ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2022/11/09/hawkeyes-ink-johnson-and-jones-on-national-signing-day/

Kennise Johnson Etienne is listed as 5-4 in the article. I read earlier articles that had her as 5-8. On a positive note, she is approaching Tania Davis status, with the short bounces, it will be hard to swipe the ball away from her when she's dribbling.
So let's say she's 5'6". If KFE is super quick, it might make up for her lack of size but also a possible D liability.

One more tidbit. I wouldn't worry about ISU’s recruits — their ‘20 recruiting class was their best in history and half of them transferred (one is now a Hawkeye :)
Shikreto; You've responded a few times about posted concerns around 2023 recruiting; saying you're "not worried" about about our relatively empty 2023 class. I agree that Iowa still looks good next year, but recruiting classes are about 4- 5 years forward. At this point we still have just one top-100 player (Heiden) recruited for both '23 and '24; and currently lag significantly behind ranked competition. We still have 4 open roster spots for '23, and 3 open in '24. Only 6 players listed for '24. Please forgive any of us who are not immediately assuaged by your lack of worry, as we proceed with our concerns, suggestions, and discussion.

Reactions: undersized_post
Shikreto; You've responded a few times about posted concerns around 2023 recruiting; saying you're "not worried" about about our relatively empty 2023 class. I agree that Iowa still looks good next year, but recruiting classes are about 4- 5 years forward. At this point we still have just one top-100 player (Heiden) recruited for both '23 and '24; and currently lag significantly behind ranked competition. We still have 4 open roster spots for '23, and 3 open in '24. Only 6 players listed for '24. Please forgive any of us who are not immediately assuaged by your lack of worry, as we proceed with our concerns, suggestions, and discussion.
Hm….did I tell anyone not to proceed with concerns, suggestions, or discussion?

Where are you coming up with 4 open roster spots in 2023?

We have 10 underclassman on roster right now. Davis has already stated she plans to be here 2 years, so that would make 11 players returning. Ava Jones and Kennise Johnson-Etienne make 13. And that's assuming all of Martin, Warnock, and Marshall move on, which I don't think is certain.

Where are you coming up with 4 open roster spots in 2023?

We have 10 underclassman on roster right now. Davis has already stated she plans to be here 2 years, so that would make 11 players returning. Ava Jones and Kennise Johnson-Etienne make 13. And that's assuming all of Martin, Warnock, and Marshall move on, which I don't think is certain.
Hey Braydon. Thanks; after your question, I looked up my source and noticed it didn't include Davis, for whatever reason. But like others in this thread; I'm not counting Ava Jones on the assumption that the U, or NCAA will figure out way to not penalize the program for honoring her scholarship.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Hey Braydon. Thanks; after your question, I looked up my source and noticed it didn't include Davis, for whatever reason. But like others in this thread; I'm not counting Ava Jones on the assumption that the U, or NCAA will figure out way to not penalize the program for honoring her scholarship.

Bluder has stated many many many times in the past that she does NOT like having a full roster of 15 players (too hard to keep all 15 happy). The Covid extra year has thrown a wrench into things and expanded our current roster size.

I bring this up because I don't believe that Bluder is at all worried about Ava Jones using one of the 15 spots.

Bluder has stated many many many times in the past that she does NOT like having a full roster of 15 players (too hard to keep all 15 happy). The Covid extra year has thrown a wrench into things and expanded our current roster size.

I bring this up because I don't believe that Bluder is at all worried about Ava Jones using one of the 15 spots.
I wasn't suggesting that Coach should fill all 15 slots; just reviewing what's available over the next few years.

I wasn't suggesting that Coach should fill all 15 slots; just reviewing what's available over the next few years.
Yeah, I just pointing out that it is not a problem having Ava on a regular scholarship. The NCAA wouldn't be penalizing Iowa because the scholarship that Ava will use will not be needed for another potential player.

Reactions: cyberhawk
#4 player in Wisconsin?🤔
She’s one that I’ve watched play a couple of times. Very good ball handler and passer. Not Caitlin Clark level court vision yet, but she makes some passes that will impress you. She told me she’s working on improving her shot, but she can score on all three levels (drive, midrange, 3pt).

2024 class is interesting because they already have two commits, but Stremlow, Douglas, Spreen, Hargrove, Mallegni and Poole are on the board still. Don’t think Prince and Ziebell are candidates at this point.

Blue Star has updated some of their rankings, and now ranks Kennise as the #99 player in the 2023 class. I take this with a grain of salt, because Blue Star's scope or reach seems limited sometimes. Still, of recent Iowa players, Blue Star was a positive outlier in their ranking of Kathleen Doyle, ranking her #20.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Blue Star has updated some of their rankings, and now ranks Kennise as the #99 player in the 2023 class. I take this with a grain of salt, because Blue Star's scope or reach seems limited sometimes. Still, of recent Iowa players, Blue Star was a positive outlier in their ranking of Kathleen Doyle, ranking her #20.
It's hard to know how much stock to put in recruiting rankings in WBB. AJ Ediger hasn't looked as good as her ranking suggested, but how would she look as the 5 in a 5-out offense like Drake or Creighton run? Was Monika severely underrated or did the coaches just help her reach her best possible development outcome?

So with Twitter going down, does this mean recruiting information is going to be nearly impossible to find now?

ADVERTISEMENT