdly though her mother (who typically posts photos of every visit they take) hasn't posted much recently. Perhaps they didn't do as many visits as they had planned. Trips to Mississippi, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, and East Lansing would get expensive after all.

As time goes on, I'm not feeling too confident about our chances with her...3 of her other choices have brand new coaches with grand, shiny visions for the future. She'd immediately be the star PG and would start as a freshman. It seems like she wants to be the CC for a team. I think playing backup or even alongside CC for two years might be a bit of a no-go for her.

Of her six finalists, we're offering the most balanced offense, the most consistently successful/stable staff (and roster -- hardly any transfers out), the highest recent rankings, as well as the chance to play alongside her best friend, Oh, and a reasonable (but not insignificant) drive from home.

A lot of recruits would jump at that combo...I'm feeling like if that's what she wanted, she would have committed by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyberhawk
No, she mentioned this in her interview with Kyle over the summer.

Weirdly though her mother (who typically posts photos of every visit they take) hasn't posted much recently. Perhaps they didn't do as many visits as they had planned. Trips to Mississippi, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, and East Lansing would get expensive after all.

As time goes on, I'm not feeling too confident about our chances with her...3 of her other choices have brand new coaches with grand, shiny visions for the future. She'd immediately be the star PG and would start as a freshman. It seems like she wants to be the CC for a team. I think playing backup or even alongside CC for two years might be a bit of a no-go for her.

Of her six finalists, we're offering the most balance offense, the most consistently successful/stable staff (and roster -- hardly any transfers out), the highest recent rankings, as well as the chance to play alongside her best friend, Oh, and a reasonable (but not insignificant) drive from home.

A lot of recruits would jump at that combo...I'm feeling like if that's what she wanted, she would have committed by now.
Mississippi State being in her top 6 was weird to me because they offered pretty late with the new coaching staff and she hadn’t visited.

Overall, it’s hard for me to say if I think she is going to pick Iowa or not. It’s not football or MBB where there are sources upon sources with knowledge of players recruitments.

For most of these girls, I’m the first person to ever ask to do an article on their recruitment that isn’t a hometown newspaper.

Mississippi State being in her top 6 was weird to me because they offered pretty late with the new coaching staff and she hadn’t visited.

Overall, it’s hard for me to say if I think she is going to pick Iowa or not. It’s not football or MBB where there are sources upon sources with knowledge of players recruitments.

For most of these girls, I’m the first person to ever ask to do an article on their recruitment that isn’t a hometown newspaper.
I decided to check in on her mom and she retweeted someone who said she is down to 5, Pitt is apparently out.

Also, Ava Heiden continues to like tweets about the team :)

Reactions: HIWILLE

I was wondering about your last sentence, how many websites / teams have a reporter devoted to women's basketball or any women's sports??
Do you ever get the feeling that when you interview these ladies that it makes any difference to them or are they surprised that 'Iowa' has someone wanting to interview them? 'If Iowa has a reporter asking about possible recruits then they must have some great fans!'

Thanks for the coverage and your work!!

I was wondering about your last sentence, how many websites / teams have a reporter devoted to women's basketball or any women's sports??
Do you ever get the feeling that when you interview these ladies that it makes any difference to them or are they surprised that 'Iowa' has someone wanting to interview them? 'If Iowa has a reporter asking about possible recruits then they must have some great fans!'

Thanks for the coverage and your work!!
In general, I'd say they are pretty excited that someone is asking to interview them for a recruiting article. How much does it matter to them? I'd imagine in varies. No recruit is picking Iowa because I wrote and article, but it shows that Iowa cares about women's sports.

In general, I'd say they are pretty excited that someone is asking to interview them for a recruiting article. How much does it matter to them? I'd imagine in varies. No recruit is picking Iowa because I wrote and article, but it shows that Iowa cares about women's sports.
as does having the only P5 women’s wrestling team

Disclaimer: team success is not always a top reason for recruits to commit to a particular school.

That said, it is worth mentioning that all of Brown's other Top 6 schools are either really bad or trending down recently. Illinois and Pitt have been bad for a while. Rutgers fell apart last year and now is trying to replace a legendary coach. Michigan State missed the tournament last year and seems to be trending down. And Mississippi State were national title contenders under Vic Schaefer, but have now missed the last couple NCAA Tournaments.

Maybe the new coaches can sell a new direction for their programs, but Iowa seems far better situated for future team success at the moment.

No inside info but Illinois is the team I fear the most in the Brown sweepstakes. Close to. home, young dynamic coach and part of building a new culture in your home state.

Reactions: mphawk and shikreto
No inside info but Illinois is the team I fear the most in the Brown sweepstakes. Close to. home, young dynamic coach and part of building a new culture in your home state.
I tend to agree, their new coach from Dayton. 3 time coach of the year for their conference. On paper looks like a good hire, hope not

Reactions: BDJHawk
Good for them. These girls deserve to get more coverage.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT