ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Not surprised at all, but I do find it funny that she has narrowed it to 4 programs that have all hit rock bottom.

Can’t argue with that logic tbh — she wants to build something. Iowa is clearly not what she’s looking for. I hope it works out for her….we all know that the odds are stacked against all of those teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: BDJHawk
No surprise, at this point. Missing on Williams and Brown, together with Ava Jones' accident, makes for a disappointing and underwhelming 2023 recruiting class. Perhaps the portal will be an option next Spring? Will also be interesting to see if Iowa scored an evaluation victory in terms of Kennise Johnson-Etienne, because she had relatively minimal P6 (basketball equivalent of power 5) interest.

No surprise, at this point. Missing on Williams and Brown, together with Ava Jones' accident, makes for a disappointing and underwhelming 2023 recruiting class. Perhaps the portal will be an option next Spring? Will also be interesting to see if Iowa scored an evaluation victory in terms of Kennise Johnson-Etienne, because she had relatively minimal P6 (basketball equivalent of power 5) interest.
I’m rly not too worried. We have depth at every position heading into next year and four players who will have two extra years of eligibility. The portal will always be an option and based on the past two years I don’t think LB will hesitate to look for one or two prospects to help address any possible gaps, perhaps even from those who are entering their freshman year and passed on Iowa in the past.

This is Jasmine Brown’s mom. Iowa is seemingly still in the mix? I had wondered if JB (understandably) misspoke when she outlined her plans about official visits….aren’t OVs at the discretion / budget of the school (not the athlete)?

For the record, I’d still be surprised if she picked Iowa.

Last edited:
Fun little tidbit about another of JB’s finalists (who were picked to finish dead last in the ACC btw)…

Furthermore if B1G did a full slate poll (not just Top 5), Illinois and Rutgers would probably come in at 13th and 14th.

This is Jasmine Brown’s mom. Iowa is seemingly still in the mix? I had wondered if JB (understandably) misspoke when she outlined her plans about official visits….aren’t OVs at the discretion / budget of the school (not the athlete)?

I really don't think it's going to be Iowa. I get the feeling based on her list that she's looking for guaranteed playing time and she won't get that right away at Iowa.

I think it comes down to Illinois and Rutgers.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I really don't think it's going to be Iowa. I get the feeling based on her list that she's looking for guaranteed playing time and she won't get that right away at Iowa.
This was why I was so shocked to hear her speak so highly at the possibility of playing with and learning from Clark in that podcast. Based on everything I had read about her, it seemed she hoped to be her own version of Clark—right away, as a starter. I had assumed Clark’s presence would be a non-starter for her.

This is her exact quote to me…

“Out of my six, four will get an official visit and one of those four will be the school I am going to,”

This is her exact quote to me…

“Out of my six, four will get an official visit and one of those four will be the school I am going to,”
DAE find that weird? I thought schools had a finite number of OVs to give out. I’m doubtful LB would even offer an OV to JB considering she is from so close and our recruiting radius has grown so much… would that mean that we were never really a contender?

DAE find that weird? I thought schools had a finite number of OVs to give out. I’m doubtful LB would even offer an OV to JB considering she is from so close and our recruiting radius has grown so much… would that mean that we were never really a contender?
The only restriction I'm aware of is that athletes are only allowed to take 5 official visits. That's why I continue to be amazed at how many visits Britt Prince has taken all over the country. Most or all of those are at her family's expense.

I think we were a contender. No reason to mention a top 6 and go on unofficial visits if there wasn't some interest. Sometimes players just want to go other places. As others have said, if early playing time is something that she wants more than anything else, any of the other options are likely better than Iowa for it.

Recruits are limited to 5 official visits that are paid for by the school that they are visiting. They can visit an unlimited amount of schools as long it is at their own expense.

Recruits are limited to 5 official visits that are paid for by the school that they are visiting. They can visit an unlimited amount of schools as long it is at their own expense.
Is there not a limit on how many SAs a school can pay for in a year? I was under the impression there was a finite number, but obviously I could be wrong.

Is there not a limit on how many SAs a school can pay for in a year? I was under the impression there was a finite number, but obviously I could be wrong.

I believe schools are limited to 12 official visits from Aug 1 - July 31 each year.

That is for basketball, of course, I think football gets more than 50.

Reactions: shikreto
Does anyone have a sense of what Coach B might try to pursue if JB commits elsewhere? With the loss of JB and Ava J, it leaves several roster spots open for 2023. There are still several top 60 G/F's on hoopgurlz who are not committed: Three 6'2" F's; Prosper (Canada) Kitts (Fla) and Thomas (DC) and guards Reynolds (MD) Okananwa (MA) Nichols (KS). (I'm leaving out the 5'6" guards). Iowa State landed 3 top-57 prospects in this class; I don't think the Hawks can afford to stand pat. I doubt Coach B is necessarily looking for another post, but 6'6" Cherry-Montague (NJ) is still uncommitted. The fact that these players are still available this late in the recruiting season indicates to me that there's still a chance. I do believe that with our pre-season rank and national exposure, that the Hawks should go hard after those players. Maybe our best chance is S'Maya Nichols, the 5'11" wing from KS, a strong-bodied competitor that looks like a great passer and would fit well in Bluder's system. Otherwise, who knows who might show up in the portal. But we're still searching for those great PG's to follow Caitlin. (Although #1 Judea Watkins has not committed either) C'mon Juju!

Last edited:
Does anyone have a sense of what Coach B might try to pursue if JB commits elsewhere? With the loss of JB and Ava J, it leaves several roster spots open for 2023. There are still several top 60 G/F's on hoopgurlz who are not committed: Three 6'2" F's; Prosper (Canada) Kitts (Fla) and Thomas (DC) and guards Reynolds (MD) Okananwa (MA) Nichols (KS). (I'm leaving out the 5'6" guards). Iowa State landed 3 top-57 prospects in this class; I don't think the Hawks can afford to stand pat. I doubt Coach B is necessarily looking for another post, but 6'6" Cherry-Montague (NJ) is still uncommitted. The fact that these players are still available this late in the recruiting season indicates to me that there's still a chance. I do believe that with our pre-season rank and national exposure, that the Hawks should go hard after those players. Maybe our best chance is S'Maya Nichols, the 5'11" wing from KS, a strong-bodied competitor that looks like a great passer and would fit well in Bluder's system. Otherwise, who knows who might show up in the portal. But we're still searching for those great PG's to follow Caitlin. (Although #1 Judea Watkins has not committed either) C'mon Juju!
Most if not all of these girls have announced finalists. They’re not coming to Iowa.

I’ll say it again, I’m really not worried. We should have at least 10 returners next year and KJE. I’d be shocked if Davis doesn’t return for a 5th yr. So we should have at least 2 players at every position:

PG: CC, KJE, MD
SG: SA, TM
SF: KF, SW
PF: HS, JG
C: AO, SG

As we all know, many of those players can play multiple positions, this is just simplifying things. Assuming AJ is redshirting, we’ll say that’s 12 of 15 spots filled (with SAs all of us have been itching to see on the floor; I might add).

If LB feels we have a gap, she will find someone in the portal just like she did with Davis. I’m more excited about the possibility of an impact transfer due to our program’s current cachet than the possibility of signing a random HS freshman tbh. We will be more in need of experience than raw talent with so much turnover anyway IMHO. As we saw in the off season, SAs like the idea of filling a need at a successful program. IU, MD, Mich had no problem reloading after losing/graduating star players.

And lets not forget that LB may very well ask one of MW, KM, or GM to take their COVID yr. We will not be in need of talent at any spot in ‘23-‘24. In ‘24-‘25 the only player who might graduate would be CC, who will also have a COVID year.

If we only have 13 or 14 spots filled on the roster in ‘23-‘24, it will be bc LB wants it that way (historically, she hasn’t typically felt the need to fill all 15 spots).

And I’d be really really surprised if JB picks Iowa.

Last edited:
I’ll say it again, I’m really not worried. We should have at least 10 returners next year and KJE. I’d be shocked if Davis doesn’t return for a 5th yr. So we should have at least 2 players at every position:

PG: CC, KJE, MD
SG: SA, TM
SF: KF, SW
PF: HS, JG
C: AO, SG

As we all know, many of those players can play multiple positions, this is just simplifying things. Assuming AJ is redshirting, we’ll say that’s 12 of 15 spots filled (with SAs all of us have been itching to see on the floor; I might add).

If LB feels we have a gap, she will find someone in the portal just like she did with Davis. I’m more excited about the possibility of an impact transfer due to our program’s current cachet than the possibility of signing a random HS freshman tbh. We will be more in need of experience than raw talent with so much turnover anyway IMHO. As we saw in the off season, SAs like the idea of filling a need at a successful program. IU, MD, Mich had no problem reloading after losing/graduating star players.

And lets not forget that LB may very well ask one of MW, KM, or GM to take their COVID yr. We will not be in need of talent at any spot in ‘23-‘24. In ‘24-‘25 the only player who might graduate would be CC, who will also have a COVID year.

If we only have 13 or 14 spots filled on the roster in ‘23-‘24, it will be bc LB wants it that way (historically, she hasn’t typically felt the need to fill all 15 spots).

And I’d be really really surprised if JB picks Iowa.
Syd is a 3 not a 2. More likely that Kylie would start at the two if 100% healthy but don't discount Taylor McCabe. Syd will have to improve her shooting. She's a good rebounder and good athlete but you have to be a perimeter threat to play the 2 in Bluder's system. I think Syd will have an opportunity to start at the 3 next year. A lot depends on the development of Wettering/Stuelke/Gyamfi. Bluder will go with the best combination of players.

I also believe Molly Davis is going to be the primary backup at the 1 and 2 next season. KJE will get spot minutes but she won't supplant a 5th year season for playing time.

Also expect most of the positions to be fairly fluid. Bluder has built a roster with many moving parts. We'll likely see Clark moving around between the 1 and 2 as well as seeing many players rotating through the 2-3 and 4-5 spots.

Reactions: natchrlman
Schools are limited in how many official visitors they can bring in for one class, but if I remember it's a pretty high number that most schools don't hit their allotment of. As others have pointed out, players are limited to the number of official visits they can take (where the school pays) but are unlimited on unofficial visits (where player pays).

This was why I was so shocked to hear her speak so highly at the possibility of playing with and learning from Clark in that podcast. Based on everything I had read about her, it seemed she hoped to be her own version of Clark—right away, as a starter. I had assumed Clark’s presence would be a non-starter for her.
If she's that good, why couldn't she be on the floor with Clark?

Syd is a 3 not a 2. More likely that Kylie would start at the two if 100% healthy but don't discount Taylor McCabe. Syd will have to improve her shooting. She's a good rebounder and good athlete but you have to be a perimeter threat to play the 2 in Bluder's system. I think Syd will have an opportunity to start at the 3 next year. A lot depends on the development of Wettering/Stuelke/Gyamfi. Bluder will go with the best combination of players.

I also believe Molly Davis is going to be the primary backup at the 1 and 2 next season. KJE will get spot minutes but she won't supplant a 5th year season for playing time.

Also expect most of the positions to be fairly fluid. Bluder has built a roster with many moving parts. We'll likely see Clark moving around between the 1 and 2 as well as seeing many players rotating through the 2-3 and 4-5 spots.
All great info! My point still stands tho lol. I’m just really not worried about LB not signing anyone more to the ‘23 recruiting class.

Jasmine Brown’s current Insta story officially rules out any possibility of her committing to Iowa. She has a countdown to her commitment featuring photos of the 4 contenders Kyle mentioned previously.

Lets wish her luck! She is taking on a challenge and her commitment to any of her finalists will be a shot in the arm to a struggling program. I look forward to seeing her play on the court! Im sure she’ll go far.

And lets not forget, with the portal what it is, we may hear more from her again someday.

Last edited:
One more tidbit. I wouldn't worry about ISU’s recruits — their ‘20 recruiting class was their best in history and half of them transferred (one is now a Hawkeye :)

Kitts committed to South Carolina.

Reactions: Kurt Johnson
Jasmine Brown took an official visit to Mississippi State. Down to Iowa, Illinois and Michigan State for the final official visit.
And Mississippi State it is. I sure didn't see that one coming.

Edit: It sounds like she has family in Mississippi. Plus, she wanted to go somewhere that she would have an immediate impact.

Last edited:
At least its not a Big10 competitor.
I go back and forth on this. While the Big Ten has been on an upswing, its recruiting remains second tier. Really hard for the Big Ten to get to the Final 4 without higher level athletes, the kind that tend to turn down the Big Ten for the ACC, SEC, PAC-12, Big 12 and UCONN. In some ways, I think the whole league would benefit if Tessa Johnson had chosen Minnesota (rather than South Carolina), Kamorea Arnold had chosen Wisconsin (rather than UCONN), Sahara Williams had chosen Iowa (not Oklahoma), and Jasmine Brown had chosen Illinois (not Mississippi State).

Last edited:
I go back and forth on this. While the Big Ten has been on an upswing, its recruiting remains second tier. Really hard for the Big Ten to get to the Final 4 without higher level athletes, the kind that tend to turn down the Big Ten for the ACC, SEC, PAC-12, Big 12 and UCONN. In some ways, I think the whole league would benefit if Tessa Johnson had chosen Minnesota (rather than South Carolina), Kamorea Arnold had chosen Wisconsin (rather than UCONN), Sahara Williams had chosen Iowa (not Oklahoma), and Jasmine Brown had chosen Illinois (not Mississippi State).
On the same note, look at how much Caitlin committing to Iowa has benefited the league. I’m sure Olivia Olson committing to Michigan will have the same impact once she starts playing college ball.

Reactions: shikreto and AMAYS
On the same note, look at how much Caitlin committing to Iowa has benefited the league. I’m sure Olivia Olson committing to Michigan will have the same impact once she starts playing college ball.
Very good point. You would think Caitlin would help the Big Ten as a whole be attractive to McDonald AA types, but the Big Ten struck out in the ‘21 and ‘22 classes, though the Big Ten has secured some transfers who were McDonald AAs.

As of yet and I emphasize as of yet , Caitlin has not even helped Iowa recruiting. This of course could change.
Generally agree, but perhaps Ava Heiden is a recruit Iowa wouldn’t have snagged without an improved national profile due in large part to Caitlin Clark. I get that Heiden is rightly impressed by Jan as a post coach, but going to Oregon is way out of the typical Bluder footprint. Also, unlike O’Grady, Heiden has no family from Iowa (that I know of). Still, the promise of CC as a pied piper for recruits has yet to be fulfilled.

Reactions: shikreto
ADVERTISEMENT