ADVERTISEMENT

New Kickoff Rules

Feldbush

All-Conference
Sep 15, 2006
With the new kickoff rules which allows the returner to fair catch in the field of play and the ball is placed at the 25 yard line, what percentage of the time will Iowa utilize the fair catch? Here's a prediction of 30%.

With the new kickoff rules which allows the returner to fair catch in the field of play and the ball is placed at the 25 yard line, what percentage of the time will Iowa utilize the fair catch? Here's a prediction of 30%.
Making it more like flag football every year.

New rule. Kickoff at 50 yard line and squib or onside kick to start the next series. More players involved on special teams. More like arena ball.:rolleyes::eek:o_O;)

Been waiting for this post and the subsequent bashing. Assuming 50% of kickoffs are touchbacks anyway, I don't think saying 1/3 of the remainder will be fair catches is too far off. It will depend on how effective the return guys are, I suppose.

A very high percentage.

I'd like to see kickoffs removed from the game. Much higher concussion rates than other plays.
The new rules primarily just protects the returner. Unfortunately, the returner is rarely the guy who is on the receiving end of the biggest hits. The gunners and the guys who block them are the guys who experience the dangerous accelerations.

Guys still will need to run down the field in order to defend in case the guy tries to run .... and that still will lead to a lot of high-speed collisions.

Trying to look up data, for the NFL I found that in 2016 there were 244 concussions, only 20 of those occurred on a kickoff.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
8X more likely to get a concussion on kick returns vs. normal play. College and NFL have been researching this very topic for years. The kick-off will be gone in a few years. Mark it down.

Reactions: ichawk24
I can't take credit for this but I heard of a great idea when it comes to kickoffs plus it would do away with onside kicks.

After you score a TD, you get the ball at your own 40 and its 4th and 10 or 15. End of game situation, you go for it. Otherwise you have the option to punt.

Thoughts?

I can't take credit for this but I heard of a great idea when it comes to kickoffs plus it would do away with onside kicks.

After you score a TD, you get the ball at your own 40 and its 4th and 10 or 15. End of game situation, you go for it. Otherwise you have the option to punt.

Thoughts?

That sounds like the new football league's onside kickoff rule. In place of the onside kick the ball will be placed at your own 35, 4th and 10. Their claim is that the chances of recovering an onside kick are nearly identical to that of converting the 4th and 10. Not sure where the punt comes from in your version.

That sounds like the new football league's onside kickoff rule. In place of the onside kick the ball will be placed at your own 35, 4th and 10. Their claim is that the chances of recovering an onside kick are nearly identical to that of converting the 4th and 10. Not sure where the punt comes from in your version.

Well, if you have the lead in a game obviously you wouldn't go for it, you would just punt.

ADVERTISEMENT