ADVERTISEMENT

New Joe T Video

Apologies if posted. Love this guys game. Will be an immediate contributor!
I like his quick release, and he gets to the basket nicely. Some of those moves might be a bit of a struggle for him in the college game, but that's why I say play him right away and let him work out those kinks in the 'preseason'. Also, appears to have a bit of a swagger and toughness. Wonder if he won't be as likely to get knocked off his game by Big Ten guards; seems strong with the ball despite his size.

CJ could be a good player for us. But the departure of Moss really signals for me that JB is going to start at SG with Connor and JoeT taking over at PG. Fran has done this before. In 2015, arguably his best team, 2 PGs (Sapp and MG) had the starting spots. It was foreshadowed this past season as JB really tended to shine off the ball offensively. And we’ll need that consistently with Moss gone.

CJ could be a good player for us. But the departure of Moss really signals for me that JB is going to start at SG with Connor and JoeT taking over at PG. Fran has done this before. In 2015, arguably his best team, 2 PGs (Sapp and MG) had the starting spots. It was foreshadowed this past season as JB really tended to shine off the ball offensively. And we’ll need that consistently with Moss gone.
I think you are on to something. In previous end of game situations where Jordan took the last shot...Conner was in and Moss was on the bench. Conner is very good at getting the ball to people where they need to get it. I hate that Moss is leaving. Hate it. But we will adapt and be a different team, that's all.

The size of the defenders in the video seems pretty short. Unless I missed it, I didn’t see him dunk even on break aways. I like that he finished with either hand. He was much quicker than his defenders and seemed to be able to create for himself. He struck me as a shoot first guard based on this small sample size in the video. The key to his playing time will be his defense IMO. He had a lot of space when finishing at the rim. Will that translate against bigger defenders that will challenge those shots? Has anyone searched his free throw numbers? I think he sees time, but I don’t know if he’s a significant upgrade offensively against college level defenders.

I think the really good thing about this is we don't have to depend on a freshman to be the QB of the team. We have sufficient players at his position that the teams success isn't riding on his shoulders...and yet he clearly brings a different element to the position for our Hawks. His quickness should allow him to get into the lane and dish...and he scored going both right and left (it seemed that he was just as comfortable either way).

As mentioned above he hustled back on defense...in addition his quickness seems to make harassing a ball handler (and making some steals) a part of the game he is naturally inclined to.

He kind of reminds me of the Michigan PG (Zavier Simpson) in terms of how Simpson looked as a freshman...at that point not a great 3 pt shooter...just quick and a good ball handler.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I really like what I have seen in his tapes. Easily the quickest player Iowa has had in a long time with good handles. I am not sure about his shot or his commitment to defense, but he definitely brings something Iowa hasn't had. If he can play tough on-ball defense, he will play big minutes.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I think the really good thing about this is we don't have to depend on a freshman to be the QB of the team. We have sufficient players at his position that the teams success isn't riding on his shoulders...and yet he clearly brings a different element to the position for our Hawks. His quickness should allow him to get into the lane and dish...and he scored going both right and left (it seemed that he was just as comfortable either way).

As mentioned above he hustled back on defense...in addition his quickness seems to make harassing a ball handler (and making some steals) a part of the game he is naturally inclined to.

He kind of reminds me of the Michigan PG (Zavier Simpson) in terms of how Simpson looked as a freshman...at that point not a great 3 pt shooter...just quick and a good ball handler.

I’d say a little like Carson Edwards too. Kid plays fast and involves his teammates which is what Iowa needs with the departure of Cook and Moss.

Really warming on this kid. Great development to see ESPN raise his rank AFTER he signed with Iowa. It always goes the other way.

Quick, good handles but....tiny, a 55% FT shooter and no idea about his college level defense.

Jordan has been a point guard his entire career. If the last season showed anything, it Jordan is better with the ball. He was penetrating more and more effectively as this season wound down. I think he's going to have a monster senior season.

If C McC can develop some shooting skills having a combo guard opposite Jordan is the best scenario. Joey T can learn in 4 or 5 minute bursts like most freshmen on good teams.

Reactions: Hod
Watch the first bucket of the video. A good shoulder fake to buy some distance from the defender, then elevates for the jump shot.

He showed some more wiggle on a few other plays. That’s something we haven’t had in a while. Most of our guards are straight line drivers or just long range shooters.

The FT shooting should improve with some work. Woody improved a lot over his time and he started out worse. We probably won’t be counting on JT for end of game minutes this coming year, but the following year he needs to get that up to 70%.

A bit of a mini-Westbrook maybe. Good to see some outside shots go in - just needs to be good enough from the arc that guys come out to meet him, as he is really good at penetration and hitting floaters, finishing at the backboard with either hand, or dishing off. That floater is what Bohannon has been trying to work on, but he already has it. Looks able to absorb contact and still finish a play with either a shot or pass, so that is good.

Long term that 3 point shot will be pretty critical, or guys will just back off of him like they do Connor. Hard to leverage your athleticism if guys are 5 feet off you.

Granted its just a highlight video but I really like how he dribbles with his head-up at other end of court and looks to push the pace. Will be perfect for this offense. I'm imagining him pushing the pace and hitting Joe or JBo for fastbreak 3s.

A bit of a mini-Westbrook maybe. Good to see some outside shots go in - just needs to be good enough from the arc that guys come out to meet him, as he is really good at penetration and hitting floaters, finishing at the backboard with either hand, or dishing off. That floater is what Bohannon has been trying to work on, but he already has it. Looks able to absorb contact and still finish a play with either a shot or pass, so that is good.

Long term that 3 point shot will be pretty critical, or guys will just back off of him like they do Connor. Hard to leverage your athleticism if guys are 5 feet off you.
I see a Westbrook-esque style of play also

If he can guard then he is going to play. It will be really nice to have a pg come in when JoBo comes out that can push the pace. But he can't be a ghost on defense.

Ummm, his AAU coach said defense is his strength and compared him to all time steals leader Jevon Carter.

Reactions: jasonrann
Love this guy's game! I have from the second he was on Iowa's radar, or vice versa, I have followed Cardinal Hayes. Joe T's HS team... He is damn good. He is what Fran has needed for years. Finally.
But with all of our loss to the staff and team in the last 3 weeks, Sadly, he will be referred to as Token, unless Fran has several bros hanging in the wings. That does not set well with me. Nor a lot of people I have talked to.... Fran needs to balance out the team quickly. Sorry if that offends some, but I am just stating the truth of the situation.

Hopefully Fran gives him enough minutes to grow into his role as our primary PG for the long haul. I doubt that he redshirts. His quickness is probably his best asset along with his ability to finish with some contact. Seems to have great balance and adjusts well physically when he drives to the hole. If he can defend and drop dimes to his teammates he’ll be really special.

Reactions: Bro D
From this video and several others, it seems pretty clear that Joe is a really good finisher around the rim. That is something that Iowa has been missing from its PG for a long time. The comparisons to Westbrook are ridiculous though- Toussaint isn’t in the same stratosphere as Westbrook athletically, and he likely tops out as an above-average to good athlete at the Big Ten level. Let’s not go overboard here, folks.

Hopefully Fran gives him enough minutes to grow into his role as our primary PG for the long haul. I doubt that he redshirts. His quickness is probably his best asset along with his ability to finish with some contact. Seems to have great balance and adjusts well physically when he drives to the hole. If he can defend and drop dimes to his teammates he’ll be really special.

There is no way that Joe T redshirts. Anything less would be unacceptable.... That will not happen.

Watch some of his videos. You'll get the picture... We will love Joe T. Bank on it... The guy has what we need, immediately. As in yesterday....

Reactions: jasonrann and Bro D
I heard Kakert today on radio cautioning against hyping Joe T too much. Said he talked to Rivals east coast talent guy who said he was 4th best guard on his AAU team and that he struggles with shooting.
I hope he is great but do not think he will be an immediate starter...and still think he might have been a redshirt candidate if Moss had stayed.

Honestly, and really not trying to be negative here as he obviously has some skills, but I’m not sure how well his game will translate to any immediate impact as a freshman in the B1G.

Joe T will be the fastest person with the ball for Iowa, he will also improve Iowa's exterior defense. I hope that he is able to find a chemistry with the current team quickly - that is really what he'll need to establish this summer.

From this video and several others, it seems pretty clear that Joe is a really good finisher around the rim. That is something that Iowa has been missing from its PG for a long time. The comparisons to Westbrook are ridiculous though- Toussaint isn’t in the same stratosphere as Westbrook athletically, and he likely tops out as an above-average to good athlete at the Big Ten level. Let’s not go overboard here, folks.
I totally agree. But... you have to consider the context. For THIS Iowa team, JoeT’s something valuably different that can be used immediately.

I'm sure hutton, Fleming, meyer, Williams and Dailey to name a few all looked wonderful on their videos too. I'm not going to get too excited until I see him play a few games in a hawk uni.

Definitely not wowed by his offensive game but I've heard defense is his forte and I like that.

It's hard to tell allot from a highlight video but seems like he could bring a tough gritty element that Iowa hasn't had at the guard spot in a while.

Theres more ways than scoring to effect the game especially at the pg spot.

I like his handles, tenacity, court vision, and ability to get to the basket. If he does that for us, I can see a great career from the charity stripe also.

Love this guy's game! I have from the second he was on Iowa's radar, or vice versa, I have followed Cardinal Hayes. Joe T's HS team... He is damn good. He is what Fran has needed for years. Finally.
But with all of our loss to the staff and team in the last 3 weeks, Sadly, he will be referred to as Token, unless Fran has several bros hanging in the wings. That does not set well with me. Nor a lot of people I have talked to.... Fran needs to balance out the team quickly. Sorry if that offends some, but I am just stating the truth of the situation.

Sound like a bunch of A-holes. If they can ball who cares about skin color? There’s always comments until someone gets scored on beautifully or shut down on D. Ball don’t lie, and if someone can play then nobody should be talking ish from ancient history anyways.

Last edited:
Obviously Joe Toussaint is not Russell Westbrook. But he uses his quickness/athleticism/handles to get to the hoop, has great vision/passes well, and isn’t a good shooter. Heavy focus on defense also, much in the same way Russ is. Nobody is proclaiming him to be Iowa’s version of Russell Westbrook. It’s just a similar style of play.

This. It's obviously going to be ALL good plays on a highlight, but he finishes strong and knows how to create space against taller defenders. Will still have to adjust to the even taller and more athletic defenders in the B1G, like any other freshman. But he's an immediate contributer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT