ADVERTISEMENT

New lettering on Kinnick

coasterhawk75

HR Legend
Dec 2, 2001
Iowa City
I posted this in the Lounge...Figured I would share it here too.

65005690_10157176201218536_8866296685022674944_o.jpg

It’s so boring. Of course the archways and brick are cool. But, don’t you think it would look better with some stone or different colored brick added in spots?
It’s subjective but I like it as it was designed. To me, one of the cool things about Kinnick Stadium is the old blended with the new. If you walk 360° around it, you see original architecture blended with modern. I just think it is spectacular.

It’s subjective but I like it as it was designed. To me, one of the cool things about Kinnick Stadium is the old blended with the new. If you walk 360° around it, you see original architecture blended with modern. I just think it is spectacular.

I hear ya. I think it could use more character though. Imagine some of what Oklahoma did with their recent renovation on the east side of Kinnick.

UXOTSZBCXUNYGTS.20180424171257.jpg

I hear ya. I think it could use more character though. Imagine some of what Oklahoma did with their recent renovation on the east side of Kinnick.

I’ve been to Norman. Kinnick is better I’m my eyes. In fact, I don’t like the interior of Oklahoma.

But it’s VERY subjective and that photo is really good.

I’m an old school guy. I find beauty in Ryan Field and nobody ever says that.

Not exactly presenting the two equally, are you? One is a snapshot on a dreary day, while the other looks like a majorly photo-shopped promotional image.

The east side is the only original side left of Kinnick. I appreciate its simplicity. It represents the no-nonsense approach of the football program. If it eventually becomes necessary to replace it (and thus "spice it up") because of the need for renovations, then so be it. But no need to change it for the sake of change.

Couldn't agree more. The south endzone is a design fail. If the south endzone was identical to the north just imagine what that would look and sound like.
weren't we told that the south endzone could not have a steep incline because of new building rules (at that time)?

also, why they did not enclose it i will never understand

Reactions: Hawkeye_311
weren't we told that the south endzone could not have a steep incline because of new building rules (at that time)?

I do remember hearing something like that but they still could of stacked to upper sections and kept the same pitch. Not sure if those building codes are still in place because the north endzone seems to break most of them.

I call B.S. If there's any place that could get an exception it would be Kinnick.

Speaking of end zones...any updated shots of the North End Zone? Is if finally complete?

They need to change the lettering outside the East stands too. And spiff it up. That side of Kinnick looks like a prison wall. It wouldn’t take much to make it look a lot better.

Kinnick%20Stadium1.JPG
Not sure if it's because of tuckpointing work going on or something else but the lettering on the East side has been removed.

Like it matters. One is nothing but bare brick. The other is brick, stone, steel and more accents than a Victorian mansion. Here's some dreary for you. Still looks pretty damn good. lol

5cbf22cea2108.image.jpg

Don't think there's an argument as to which is fancier. The main question is does it matter. Apparently it does to you. I would wager that it doesn't to most, and that many agree with me that less is more. To each his own.

Reactions: Natty Bumppo
Couldn't agree more. The south endzone is a design fail. If the south endzone was identical to the north just imagine what that would look and sound like.
Wonderful idea, and think how trapped the opponent would feel. Getting out my check book.

Reactions: Hawkeye_311
They need to change the lettering outside the East stands too. And spiff it up. That side of Kinnick looks like a prison wall. It wouldn’t take much to make it look a lot better.

Kinnick%20Stadium1.JPG

Tear down the east stands and build a tiered structure to match the north end zone. Then do the North the same a few years later.

:)

ADVERTISEMENT